ProgPower Bands 2006

Something about Nevermore just keeps pushing me away. Probably the vocals. They have really great lyrics, and Loomis is obviously a monster of a player, but I just don't like their songwriting style or something.

Honestly, I think Loomis is WAY overrated. technically I can tell he is pretty sound and plays smoothly and what have you, but his solo compositions is SO boring and unoriginal. It's got that syndrome of bland metal solos that goes like this. SCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALE RUN, resolve on a bend, repeat. Try working some actual melody or rhythmic variance in there for once! I just can't deal with that type of guitar play anymore, it reminds me of every single amature metal band with a mediocre guitarist who doesn't really take the time to learn how to compose an worthwhile solo.

I figured it was the boring rythym work. Ugh. With me, they fall in to the same trap that Dream Theatre does...

chugchugchugchugchugchugchug ::dissociated technical solo that loses all beauty because it's so glaringly out of a useful context::: chugchugchugchugchug.

There is a fine line between believing in simple rythym work along with technical lead and becoming a gigantic wankery guitar diva. Symphony X comes down on this side of the line... DT and Nevermore fall distinctly on the other side.

EDIT: Well said SyXified.

SyXified, I really disagree with the sentiment on Loomis. He has plenty of really well composed solo parts (check the songs The River Dragon Has Come, This Godless Endeavor, The Final Product, This Sacriment, etc).

Besides, Nevermore's music is chaotic, dissonant, and brutal. Soaring, melodic soloing is really not what the surrounding music calls for, so Jeff's chaotic, dissonant style fits well IMO, and I don't seem to find his runs any more wanky than a lot of the 80s shrapnel guys.

Yeah Loomis' style fits perfectly with what Nevermore does...YngX gave good examples.

And yes....PP Australia got canned...which sux because my band was on the bill.

OfSinsAndShred said:
Something about Nevermore just keeps pushing me away. Probably the vocals. They have really great lyrics, and Loomis is obviously a monster of a player, but I just don't like their songwriting style or something.

Yeah, same here. By all accounts they're a talented group, but I find the music generally bland and uninteresting... and I'm not really sure why.

Yngvai X said:
Nevermore's music is ... brutal.

:lol:

Sure, if you spend all your time listening to Yanni. I guess it's the "in" thing to hate Nevermore, but whatever. I don't think they suck, but at the same time I don't listen to them anywhere near as much as I used to. I guess you could say that my feelings towards them turned from like to indifference. They do what they do well, and I give them credit for that. More power to them for getting more exposure and a larger fanbase.

SyXified said:
Honestly, I think Loomis is WAY overrated. technically I can tell he is pretty sound and plays smoothly and what have you, but his solo compositions is SO boring and unoriginal. It's got that syndrome of bland metal solos that goes like this. SCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALE RUN, resolve on a bend, repeat. Try working some actual melody or rhythmic variance in there for once! I just can't deal with that type of guitar play anymore, it reminds me of every single amature metal band with a mediocre guitarist who doesn't really take the time to learn how to compose an worthwhile solo.

Actually, he doesn't write his solos beforehand, he improvises most of them in the studio.

I have an odd opinion when it comes to Nevermore; I'm obsessed with Dead Heart In A Dead World, but I dislike almost everything else they've done and I can't stand the new album. I can see why some people love Nevermore, but no matter how much I try, I just can't seem to like anything but Dead Heart.

I wish I could somehow get to Atlanta, because just seeing Pyramaze, Thunderstone, and Vision Divine on the same day would be incredible. Maybe I can start selling stuff to make enough money for a plane ticket.

no one said all thrash = nevermore. that logic made no sense.

And nevermore is a brutal band. Sure, songs like "the heart collecter" aren't going to have anyone slam dancing, but look at the majority of Enemies of Reality. There's some death metal riffing on there even.

Why is Van being overlooked too? He's a fucking monster drummer.

DoomsdayZach said:
And nevermore is a brutal band.

Zach, I have to disagree with you there. I like the band very much, but in no way brutal. A great representative for diverse heavy metal, but definitely not brutal.

Who I am excited about for the preparty is Leatherwolf :headbang:

Soul of Ice said:
Zach, I have to disagree with you there.

Well then you'd be wrong dude. Sorry, not my fault. here, lemme quote the bible to show you:

Jesus said:
23. And then down from thine heavens comith a man upon thine leather steed.
24. And the man said unto the people "Yea, for i am Zakkis of Washington, and i impart upon thee my wisdom and bestow thee with my knowledge"
25. And Zakkis of Washington did tell thine people God's holy truth, and it was good

So nevermore is brutal, and the bible says i'm right. Your move :D