Progressive(?) Metal?

I want to find some recent quality releases in this genre... I have heard a bit of what I think is prog metal...

Dream Theater - Greatest Hit (And...) compilation and I love this one, gonna grab their new album on pay day this week.

Opeth - "Blackwater Park" & "Ghost Reveries", I"m thinking of grabbing the "Candlelight Years" box set cheap second hand...

Kalisia - "Cybion" I"m not sure if this is strictly progressive death metal or what not but it's listed as such at Metal-archives...

I enjoy all of them although Ghost Reveries has a certain tackiness about it that doesn't grab me, like it's a little bit too well produced...

So yeah any other reccomendations, prefer post 2000 or even in the last 3 years releases...

Thank you :kickass::headbang::OMG::worship:

Just fyi you're basically getting two kinda of recs here as there's two meanings of the term "progressive metal" - one being, metal that is progressive, which is obviously what you're asking as you listed Opeth, who don't fit into the other meaning, which is..well.. http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=19 - bit too much wanking for my tastes.

Everything I've heard from him so far has been complete and utter shit

I don't care for SYL, with the exception of "The New Black", which is fun/funny. The whole album is clearly tongue-in-cheek, and groovy.

As stated above, most of the his solo material is awesome though. I HIGHLY recommend AE, with the others mentioned coming behind but still good.

awakentheguardian.jpg

Now.

Most Opeth fans like Agalloch and Enslaved too. Get The Mantle, Ashes Against the Grain, and The White from Agalloch and Below the Lights, Ruun, and Vertebrae from Enslaved.

Pirania - Between Dream and Nightmare
Introspection
Myrath - Hope
Symphony X - The Damnation Game
Adagio - Archangels In Black
Vision Divine - The Perfect Machine
Jordan Rudess - Rhythm of Time (if you consider it metal)
Dream Theater - Train of Thought
This.

Without Symphony X.

Dream Theater - Greatest Hit (And...) compilation and I love this one, gonna grab their new album on pay day this week.

Frankly you've gotta be careful about picking Dream Theater albums. A lot of them are just absolute shit, and this seems to be more the trend the later you go in their career. I'd recommend Images and Words way above the rest - imo that's their only album that's pure quality from start to end.

Also, as mentioned earlier, Fates Warning is a must.

I know I will probably get a few flames for this opinion, but Train of Thought is their best album imo. Maybe not from a technical aspect, but the song writing is much better.

I would not recommend Train of Thought nor Falling into Infinity; Not only are they the two worst albums in their discography but also from a more objective viewpoint, poor representatives of the style that they are known for.

I would not recommend Train of Thought nor Falling into Infinity; Not only are they the two worst albums in their discography but also from a more objective viewpoint, poor representatives of the style that they are known for.

I agree, and I'll throw in Octavarium as well.

Sorry, but ToT is just horrible. Check out the new album for heavy done right.