ProgPower USA XII Roster Discussion

Arcturus, without question, is the oddball in all this. My only concern is Sanctuary. As you know, they became Nevermore. You know what happened the last two times Nevermore was booked. Will Sanctuary pull the same thing?

Though this is a great lineup, I agree that Glenn is taking a major risk. Arcturus is supposedly reuniting next year, as is Sanctuary (to a point). Unless you are a child of the 80's, you are not going to remember Sanctuary, or how they became Nevermore. Arcturus is unknown to many people. Friday is a high-risk, high-reward situation that can easily blow up. That said, this lineup is the finest since I have been on this board, and should have no problem selling out Center Stage very early.

Hail to the Harvester! Amongst promoters, Glenn is God! :worship::worship::worship:

To me this isn't an issue of unfamiliarity. I have heard all but two of these bands, most of them extensively. The truth of the matter is there is only one band on the entire bill I like enough to consider spending all the money to go see. Labyrinth in case anyone is curious.

therion doesn't draw well in the US which is why they said they weren't comic back. Since this is a US exclusive show, I imagine this show is going to be a stop on some S. American tour with a stop or two in Mexico.

Not completely true...Therion doesn't draw well in Idaho, Oklahoma, and some of the other stops from the 30-something first time headlining tour they did. Terrible booking. They lost money because their agent at the time sucked and booked them in places with more cows than people.

Though this is a great lineup, I agree that Glenn is taking a major risk. Arcturus is supposedly reuniting next year, as is Sanctuary (to a point). Unless you are a child of the 80's, you are not going to remember Sanctuary, or how they became Nevermore. Arcturus is unknown to many people. Friday is a high-risk, high-reward situation that can easily blow up. That said, this lineup is the finest since I have been on this board, and should have no problem selling out Center Stage very early.

Sanctuary did not become Nevermore.
Plenty of people who aren't children of the 80's know Sanctuary. I do, and I spoke to at least 4 tonight who are completely stoked for them.

I do agree that Arcturus might be unknown to many people...in the ProgPower forum community. The ones who jack off Petrucci every chance they get. But they're a huge draw in the metal community and will absolutely get more people interested in the festival....a lot more people...just not the same people who have been checking out the lineups for the past 10 years. And that's not a bad thing at all.

Not completely true...Therion doesn't draw well in Idaho, Oklahoma, and some of the other stops from the 30-something first time headlining tour they did. Terrible booking. They lost money because their agent at the time sucked and booked them in places with more cows than people.

They toured twice. The second time they chose locations more carefully. They lost their asses... again. That's when they stated they weren't coming back to the US, except for a one-off festival appearance type deal.

I'm unfarmiliar with all but 3 of the bands. Mob Rules (meh), Eldritch (cool), and Therion (ok).

As I've been checking out the rest of the bands via myspace samples, this lineup is going to rock! I can't wait to start buying CD's!

Rather, a lack of dream theater prog, because thee is progressive music there.

Voyager and Therion make it worth it on their own. Arctururus, Sanctuary, WHW, this is going to be a great time. I'll have to check out some of these bands including Labyrinth, Mob Rules, Dream Evil, Creations End, and Eldritch.

I'm just wondering about the strength of this being a sell-out. While most of people on forum seem enthused about the line-up, we have to remember that lots of the people that go to ProgPower aren't on this forum.

I've been to PP since PP3, and since Glenn started the video announcement, from where I was sitting - that was the least excited/amount of response given to band announcments that I've seen.

Some of the bands had good responses (best was Dream Evil I thought), but it seemed more a "Who's that?", then a "Holy *$&*!!!!!!!".

I agree its definitely the most diverse lineup, and how you shouldn't judge PP just by the bands you know.

But it's the wallets that count in the end - and it seems like if it took awhile for this year to sell out, then next year's going to be a LOT harder.

