ProgPower on a Budget

Oct 4, 2007
Howdy:

This is my first time at Progpower, and I certainly wouldn't miss seeing Threshold, Primal Fear, Virign Steele & Sonata Artica for the world.

Now to my question: What is the best way to do this on a relatively tight budget--so as to allow more $$ for merchandise?

I'll be driving in from Knoxville, and I plan on hitting Atlanta at about 3-4. Are there relatively cheap motels in the area (by cheap I mean at about 50-60 per night), or would I be better off getting one out of town. (I plan on staying overnight on Friday and driving back late on Saturday).

What about parking options? Is it easy to get relatively cheap parking, or would I be stuck with the $15 dollar lots?

How about food? What's nearby?

Any advice you could give me on budgeting would be most appreciated. (I'm hoping to spend less than $100 total, not including any merchandise I pick up).

Or is such a thing even possible?

I doubt you'll find a place within walking distance to the venue for $60. You might be able to find something in the city but you'll probably be paying for parking at both the hotel & venue which increases what you're paying quite a bit. Just outside of Atlanta would probably be the best bet.
Try hotels.com maybe. I see a few places listed for under $50 even but how good they are and where they are located I haven't a clue since I'm not local.

Will $100 even cover your gas????
I think you should have planned this one a bit better my friend.

I wasn't including gass in the equation, since from Knoxville to Atlanta should take up a full tank or so--which is about $35.

Absent any other advice, I'll probably grab a motel outside the city. I can pick up a coupon book on the road, and as long as it's not Days Inn, they'll probably honor it, so I can spend 50-60 bucks.

What about parking at the venue? How much might that run me?

I don't really have any advice for you since this is my first year but it is cool to see another Tennesse resident going to PP. I am in the tri cities. We are getting rooms in the price range you mentioned only because my buddies relative gets a good discount. $ 100.00 is going to be tricky from what I understand. Good Luck!

Hello i don't really know too much about parking, i would like too know more myself but i have heard anywhere from $5.00 To $25 to park With so many staying at hotels near by the venue i would think alot will walk, so parking may not be too bad..But i would plan on as much as $25 but go for Cheaper and the closest to the venue as you can get for the money with you being on a budget.I hope this helps you a little..Hope you have fun!

You could still check out this thread: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/progpower-usa/336362-progpower-usa-hotel-shuttle-reminder.html for your hotel. There is a ProgPower discount.

For Parking:
Go past Earthlink Live and take the first left off of W. Peachtree St. It's a small side street that leads to a parking deck below the Law School. It's always been $5 to park there, but I haven't tried it since last year. You have to use a credit card as it's automated.
The open lot across 17th is only $10 iirc. Don't park under Earthlink, as it's the most expensive option.

I'm bored, so this may or may not help. http://www.motel6.com/ms/select-stay.do

Motel 6 decatur, ga #4353
2572 candler rd
i-20 at candler rd/sr 155, exit #65
Decatur, GA, 30032
Phone: (404) 243-6679 | Fax: (678) 500-7099

ACCESSIBLE KING BED NON-SMOKING + Full Description
ACCESSIBLE KING BED NON-SMOKING Standard Rate $44.99 USD*

*Rate changes during stay - select rate for details

Since you have a car, and it sounds like you have more time than money, this might be for you...

Thanks everyone for the advice. I guess i'll have to play it by ear, depending on how far I want to drive, what coupons I can get at the TN/Georgia boarder rest-stop and other factors. Fortunately, I can charge it.