Quick thoughts on 2013 releases so far...

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
I don't get everything, but this is what I have so far....

AnVision- Astral Phase: Ken calls them a prog metal Eloy. They are indeed a heavier version of the Polish Invasion Sound Syndrome (PISS for short) ala Riverside, Votum,etc. Disc is a bit inconsistent, especially in the vocal department, but I still enjoyed it.

Circle II Circle- Seasons Will Fall: It's the band's best release since the debut. Zak still sounds phenomenal after all these years. I'm biased as hell as I prefer the tunes that have that classic Tage vibe. I can't say that I'm a huge fan of that guitar tone though to be honest.

Crash Diet- The Savage Playground: Sleazy 80's cock rock at it's finest. I'm not even sure the new Hardcore Superstar is going to top this one.

Dante- November Red: This one came out of nowhere. It's heavier melodic metal ala Tomorrow's Eve. I still haven't given it the time it deserves, but all prog fans should have this on their radar.

DGM- Momentum: It's the perfect title. They have a ton of it going forward as they have actually taken it up a notch from the previous disc. I will say that *this* is how you do a proper Russell Allen guest spot.

Disperse- Living Mirrors: This one hit me like a sledge hammer. Combine complex prog with that PISS style of vocals and you get a total winner. The hooks are not as immediate, but once you absorb what's going on you will be in awe. Both the guitar & bass are world class.

Dreamshade- The Gift of Life: It's the catchy side of Soilwork complete with better guitar leads.

Emergency Gate- You: It's the heavier side of Soilwork complete with ...well not exactly..but you get the picture.

Eternal Tears of Sorrow- Saivon Lapsi: The closest comparison would be Amorphis. However, they are a bit more slick with the polish. I only got this today, but so far, so good.

Helker- Somewhere in the Circle: Finally, a bit of dark & dirty power metal arrives. Vocalist comes from the RJD school and elevates this disc because it could use a bit more in the chorus hook department.

Jorn- Symphonic: Yeah..it's Jorn. It's the same cake, but a different icing.

Kingcrow- In Crescendo: I make no secret of my love for this band. When I'm sitting outside in the evening with a glass of wine, this is my go to disc. I want to point out that they have a better dynamic sound & production on this disc than any "name" producer out there currently. My speakers bleed with separation & clarity.

Mutum- Premonitions of War: It's Epica lite with a bit of the Delain vibe thrown in here & there. Good stuff, but outside my preference zone.

My Soliloquy- The Interpreter: It's a quirkier Threshold (shocker since it's Pete doing everything). If you haven't heard it, prepare yourself for the most English of English accents. To me, that just makes it sound even more prog.

Persefone- Spiritual Migration: Death metal Dream Theater. The musicianship is off the charts. The clean vocal lines are increasing, but the growls rule here.

Riverside- Shrine of the New Generation Slaves: Sorry, but this ranks at the bottom of their discography for me. Pain of Salvation can keep the retro sound to themselves.

Saxon- Sacrifice: Some great tunes...some fillers. Thus, it's basically like every other Saxon disc over the past decade.

Serenity- War of Ages: The band has cranked up the intensity this time with a lot of uptempo numbers that makes Kamelot go...hey wait a second.. Clementine does continue to add another dimension to the band's sound. The duets are ace.

Sleepers Awake- Transcension: Is there such a thing as "occult prog?" I normally don't do this guitar tone & atmosphere, but they throw enough twists along the way to keep my interest high.

Soilwork- The Living Infinite: I haven't been able to listen to both discs back to back yet. It's that overwhelming. They do go back to the earlier style quite a bit, but they continue to pound away with the catchy shit that I love. You can tell the masters can still teach the class.

Stratovarius- Nemesis: This actually wins shocker of the year so far. The songwriting is consistent and it has some of the catchiest hooks since Visions. Welcome back gentlemen!

Tellus Requiem- Invictus (The 11th Hour): Traditional prog metal that I need to give more listens too. While it's a good disc, I can't help but believe I didn't hear that "spark" I listen for with the first spin.

Time Grid- Life: While not on the level of Beyond the Bridge, they have that same vibe with the dueting vocals. Lots of recent prog metal lacks warmth. They have it.

Voodoo Circle- More Than One Way Home: The best fucking Whitesnake disc since "Slide It In." This one will be in the player longer than any disc released this year.

