Rank the Prog Power Headliners!!

DarkOne said:
1. WOMD - Sorry, but this was a concert highlight for me. It was made more so because I thought Oliva's voice was gone, but he did the old songs justice. This was an amazing night. Make Oliva a regular.
This is the only band I've actually fallen asleep while watching. I'd feel bad about this, if the three people sitting next to me weren't sleeping when I woke up.:zzz:

Zod

General Zod said:
This is the only band I've actually fallen asleep while watching. I'd feel bad about this, if the three people sitting next to me weren't sleeping when I woke up.:zzz:

Zod

There's a famous quote about that. It goes something like this:

General Zod said:
I have no clue why anyone would want to sit during a Metal show. I wonder if these people read during sex.:loco:
Zod

Sitting? At a metal show??? So, what book do you and your wife read during sex? :D

Steve in Philly

DarkOne said:
Sitting? At a metal show??? So, what book do you and your wife read during sex?
I think I see the problem. You're under the impression the Weapons of Mass Destruction was a Metal show. With all due respect to John, opening up with five songs (five songs on a CD that had yet to be released, I might add) that consist only of vocals and keys, isn't a Metal show, it's an Elton John concert... and a bad one at that.

Zod

DarkOne said:
He didn't growl. It must not have been metal.
He didn't growl? Oh please... Like it needs to have "growling" for me to consider it "Metal".

He wasn't accompanied by guitars, drums or bass for the first three to five songs. Call me nuts, but those instruments are somewhat essential for Metal. If you want to call what Jon went out there and did, to start off his set "Metal", all the power to you.

Zod

"Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod

Zod

There's a famous quote about that. It goes something like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod
I have no clue why anyone would want to sit during a Metal show. I wonder if these people read during sex.:loco:
Zod

Sitting? At a metal show??? So, what book do you and your wife read during sex? :D

Steve in Philly"

LOL...stone cold busted
lmao.gif

General Zod said:
I think I see the problem. You're under the impression the Weapons of Mass Destruction was a Metal show. With all due respect to John, opening up with five songs (five songs on a CD that had yet to be released, I might add) that consist only of vocals and keys, isn't a Metal show, it's an Elton John concert... and a bad one at that.

Zod
Um, were we at the same show? He did open with 6 or 7 songs from his 'Tage Mahal album, but they weren't just Jon and keys...they were full band.

1. kamelot
2. angra
3. nightwish
4. edguy
5. gamma ray
6. evergrey
7. rage
8. symphony x
9. pain of salvation
10. blind guardian
11. strato
12. weapons of mass destruction
13. nevermore

'Tage Mahal did the unreleased stuff, which is actually the best Savatage stuff that wasn't released by Savatage. Afterwards, Oliva came back out to do a few Savatage ballads on piano, though I certainly wouldn't call it boring. You're obviously not a Savatage fan, which is probably why you were bored. I don't care for Nevermore, so I'm sure I'd feel the same way watching them. It's a matter of opinion. Anywho, here's my ranking for the top headliners. I'm counting any bands who have been offered at least the 90-minute setlist:

1)Pain Of Salvation (best live band ever!)
2)Angra (tons of great songs and damn good performances)
3)Symphony X (Russell Allen=model frontman)
4)Edguy (funnest band ever!)
5)Conception (a dream come true for me)
6)Stratovarius (so much more solid than I expected)
7)Weapons Of Mass Destruction (so many classic songs, but no Zak!)
8)Gamma Ray (the party never stopped--hence the curtain, right?)
9)Ark (killer performance, tons of emotion, and with a little stage presence...)
10)Kamelot (smoked the first time, not so great the second time)
11)Rage (really good performance, but the moshing ruined it)
12)Blind Guardian (cool to see them, but they really sucked that night)

and at a not-so-close 13:
Evergrey, Nightwish, and Therion

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

Mosquito said:
Where the HELL is Therion??!?! It's not present in anyone's list until just now by Met-Al. Seriously, did you guys dislike the band so much that you didn't even want to put them on your lists? :p

They weren't headliners, so I think people weren't considering them. I know they'd rate very highly on any list I'd make. --And this from the guy who, having seen tuxedo and costume weirdness backstage before the show, already had some advance warning about what was coming. :Spin: :headbang:

I'm a little confused - are we using the #4 bands or not? Some bands in the #4 slot have been included in the voting, some haven't. Here's my list using bands that haven already been voted on:

1.) Symphony X
2.) Angra
3.) Blind Guardian
4.) Stratovarius
5.) Evergrey (haven't seen them headline yet, they may move up after VII)
6.) Edguy
7.) Nevermore
8.) Gamma Ray
9.) Kamelot
10.) WMD
11.) Nightwish
12.) Pain of Salvation
13.) Rage

Favorite line ups (of III-VI)

1. III (by a hair)
2. IV
3. VI
4. V

1. Evergrey (VII) (prediction based on appearances at II and IV)
2. Symphony X (II)
3. Jon Oliva and Friends (V)
4. Nightwish (IV)
5. Kamelot (II)
6. Edguy (V)
7. Rage (IV)
8. Stratovarius (VI)
9. Angra (VI)

With special credit to Angel Dust (II), Tad Morose (V), and Manticora (VI) for being simply amazing in the lower slots.

I'm also going to agree with Met-Al that Kamelot killed at PPII, but didn't reach that level at PPV. It may have just been the fact that a great deal of Epica (the Kamelot album, not the band) is restrained and niiiiiiiice (but still very good), which doesn't work as well in a live setting as some of the more powerful tracks from Karma and The Fourth Legacy. I'd put the Kamelot from PPV after Rage in my list above.

Mosquito said:
How were they not headliners, Paul?

Because they weren't the last band of the night and, unlike (say) Nightwish, Glenn never indicated that he considered Therion a 'headliner in a lower slot.'

Or at least, that's why I'm thinking people weren't listing them. I could be wrong. :D

1.) Gamma Ray (finally saw them! excellent)
2.) Rage (second time.. even better than the first)
3.) Angra (perfect performance)
4.) Nightwish (good everytime i have seen them)
5.) Therion (excellent every show i saw them at)
6.) Kamelot (once again excellent show)
7.) Conception (once in a lifetime chance!)
8.) Blind Gaurdian (slightly dissapointed but excellent show)
9.) Nevermore (always good.. seen them 7 times already)
10.) Stratovarius (i got to see some excellent songs.. but the set was kind of disspointing)

Just my top 10...
PP3 was my favourite so far