Everyone on here might research the bands, give them a fair shake...but not everyone does that. And $120+ travel expenses is a hard pitch

I could be completely wrong, but I'm just not seeing that same positive buzz from Facebook and other forums. More comments such as 'ProgPower seems to have gotten away from being about Prog & Power', etc.

As for me, highlight was Mob Rules!

I for one love the diversity of the line up. While Heaven Wept was a very pleasant surprise and I've heard people ranting about Arcturus for some time so finally got brave and listed to some stuff last night and was encouraged by what I heard. I for one and stoked about XII. Icing on the cake would be Masterplan at the Pre-show (hint Hint Shane).

Sanctuary did not become Nevermore.
Plenty of people who aren't children of the 80's know Sanctuary. I do, and I spoke to at least 4 tonight who are completely stoked for them.

I do agree that Arcturus might be unknown to many people...in the ProgPower forum community. The ones who jack off Petrucci every chance they get. But they're a huge draw in the metal community and will absolutely get more people interested in the festival....a lot more people...just not the same people who have been checking out the lineups for the past 10 years. And that's not a bad thing at all.

100% true. When Sanctuary's debut came out (87 I believe?) I was 3 years old. If everything goes well, it will be a hell of a show. Same for Arcturus. People around here just really need to break from the fucking prog/power bubble and expand their tastes a bit.

The one thing I can say is that this lineup is most definitely not newbie-friendly. :lol:

I'm just wondering about the strength of this being a sell-out. While most of people on forum seem enthused about the line-up, we have to remember that lots of the people that go to ProgPower aren't on this forum.

I've been to PP since PP3, and since Glenn started the video announcement, from where I was sitting - that was the least excited/amount of response given to band announcments that I've seen.

Some of the bands had good responses (best was Dream Evil I thought), but it seemed more a "Who's that?", then a "Holy *$&*!!!!!!!".

I agree its definitely the most diverse lineup, and how you shouldn't judge PP just by the bands you know.

But it's the wallets that count in the end - and it seems like if it took awhile for this year to sell out, then next year's going to be a LOT harder.

Everyone on here might research the bands, give them a fair shake...but not everyone does that. And $120+ travel expenses is a hard pitch

As for me, highlight was Mob Rules!

Well stated. I agree all around!

I saw them in Poughkeepsie with 20 other people a month after they played NYC. A venue that regularly draws 500+ for sonata arctica, kamelot, and nightwish even with a stop in NYC two days before.

I think that Arcturus is going to be a huge asset to ticket sales... And Arcturus playing this show will be big for their comeback. Win/win. I am excited but I refuse to acknowledge that excitement until I know it is going happen, I just have a feeling it's gonna fall through. Everyone who knows Arcturus is gonna find a way to see them. Everyone who doesn't know them is gonna listen to them and be blown away. Such an amazing band with stellar live performances. I am hoping for some cool circus shit as well :loco:

100% true. When Sanctuary's debut came out (87 I believe?) I was 3 years old. If everything goes well, it will be a hell of a show. Same for Arcturus. People around here just really need to break from the fucking prog/power bubble and expand their tastes a bit.

The one thing I can say is that this lineup is most definitely not newbie-friendly. :lol:

I don't know about that. From where I'm sitting there is some genre expansion and to me that is friendly to newbies. Now in terms of it appealing to newbies that have always wanted to go for the basic prog and power, yes it isn't newbie-friendly.

One thing's for sure: "The Formula" is out the window for next year. We'll have to wait and see how it works out.
What really struck me was the absence of "Buzz" bands on the roster.

I guess we can assume it's Votex instead of Garm. Garm would be epic.

Garm is a studio guy, maybe he's done a few shows lately but he hasn't done anything vocally powerful in them... not without the aid of electronics. Vortex can deliver the goods live. He's energetic and a really nice and funny guy. And above all else, he can sing.

What really struck me was the absence of "Buzz" bands on the roster.

That's one thing that struck me when I was coming up with my roster for the contest thread...there really haven't been many buzz bands lately. I'm not even sure who would qualify for that title anymore.