Rapper LIL WAYNE samples STRATOVARIUS on new song

TheGraveDigger

Heavy Metal Maniac
Sep 29, 2002
Union, NJ, USA
Was listening to some new hip hop and rap songs with a buddy and when we clicked on a new Lil Wayne track titled "Sacrifice" featuring Gudda Gudda, Mack Maine, and Shanelle the first thing I noticed was I was hearing the opening to the epic "Destiny" by Stratovarius. As the rappers started to do their verses over the beat, the Stratovarius sample played continuously throughout the song.

Lil Wayne featuring Gudda Gudda, Mack Maine, and Shanelle - "Sacrifice" http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/audio/id.8119/title.lil-wayne-f-gudda-gudda-mack-maine-shanelle-sacrifice

Stratovarius - "Destiny" http://www.last.fm/music/Stratovarius/Destiny/Destiny

Looks like European Power Metal is making it's way into the ears of one of hip hop's top artists.
----

For the record, I am into certain hip hop and rap artists but Lil Wayne and these guys are not any of them. I was just shocked to hear this Stratovarius sample when clicking on the song.

Ummm.... I'm assuming Stratovarius knows about this little "borrowing," right?

I'll keep my comments about rap and hip-hop to myself. Suffice it to say that listening to the track merely reinforces my belief that there really isn't THAT much talent happening there. Pitch-tuned backing vox, simple drum programming and all.

The fact that these "artists" have to "borrow" samples or background music proves their lack of talent(s). I love Strato and this is blasphemy. Nuff said!!!!

The fact that these "artists" have to "borrow" samples or background music proves their lack of talent(s). I love Strato and this is blasphemy. Nuff said!!!!

I don't think sampling means they lack talent if they do something different with it.

“Good artists copy; great artists steal.” —Pablo Picasso (and Steve Jobs, and T.S Eliot :Smug:)

As if Stratovarius hasn't had enough crap go wrong. I think that this sucks! Another good song shit on:ill::puke:

I wouldn't be too harsh on borrowing the music. Especially if it gets Stratovarius noticed.

Maybe some power metal band will get to do a Run-DMC/Aerosmith deal someday.:)

What I want to know is who got Lil Wayne to use something from a 1996 Strato album.

Maybe Lil Wayne will appear on stage with Strato to do that song on the US tour.:)

As for the merits of rap itself, no, there's not much musical talent, but given how Godawful the lyrics in most power metal songs are, I can't knock rappers too much. At least they write good lyrics. When you can understand them anyway.

I can't knock rappers too much. At least they write good lyrics.
Are YOU kidding?? I had to stop the song after the first few lines because the lyrics were just the same drivel as 99% of the other rap I've heard. "I cut off your arm and tell you to reach. I cut out your tongue and tell you to pr----*click*". I'm sorry but lyrics about bangin' hoes, slappin'bitches, busting caps, and snortin' lines are not by and large better than power metal lyrics. Show me some thought-provoking rap songs, or at least ones that don't resort to violence or lewd sex and drugs, and then maybe you'll have a case. I really mean it, too. Please do show me. I'd actually be interested to hear a rap song (from the U.S.) that doesn't mention drugs, sex, violence, or demean women, and is still considered a "rap" song. I don't hate the style of music, but the content is way too explicit and ludicrous for me to enjoy it. :ill:

As for the Lil Wayne sample, I just don't get it. I guess it's cool that he used the intro, but it doesn't sound right to me. And no, it's not because I can't separate it from Strato. Granted I didn't listen to much, but I think it's safe to say that I got the jist in the first few seconds. I guess I don't think a beautiful, angelic melody goes well behind a gangsta-tough hard rap. But maybe the dichotomy is part of the "art" of the song.....

Tricky has some good lyrics. I really like his solo stuff (and LOVE Massive Attack, his original band...).

But overall I agree, not a fan of hip hop lyrics...
I absolutely disagree with everyone who says there is no talent in sampling and/or rapping...
Just listen to Dj Shadow.. Some brilliant sampling.. and I mean INCREDIBLE music.

I wouldn't be too harsh on borrowing the music. Especially if it gets Stratovarius noticed.

The problem is, it WON'T get Stratovarius noticed. I'd bet $1 it'll be all but impossible to find any mention of the band or the original song anywhere in the liner notes. I'll feel better if there are, because that SHOULD mean that the samples were properly licensed.

I absolutely disagree with everyone who says there is no talent in sampling and/or rapping...
Just listen to Dj Shadow.. Some brilliant sampling.. and I mean INCREDIBLE music.

Oh, I'd never say that there's NO talent in sampling and/or rapping, just as I'd never posit that there's NO talent in current pop music.....it's just that the overall level of talent is, IMO, visibly and measureably less than in, say, a band that writes and performs all their own parts for vocals, drums, guitar, bass and (maybe) keyboards, without resorting to samples, autotuning, etc.

Show me some thought-provoking rap songs, or at least ones that don't resort to violence or lewd sex and drugs, and then maybe you'll have a case. I really mean it, too. Please do show me.

I'll keep my comments about rap and hip-hop to myself. Suffice it to say that listening to the track merely reinforces my belief that there really isn't THAT much talent happening there. Pitch-tuned backing vox, simple drum programming and all.

What's the point in making generalizations over stuff you know nothing about? I don't get it... honestly. I'm not trying to be offensive here, it's a sincere question.

A) I don't know what your definition of "talent" is, but it's a moot argument. To me, talent means being able to write a good song and has nothing whatsoever to do with technical proficiency.

B) If anything, there are hip hop guys that can outplay most metal guys. The Roots for example, are some of the most proficient musicians there are. The fact that they are currently the backing band for Jimmy Fallon's show right now is proof of that. They can play anything, but when they hit the studio, they record great (read: non-showy) music. That says a lot to me.

C) Most modern metal CDs (I'd say 95%) feature fake drums (look up "sound replacing"), autotuned vocals so that the singer sings in key (unless it's extreme vocal styles) and massive amounts of editing so that it sounds like a robot is playing everything. I fail to see how metal is so much more "talented" when you have producers like Andy Sneap come out and say that he never had a client who could properly play their songs so they had to pro tool everything and edit all the mistakes.

Most rappers also don't rap about bitches and hos and busting caps. The mainstream ones do, but summing up all rap with 50 Cent etc would be like some outsider summing up all metal with Korn or Suicide Silence or whatever is hot with the kids at the time. Wu Tang Clan and a bunch of others may have violent lyrics, but they are still incredibly deep and thought provoking. Aesop's lyrics are just plain weird. I love them. There are plenty of rappers that program their own unique beats and there are others who utilize a full band.

Last edited by a moderator: