Tracking di/miking/preamp out

Nov 6, 2006
Taylor, MI
Im planning on miking a guitar cab for an upcoming project. I also want to record a di track and the preamp out from the head(With impulse modeling). Im concerned about the miked signal not lining up with the others. The sound from the cab is obviously going to be traveling at the speed of sound while the preamp out and di are traveling at close to the speed of light.(i might be mistaken) Im wondering how any of you guys would handle this situation. I would have trouble just moving the miked signal back however many milliseconds its off because the riffs would be recorded in parts and thats just alot of room for error on my part. Anyone have a good solution?

the human ear can only detect transient response differences of around 7 to 10 milliseconds. with guitar it's a thicker overall signal.

people use reverb on guitar all the time which in essence overlaps performances in the same way that your miked cab will overlap with your DI track.

you're not venturing into scary territory unless you plan on miking the cab from WAY back, then you might run into some kind phasing, but like i said, you're not heading into anything that will sound bad unless you record it poorly.

if you're in pro tools you can zoom all the way in to the sample level which helps a lot to line up your waveforms. your DI will look a LOT different than the miked cab though. try printing a track of the impulse and analyze next to the miked track. see how they compare in peaks and valleys

I guess it makes sense that you wouldnt be able to tell. When i edit these im going to edit them grouped together. I just want everything uniform for editing purposes. Thanks matt

hey ShredderForhire.
to record real preamp out head, how do you connect it to your interface? (line in or preamp)

i want to begin to test this method.

Im fairly certain that a line level signal comes out of the preamp out. so a line input on a firepod would be fine. But do not run your head without a load(cabinet or dummy load) Easiest way to destroy your head.