W.E.T.- Rise Up: Jeff Scott Soto + outstanding song writing = best AoR. In fact, I dare proclaim this as the best music Jeff has been involved with..yeah..suck on that O'Neil.

I only have a few so far this year.

Helloween - Straight out of Hell - One of the better Helloween albums in years. My only gripe is that there's too many songs.

Voivod - Target Earth - A great return to form.

Paradox - Tales of the Weird - I can't say enough about this album. Straight up facemelter from beginning to end, with a cool Rainbow cover. I know it's early, but I would be shocked if anything tops this for me this year.

Disperse- Living Mirrors: This one hit me like a sledge hammer. Combine complex prog with that PISS style of vocals and you get a total winner. The hooks are not as immediate, but once you absorb what's going on you will be in awe. Both the guitar & bass are world class.

Amazing band, been following them for a while now. Check out their debut as well, amazing album. The guitarist Jakub Zytecki is an immense talent, the new Petrucci of prog

From Glenn's list, there are a few that are certs for me like WET which I have on pre-order so should come any day now. Also need to hear DGM, Serenity and Voodoo Circle.

My mixed list so far is:

Athelstan - The Ride
Derdian - Limbo
Eclipse Prophecy - Days Of Judgement
Edge - Heaven Knows
Enforcer - Death By Fire
Envinya - Inner Silence
Giant X - I
Hatriot - Heroes Of Origin
Helloween - Straight Out Of Hell
Incarnator - Caeca Superstitio
Jorn - Symphonic
Lancer - st
Oblivion - Called To Rise
Sorcery - Arrival At Six
Stratovarius - Nemesis
Suffocation - Pinnacle of Bedlam
Tainted Nation - F.E.A.R.
Vandroya - One

The top 3 from above are Stratovarius, Helloween and Tainted Nation.

Glenn, which songs do you count as fillers on the Saxon-Sacrifice disc? I'm a huge Saxon fan of course, but for me this is all good, and most likely their best since Lionheart. Standing In A Queue is the only that could qualify as a filler in my book. The rest is excellent IMO.

The Helker is excellent.

Did you check out Tainted Nation-F.E.A.R.? More good stuff.

The Shakra-Powerplay is another damn fine disc for them as well. More of the same, but so well done. And I love the guitar tone.

You like Whitesnake and bluesy stuff? What do you think of the Snakecharmer-s/t disc? Very good IMO.

Did you hear one of my faves of 2013 so far? Which is Audrey Horne-Youngblood. Classic rock-style with a modern edge.

Just heard the Voodoo Circle once so far, but I like it quite a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad the vocals more or less prevent me to enjoy that disc, cause the music is good and is indeed a return to form...

I have to agree with this....
With Blacky back in the band, Snake is indeed the weakest link in the band at this point. That being said, he still has one of the most unique voices in the history of metal and he knows how to use it. Just not as "Creative" as in the past. Overall it is a great album that should take any old school fan back to the time of Dimension and Nothingface....

And while it might shock some of you to hear this (*sarcasm*) album of the year for me so far is Manilla Road's Mysterium.

Fanboyism aside, this is their best in a long time.
Being more active again as a live band has definitely helped improved their songwriting. Their last two were solid but I felt they had songs that were too long and repetitive just for the sake of being epic.

This is the first time I would actually recommend their latest album as a starting point for someone new to them.

This year is already shaping up to be a killer year!!!

