Revisiting Vanden Plas "Christ 0"

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
Well..... I suppose being the uber VP fanboy, I haven't revisited it too much. It only left my player for about two months, but I bought me a new ride (not new, but new to me anyway) ala a Nissan Quest SE with a 265W Bose system with a sub under the driver's seat. The first thing I did when I got the van home was chunk in "Silently" then January Sun." The majestic Vanden Plas sound coming from that Bose system just about made me loopy.
I can not wait until VP releases another classic.

Bryant

That was my #1 of 2006. I listened to it a few times recently .. still great. They are at or near the top of bands I want to see live. I wanted to hear that Christ Zero stuff performed.

As for a new one .. probably going to be a good long wait. I don't think they have anything cooking in regards to a new album. They talked about shooting for a live DVD several months back, but I never heard any more about that.

Britt

One of my favorite bands and right now the only band that has eluded my attendance of a live gig...thought that would have been resolved last year but I will keep my fingers crossed for PPX!!!
A far as CHRIST O goes, as much as I love their back catalog, I would have been content with them doing the entire album from start to finish...that's how much I like it!

Not to be a smartass, but this band does very little for me. Why? I have no clue. I think they're talented, but their music just doesn't keep my attention. I owned Christ O for quite some time, gave it countless spins, but I just didn't become a fan.

~Brian~

I used to be nuts about these guys, but they kinda fell off for me and I shelved everything I had on them for a good long while. I picked up Christ 0 on the super-cheap when Tower Records went under, and was shocked by how much I enjoyed, all the Jesus cereal comments I made notwithstanding. They're not a top-spot band for me these days, but I like 'em enough to hold on to all I have, and would definitely like to see 'em live eventually. Was somewhat bummed they didn't make it for the pre-party last year, but hopefully they'll get back here someday.

Funny timing. I was actually listening to it this weekend after a long hiatus. Great album. I would really like to seem them live at some point.

You can always check their forum www.faroffgrace.com/forum

I have been very out of touch, here, there and the Oldschool forum since about Christmas though. I am glad you think so much of them. It is cool when one of your pals gets heavy into a band you dig. I have been praising these guys since "The God Thing."

Bryant

That was my #1 of 2006. I listened to it a few times recently .. still great. They are at or near the top of bands I want to see live. I wanted to hear that Christ Zero stuff performed.

As for a new one .. probably going to be a good long wait. I don't think they have anything cooking in regards to a new album. They talked about shooting for a live DVD several months back, but I never heard any more about that.

Britt

Oh dude I was crushed. I tried to convince myself I was hallucinating for a short while and none of the stories I heard was true until it was announced over the PA and made "official." I was depressed all Thursday night until I just got too shitfaced to care anymore. Pagan's Mind completely kicked my ass though and made up for their absence to some degree.

Bryant

Christ O is a phenomenal album.

And thank you for reminding me that THEY DIDN'T GET TO PROG POWER LAST YEAR!!! I could strangle those customs fools at my airport...

First off..... my apologies for not multi-quoting to start with. I typically go down the list and reply to a one or two, but hell.... I wanted to reply to all after I read them...

One of my favorite bands and right now the only band that has eluded my attendance of a live gig...thought that would have been resolved last year but I will keep my fingers crossed for PPX!!!
A far as CHRIST O goes, as much as I love their back catalog, I would have been content with them doing the entire album from start to finish...that's how much I like it!

I think Christ 0 is a little better than Beyond Daylight which is a little better than Far Off grace which is a little better than The God Thing. I love the consistency of VP. I don't know if my brain can take anything better than Christ 0 though. I would love to hear Scarlet Flower Fields (from BD) live though. VP says they have never played it live.

Shadow I Am was one of my favorite songs from that year NO QUESTION. The album is solid as a whole, but that song just really speaks to me and the melody lines are brilliant!

Great song. I think it was the one that hit me the second hardest right off the bat after "Silently."

Not to be a smartass, but this band does very little for me. Why? I have no clue. I think they're talented, but their music just doesn't keep my attention. I owned Christ O for quite some time, gave it countless spins, but I just didn't become a fan.

~Brian~

Nothing wrong with that (you stupid freaking loser !!!:puke::lol:)

No......... just joking of course. If we all had the same exact tastes then there would only be need for one band and the world would be one boring ass place.

Christ 0 is a huge release for VP...became my fav right after I heard it.

Get out much?

In many places that release is just scary good. Where do they come up with some of that shit ? While I think one of the slower songs could be replaced with more of a rocker.... that is about all of the criticism I can muster up about it. They made a Frankenstein.

I used to be nuts about these guys, but they kinda fell off for me and I shelved everything I had on them for a good long while. I picked up Christ 0 on the super-cheap when Tower Records went under, and was shocked by how much I enjoyed, all the Jesus cereal comments I made notwithstanding. They're not a top-spot band for me these days, but I like 'em enough to hold on to all I have, and would definitely like to see 'em live eventually. Was somewhat bummed they didn't make it for the pre-party last year, but hopefully they'll get back here someday.

Well Krudemeister, you just haven't hung around me enough lately. I'll burn them back into your brain with my mindless VP rhetoric. Actually I am joking about that, but give them a spin and try them out again.

Funny timing. I was actually listening to it this weekend after a long hiatus. Great album. I would really like to seem them live at some point.

No it isn't funny timing. I was using a Jedi mind trick on you. I would use it on everyone, but I am too busy with trying to make supermodels think I am the world's greatest hunk on this planet. My skills are great and vast, but when you look like I do..... well then it takes complete concentration for hours a day... to make it work

Damn, it's been a while since I listened...I'll spin this again soon. I never really got into VP outside of this last album, but Christ.0 is a definite masterpiece of prog metal :worship:

I personally think they wrote a new chapter. They haven't done anything "new" per se as far as the prog side of prog-metal, but they have added a melodic element not used much and the vocal harmonies are the best I can recall having ever heard.

Bryant