Riverside return to Nearfest

lasercd

Man Behind The Curtain
Dec 26, 2002
www.lasercd.com
Riverside will be opening for Steve Hackett at Nearfest's Friday night showcase event. Here is the info:

"NEARfest 2010 is proud to present as the opening band for Alumni Night Friday, Poland's very own Riverside. Founded in 2001 by guitarist Piotr Grudzinski, drummer Piotr Kozieradzki and bassist/vocalist Mariusz Duda, with keyboardist Michal Lapaj joining soon after the recording of their debut album, Riverside have been on a steady climb up the progressive metal ladder impressing fans and media alike. Experts have called them a stylistic mix of Pink Floyd, Tool, Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater and, with the completion of the trilogy of albums Out Of Myself, Second Life Syndrome and Rapid Eye Movement, they have emerged with their own very distinct style. Since their pivotal appearance at Nearfest 2006, Riverside have grown and matured into one of the most important and influential bands on the scene today.
With their latest release, Anno Domini High Definition, Riverside has composed an album which is a perfect reflection of our times. Duda summarizes "It's an album about people who know they need to speed up or they'll get left behind. About people who sometimes, despite themselves, will stop at nothing to achieve their aims. It's an album about chaos, constant race, uncertainty, stress, and the struggle to survive." ADHD marks a temporary climax in the quartet's work, reflecting the energy and spirit of the early 70's. Recalling such bands as Rush, Deep Purple and Tangerine Dream with added modern sonic sensibilities, Riverside have developed an album which ultimately sounds like………. Riverside.
The band have just concluded their most extensive and successful tour to date, 45 shows in 3 months across Poland and Europe. Their enthusiastic fan base is growing steadily and glowing reviews of their albums and live shows are still being written. Recently, ADHD has found its rightful position in top spots on several Best of 2009 polls most notably, #3 on the Progarchives poll, #2 on the Gagliarchives poll and as a #1 selling album in Poland. It is with great honor that NEARfest 2010 is able to present in a sophomore appearance, the indomitable Riverside. "

Well, hopefully they'll swing through NYC or Jersey and do a show like last time. Not driving to out there for one, maybe two bands. Not interested in much else there, I'm afraid. Not yet anyway.

Well, hopefully they'll swing through NYC or Jersey and do a show like last time. Not driving to out there for one, maybe two bands. Not interested in much else there, I'm afraid. Not yet anyway.

A one-off show in NY with Riverside and Pineapple Thief would RULE.

By the way, anyone who likes Porcupine Tree and the likes, SHOULD listen to Pineapple Thief.

Riverside and Pineapple Thief in one weekend.... Brings tears to my eyes...

Never could get into Pineapple Thief, so that isn't a draw, but the fact that Iona will be there has gotten me interested in going back.

It has been a long time since I've been to NEARFest. I should go back at some point.

I seem to recall them selling Friday only tickets in the past. Hoping they still do this, as I'm interested in Riverside, and pretty much no one else at this point (I saw Pineapple Thief at RoSFest a couple of years ago, and don't feel like paying for a two day festival to see them again).

dt