Aeon Zen - Enigma: very talented and melodic Prog metal from the U.K.
Circle II Circle - Seasons Will Fall: never been the biggest CIIC fan, but this album takes me back to Edge of thorns era 'Tage
DGM - Momentum: an amazing folllow up to FrAme
Gloryhammer - Tales From the Kingdom: Alestorm's Chris Bowes power metal project worships at the altar of Rhapsody
Hatriot - Heroes of Origin: for fans of Zetro era Exodus..great thrash metal
Heavatar- Opus I All My Kingdoms: I'm not a fan of Van Canto, but this is a great power metal album from VC singer Stefan Schmidt
Karnya - Coverin' Thoughts: great melodic prog in the DT vein from Italy..surprised me with how good it is
Kingcrow - In Crescendo: prog metal album of the year so far
My Soliloquy - The Interpreter: great prog metal, although the vocals take some getting used to
Odd Dimension - The Last Embrace to Humanity: just started listening to this one, but it falls in the melodic prog category
Paradox - Tales of the Weird: great release, too bad this band's singer seems to be cursed by health issues
Pink Cream 69 - Ceremonial: not a bad release, but not as good as In10sity
Riverside - Shrine of New Generation Slaves: I like this album, but Kingcrow has been dominating my playlist
Serenity - War of Ages: amazing follow up to Death & Legacy, Clementine fits the band perfectly
Solisia - UniverSeasons: symphonic power/prog from Italy featuring DGM bass player and new vocalist Elie Syrelia has a unique voice that sets her apart from the Simone/Tarja/Floor comparisons
Stratovarius - Nemesis: after 2 so-so releases, this one really grabbed me
Tellus Requiem- Invictus (The 11th hour): amazing prog metal from Norway, need to listen to this some more
Timegrid - Life: just got this, but based on the YT clip that was posted on the forum, this is right in my wheelhouse
Vandroya - One: amazing female fronted power metal from Brazil featuring the incredible vocals of Daisa of SoulSpell
Voodoo Circle - Holy Whitesnake Batman! Killer melodic AOR hard rock.

Thanks for posting, there's always bands I end up getting into because of these lists.

Here's the 2013 albums I've gotten so far:

Buckcherry - Confessions
Crashdiet - The Savage Playground
Hatriot - Heroes of Origin
Helloween - Straight Out of Hell
Holy Grail - Ride The Void
Seduce The Heaven - Field of Dreams
Vandroya - One

Damnation Angels - Bringer of LIght (en route)

Some others not from this year:
Xandria - Neverworld's End
Morton - Come Read The Words Forbidden
Krokus (3pack mini lp sleeves) - Hardware, One Vice At A Time, Metal Rendes-vous
Korpiklaani - Jarkelo
The Deadstation - Liek Peering Into The Deepest Ocean Abyss
Seven Kingdoms - The Fire Is Mine

I found many of these bands because of you folks on this forum, so thank you! Some stand-outs for me so far

Kingcrow - In Crescendo - One of my favorite bands and this disc is awesome. Very warm and moody. I like to unwind to this
Stratovarious - Nemesis - Finally, a release worthy of their legacy. Favorite Strato disc since episode
Shakra - Powerplay- picked this up based on a vid that Labrekk posted on this forum (thanks!).
Vandroya - One - I had gotten kinda burnt out on the whole female vox thing. This band, Seven Kingdoms and ASOT have renewed my faith
A Sound of Thunder - Queen of Hell (2013? could've been 2012. Whatev) - Nina kicks so much ass, it's silly. I love everything about this band...
Helker - Inside the Circle - Dio would be proud...

Looking forward to checking out some of the other recommendations in the thread. Hopefully the last 10 months of 2013 are as good as the first 2...

I haven't listened to many 2013 releases yet. Here's what I have so far

Riverside - Shrine of New Generation Slaves - Incredible. The second half of this one is up there with the best stuff they've ever done and isn't as retro sounding as Celebrity Touch.
Kingcrow - In Crescendo - I don't get it. I like but I don't love it. Still, I can't stop listening to it. The production is fantastic.
Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing - More retro prog, not as cool as Grace for Downing was. Love the King Crimson influence in his music lately.
My Soliloquy - The Interpreter - Got this at the same time as In Crescendo so I haven't spent much time with it. What I did hear didn't catch my attention, though.

Releases from Glenn's list I'm interested in:
Dante - November Red
DGM - Momentum
Persefone - Spiritual Migration
Sleepers Awake - Transcension
Time Grid - Life

My favs for the year are Kingcrow and PC69's new CDs. Both are pretty awesome. Looking forward to the new WET and Voodoo Circle hitting my mailbox.

And the darkness continues to envelope you....
Yeah... definitely been in that headspace lately.

The Darkthrone might actually find some love in this forum. They've pretty much abandoned their Black metal sound. This disc owes more to NWOBHM and Power Metal than it does to Nordic BM. It's also been getting nothign but raver reviews. Here's one for those who might be curious...

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/55219/Rorcal-Vilagvege/

That's 'cause you keep refusing to check out the good stuff. :lol:
:yow:

I've checked out most of the discs on Glenn's list. Disperse might yet find a place in my heart. It's definitely a disc that requires multiple listens to digest. The CIIC might also be a winner. I also found the descriptions of Eternal Tears of Sorrow and VooDoo Circle intriguing. But the rest of it just isn't what's interesting me these days.