Roy Khan's condition?

If issue is neurological like MS (Multiple sclerosis), diagnosis takes time. Not everyone that is suspected with it end up being diagnosed. That why we have to wait. Although most cases of MS is manageable these days, heavy touring schedule might not be advisable. Recently, singer of Mezarkabul left the band after being diagnosed with MS, saying he did not want to limit the band in terms of touring etc.

Let's hope for the best

And do take into account that "neurological" can run the gamut from a tingle in your pinky toe to MS or Parkinsons. Lets hope its just a case of the pinky toe.

I just want to understand it a bit better. I wanna know if promoters can be blamed at all for the tour cancellation in this particular case.

They cannot. In fact, Kamelot's pre-sales were very strong and it would have been a profitable tour regardless of the handful of refunds that were given based on Roy pulling out. There were very minimal refunds issued after the announcement as well.

In regards to a band like Kamelot, SX, Nevermore, etc...

Everything honestly depends on the contract that was signed. The band and club has the option to cancel based on specific things (nature, band member changes, etc) without penalty. That would have applied here and the show would have depended on how many refunds were given. Otherwise, there is a reason they call it a guarantee. The band gets paid regardless of how many tickets are sold. The kicker is that there are other "opt out" type clauses where the promoter could agree to pay the band a certain amount by a certain date in order not to lose money and give the band time to re-route, reschedule, etc. Those are rare. It's up to the promoter to actually promote once that contract is signed.

The promoter does not want to cancel a show or fail to send payment because
a. The band will not return
b. The band's booking agent will not do further business with them.
c. The band will tell other bands and they will avoid the club in return.

Now does that happen 100% of the time? Hell no. There are some shady ass promoters with huge egos out there. They will pull the plug on the show if a band doesn't agree to a drop in the payout if sales are slow. They have the power because they don't care if the band returns. This happens quite a bit to lower profile bands in a few high profile clubs here in the States.

They cannot. In fact, Kamelot's pre-sales were very strong and it would have been a profitable tour regardless of the handful of refunds that were given based on Roy pulling out. There were very minimal refunds issued after the announcement as well.

In regards to a band like Kamelot, SX, Nevermore, etc...

Everything honestly depends on the contract that was signed. The band and club has the option to cancel based on specific things (nature, band member changes, etc) without penalty. That would have applied here and the show would have depended on how many refunds were given. Otherwise, there is a reason they call it a guarantee. The band gets paid regardless of how many tickets are sold. The kicker is that there are other "opt out" type clauses where the promoter could agree to pay the band a certain amount by a certain date in order not to lose money and give the band time to re-route, reschedule, etc. Those are rare. It's up to the promoter to actually promote once that contract is signed.

The promoter does not want to cancel a show or fail to send payment because
a. The band will not return
b. The band's booking agent will not do further business with them.
c. The band will tell other bands and they will avoid the club in return.

Now does that happen 100% of the time? Hell no. There are some shady ass promoters with huge egos out there. They will pull the plug on the show if a band doesn't agree to a drop in the payout if sales are slow. They have the power because they don't care if the band returns. This happens quite a bit to lower profile bands in a few high profile clubs here in the States.

Thanks for the clarification. It's good to know a little bit about how something like that actually works.

I have a question regarding this whole thing. Perhaps Glenn, Nathan or other guys involved in promoting a show and/or managing a band can answer this:

Taking the Kamelot tour case as an example, lets say the promoter of the show in Bumblefuck, AZ sees that pre sales haven't been that strong, but he knows there's a chance that people will show up at the door - could he say "I decided not to have the show anymore because I don't think people will come up to see Kamelot without Roy" ?

Considering it was at a bar that can't draw shit for Redemption, and only around 60 people for Primal Fear, and the show would've been on Tuesday, your choice of Arizona is kind of haunting.

Considering it was at a bar that can't draw shit for Redemption, and only around 60 people for Primal Fear, and the show would've been on Tuesday, your choice of Arizona is kind of haunting.

Not to hijack the thread but i didn't think Kamelot was supposed to come to AZ?

But... I don't care. I want to know what's going on with Khan, not what precisely happened with the tour.

Me too. I don't give a shit about the whole business side of things. I'll let management and promoters worry about that. As a fan, I just want Khan being well! I'm tired of my heroes being sick, having health problems, etc. There's been too much of this stuff lately.

