ProgArchives

dtguitarfan

Prog Lover
Oct 1, 2008
Chattanooga, TN
So there is a site called ProgArchives that is kinda like the Wikipedia of Prog. It's like a gigantic database of all kinds of progressive music. It also contains a forum, and if you have set up an account there, you can rate albums on the main page. For some reason Progressive Metal never makes it very high on the top 100 lists. I say we change that...who's with me?!! ;)

You mean becoming a regular at the biggest congregation of prog nerds/prog snobs in the whole entire internet (aside from the Portnoy and the Dream Theater forums)?

LOL no, thank you. I mean, I like prog metal/rock a lot, but not to that extent.

Your inaction is part of the reason people who like Prog Metal consider that page to be just for nerds/snobs. Also, I'm nit saying you should go read/participate in the forum, just rate some albums, man!

Your inaction is part of the reason people who like Prog Metal consider that page to be just for nerds/snobs.

Ummm no, I am going by the fact that the vast majority of people who are regulars in that site are the typical prog fans who are "open minded" to prog and pretty much nothing else. Sorry, but I guess we'll agree to disagree. I just have no more patience for die-hards that are condscending and make it a point to remind people about how much their favorite obscure prog bands are better than anything else.

dtguitarfan said:
Also, I'm nit saying you should go read/participate in the forum, just rate some albums, man!

Gotcha. Again, thanks but no thanks. It's not that I don't like the music enough, I just don't have time to raise my progmetal banner and fight the progmetal crusade anymore, trying to convert people into fans. If people like something, great. I'll go as far as introducing new bands to people, but that's about it. :)

MelbCro said:
A great site, have found lots of amazing music through it

It is a strong resource to discover bands indeed, though this forum here offers a lot of that as well.

Also, it's always cool to read the main page album descriptions of laserd.com. I've used their site repeatedly not just to buy music, but also to discover new names. Ken is usually pretty damn accurate and sincere about the music, and his descriptions are often funny as well.

It is a strong resource to discover bands indeed, though this forum here offers a lot of that as well.

Yes, but on this site the only way to discover a new band is if someone happens to be talking about them. Just think of this: the #1 album by ProgArchives' rating system is Close to the Edge by Yes. I think it deserves that place because of it's historical significance. But that's besides the point. How many votes did it take to get that coveted spot? In the low two thousands. Go check some of your favorite bands' facebook pages and see how many "likes" they have. I checked Seventh Wonder and they're in the six thousands and I never considered them that well known. Point is we could blow the top off of EVERY ALBUM ON THEIR LIST. And you know what would happen if we did? Our favorite bands would start getting more Facebook "likes", selling more albums...and maybe someday they'd quit their jobs because the band is now bringing in enough money to support them!

Yes, but on this site the only way to discover a new band is if someone happens to be talking about them.

Fair enough.

dtguitarfan said:
How many votes did it take to get that coveted spot? In the low two thousands.

Maybe people have more things to do with their time? LOL

dtguitarfan said:
Go check some of your favorite bands' facebook pages and see how many "likes" they have. I checked Seventh Wonder and they're in the six thousands and I never considered them that well known. Point is we could blow the top off of EVERY ALBUM ON THEIR LIST. And you know what would happen if we did? Our favorite bands would start getting more Facebook "likes", selling more albums...and maybe someday they'd quit their jobs because the band is now bringing in enough money to support them!

I applaud your effort and desire to help out the bands that you like, especially in the prog metal scene. However, let's be honest here, it's easier said than done. It's going to take a LOT of record purchased in order for a band like SW to be able to live off their music (in fact, considering what some of their day jobs are, it would almost be silly to leave them behind). Facebook likes doesn't equal album sales. Metal fans like to express their love for the bands, and how much they support them and such... but the majority of them won't buy the album and won't attend the show. It's so much easier to download the album and not spend $10, you know?