Prog Power VIII DVD (Should we have a box set?)

Michael TEOF

Master Whorebot
Mar 4, 2002
Schaumburg, IL
www.myspace.com
I think it would be better to charge 59.99 in advance like we did last year except put out a 4-6 DVD box set of all the bands that agree to be filmed at the festival (which is hopefully most/all).

Most people treat Prog Power as a vacation and bring lots of cash for a "haul"... the older I get the more money I make, the less of it I have. And all I have a is a cat to take care of -- not even a wife and kids yet! Still, I would shell up the fundage for a box set DVD. I really like the DVD idea... but I think a box set is the way to go. Two songs from each band, while enjoyable, just isn't enough. :loco:

There might be record label issues with an entire set instead of two sogns; there might be other gay issues or excuses this can't be done. Still, it's an idea. And I was wondering how many of you would support it here, before Glenn crushes my dream... kinda like you all did by providing every excuse in the world that hihat taps need to happen (even though they don't). :lol:

Mad whorebottery to all.

The Michael

I would buy one if they made one every year, i was very happy with what i got on PP Vll dvd, i sure hope they make it a every year product.

Once again, I'm glad to be reminded that I'm not the only one that gets drunk and posts on this forum...

Nice post, though...but the hi-hat issue...wow...totally uncalled for. Providing further logistics for Glenn...totally uncalled for. Making Glenn ponder new ways to generate profit $$$ for PPUSA...totally priceless...

HA!

Rock on!

A friend and I were talking about this the other day, because he had suggested the same idea to me. I think it's a great idea and I would certainly be willing to pay $60 or $70 for it ... especially with a line-up like this year's. :headbang: I also wouldn't mind the wait for the delivery of the DVD as much, knowing that it would take more time and effort to put together and produce a box set of the festival. This past year, I'll admit it was a little frustrating paying in September, expecting delivery by December and then not receiving the DVD until February, but I understood and it was worth the wait. For a DVD box set to be produced, I certainly wouldn't expect to see anything before the summer following the festival, or even more likely, the next year's (PPIX) festival. Hell, knowing how tricky video/DVD producting can be sometimes, it wouldn't surprise me if it took longer than that.
Still, I think it's an excellent idea that offers the bands more opprotunity to showcase their material and leaves open the opportunity to include all kinds of interesting extras (hidden or not) on the multiple DVDs in the box - possibly even footage from past PPs that may or may not have been given their own DVD. ;) Hey, if others can dream, so can I. :D

I think it would be better to charge 59.99 in advance like we did last year except put out a 4-6 DVD box set of all the bands that agree to be filmed at the festival (which is hopefully most/all).

Most people treat Prog Power as a vacation and bring lots of cash for a "haul"... the older I get the more money I make, the less of it I have. And all I have a is a cat to take care of -- not even a wife and kids yet! Still, I would shell up the fundage for a box set DVD. I really like the DVD idea... but I think a box set is the way to go. Two songs from each band, while enjoyable, just isn't enough. :loco:

If all the bands agreed, how long would you be willing to wait for it? :lol:

The time invested by Lucid Lounge would be at least tenfold to complete a box set with complete sets by every band (vs. two songs). Would you be willing to pay 10x the price (i.e. 59.99 x 10 = $599). OK, that may be a bit high, but what would you normally pay to buy 10 individual full length concert DVDs by ten bands (or 14 if you include the showcase bands). At $20/DVD (that would be cheap), you're looking at $200 for 10 discs and $280 for 14 discs.

I agree, it would be awesome, but logistics and finances alone would be too much to overcome. Nobody could afford to buy the final product.

Did I mention band royalites for each copy sold being factored into the final product cost? :goggly

True. Maybe it would be cooler to urge each individual band to put out their own DVD like Savage Circus did. Then you can collect them all and you have your PP boxed set.

Good idea and good concept. I would buy one but A LOT of things would have to be worked out both technically and legally. But hey, the 10 year anniversary is coming up and if things started rolling this year maybe a major box set with a cool book could happen. It would be a major effort on everyone's part but it could benefit all involved, the bands, fans & Glen if done the right way. The book could be set up like Kisstory or Lydia Criss's book and presale would have to be a must.

You guys are all crazy. The only reason I'm saying it would cost more would be for licensing agreements with labels and what not. That would be the only increased cost justification. The material is already filmed; you either put it on the DVD or you don't. But this 600 dollars or 100 dollars or what not... geez?! What kind of money are you people made of? And how much profit does Glenn need? :)

The Michael

You guys are all crazy. The only reason I'm saying it would cost more would be for licensing agreements with labels and what not. That would be the only increased cost justification.

The Michael
It's not Glenns profit, though he may see something from the sales. Licensing costs are also not the only justification for price increase.
You have to account for the engineers/producers time for initial editing which means going through the entire set for each band, viewing multiple angles from say 7 cameras, compile that into a rough usable form for the bands and synch that up with the initial audio portion. So that could easily be over a hundred hours right there (7 angles x 10-14 bands x whatever the setlengths are). And they'd probably do 2-3 different edits of the performance, and perhaps let the band choose whch they want to use.

You also have packaging/reproduction costs, shipping of master tapes (or discs of master files) to the bands for overdubbing. I'm sure bands would want to recoup any costs involved in overdubs. After the overdubs are submitted, you'll have re-editing and resynching of the audio/video tracks. Then you'll have final mastering costs - matching levels of the songs, smoothing out overall sound variances from band to band... basically what people are complaining about with this disc from what I have seen on the board.

Then, as you mentioned - logistics with labels, artists, final approvals (that would include review/approval for use of stills if it is in their contracts), order of the billing (who is on top of the marquee, etc)

Then, if it was a box set, you'd have to pay a still photog (see Fiddler) to assure that you get excellent quality photos in a format that can be reproduced (I forget what the file format is, but is specifies shades, colors, intensity, etc, so that the booklet would look just as the photog intended when reproduced).
I'm sure I left a few steps out, but a higher cost would be justifiable, and the workload increase would be exponential.
From a consumer standpoint - it sucks.

A boxset is needed and wanted. I discussed it with other friends who attended and we'd all buy it. Since it's already filmed, they could put out both - a 2 song highlights DVD for those on a budget, and a complete performance boxset for those who can afford it and we'd all be happy to wait for whatever production time was necessary to get it done right. More $$$ for PPUSA and more goodies for the musicians and fans! :headbang:

And they said it was good, and it was good. :kickass:

Another advantage of this idea is that it would appeal to people like me...

I like some of the bands very much and a lot of the bands very little. This makes the 2-songs-each DVD less interesting to me because I'd get few songs from the bands I care about. To get their whole performance, however, would be terrific!

-Tanelorn