~Brian~

This is an article in the local paper of the region where Khan comes from. The original article is in Norwegian, but since I'm Swedish I can translate it fairly accurately. I was considering not to since there are always asshats who believe that this kind of thing doesn't exist or isn't a real problem, but after all the speculation of neurological disorders and shit I kind of feel like I have to. So here it is:

Broke down right before the tour started
The vocalist of famous metal band Kamelot, Roy Sætre Khantatat from Elverum, is reported sick after a breakdown just before the start of the North American tour, and has decided to postpone the tour that would have started on wednesday.

"I am burned out, pure and simple. A breakdown a couple of weeks ago gave me a serious indication that something was wrong. Now I'm just glad and relieved that I got to the doctor," says an honest Roy Sætre Khantatat to Østlendingen [the paper].

Khan, as he's also known, says that he's been going completely "offline" lately.
"I haven't had the energy to check either my cell phone or my mail. It's been difficult to keep up with my own and other people's expectations of me," he explains.

Much uncertainty
There has been a lot back and forth lately regarding Kamelot's planned North American tour after the band's frontman and vocalist, Roy Sætre Khantatat, became ill.
First the plan was to continue the tour with the help of Circus Maximus vocalist Michael Eriksen.

Decided after rehearsing
But on Tuesday this week came reports that the band had changed their minds. This is what they wrote about their decision: [translate excerpt from Kamelot's press release to postpone the tour]

"No. Now, I haven't talked much about that either, except supporting myself on my family. This whole thing is feeling very real. I need this break."

Resting in Elverum
The future is something Khan hasn't thought very much about.
"Most things has really been about getting back on my feet again, but I want to get back to Kamelot," he says.
The metal singer says he wants to spend time around his hometown as part of the restoration process.
"I want to be around my family, my home region and the mountains," says Khan.

Great to hear he is not ill.
It is an interesting statement though. I would expect that type of statement after a long tour (both physical and emotional burn out), but they have not been touring for a while. Interesting that album making process caused this... Does he have a day job or is he making a living with music only ?

It is an interesting statement though. I would expect that type of statement after a long tour (both physical and emotional burn out), but they have not been touring for a while. Interesting that album making process caused this... Does he have a day job or is he making a living with music only ?

This sort of seems like a Portnoy-type situation. I'm not saying Khan is gonna quit or anything, but he may very well be burnt out from album/tour/album/tour cycle. It honestly wasn't that long ago they were touring the states, and they've already been touring for this album.

This is an article in the local paper of the region where Khan comes from. The original article is in Norwegian, but since I'm Swedish I can translate it fairly accurately. I was considering not to since there are always asshats who believe that this kind of thing doesn't exist or isn't a real problem, but after all the speculation of neurological disorders and shit I kind of feel like I have to. So here it is:
Thank you Martin. This comes as a bit of relief to hear that he doesn't have an incurable disease of some kind. But burn out like this is a very real condition that must be treated seriously. I experienced something similar back in the 90's and it can be totally debilitating. I'm glad he's taking this seriously and doing what he can to get strong and healthy. That is far more important than any tour.

Take your time, Roy, and get well.

I may be wrong, but didn't something similar happen with Sander Gommans (After Forever) a few years ago, just before AF decided to go on hiatus before they ended up splitting up? I think I remember something about him having a seizure on a plane, but then hearing that that was related to or caused by him being burnt out.

It is good to have some sort of update on Roy, though.

Someone mentioned the word Asshat!!!!!

Read again.... He is ill.

Someone mentioned the word Asshat!!!!!

Read again.... He is ill.

From his statement after seeing his doctor :

"I am burned out, pure and simple. A breakdown a couple of weeks ago gave me a serious indication that something was wrong. Now I'm just glad and relieved that I got to the doctor,"

You might call this illness, I don't. I am not saying it is nothing. I call "burn out", a "burn out". After neurological problem rumors it was a bit of relief, that is what I was meaning.

Definition
"Burnout is a state of emotional, mental, and physical exhaustion caused by excessive and prolonged stress."

I am not interested in debating how to label this definition. And I am also not interested in insulting you back just because you used insulting word.

Whether you call it an illness or not, burnout is real. As a fan, I hope that Roy can spend some time away from it, and come back to Kamelot as his usual self. I know from personal experience, that sometimes you come back, but it's never the same. Eventually you realize that the reasons for burnout haven't really changed, and you just have to go do something else.

Remember that there is more to Khan's life than music. There could have been something else going on that caused him to have a breakdown, if that's what's going on.