Russia threatens to ban Sabaton

And I thought it was only our politicians who where completely clueless! Holy crap! Sabaton is anything BUT a "Nazi Band". Having talked at length with the members of Sabaton, they have much respect and reverence for the veterans that have fought in that and any war henceforth and only want to show that in their music. No political agendas or anything of that sort. Needless to say, I am stoked to get to see them again at this upcoming ProgPower. Would be nice to send a letter or something to the Russian authorities to tell them just how clueless they are with regards to Sabaton.

I actually asked Pär about this in the first interview I did with him...

Greg: I wanted to ask you about “The Rise of Evil”. The first time I heard the song, with Joakim’s unique voice and that big booming chorus singing, “The Reich will rise” I thought to myself, “What are they saying”? I had to go back and read the lyrics. Have you guys ever mistakenly caught any flak from that song, because someone thought it was advocating for something it wasn’t?

Pär: Well, we had some people that thought that we were sympathizing with neo-Nazis. Which is kind of bullshit because, in my opinion, the world should be happy and people should not be evil... they should be on the good side. The evil guys are the bad guys and I would want to be one of the good guys. The Reich was evil; the rise of bad guys. I want to be on the good side. I am not supporting anything like that.

Greg: Of course. But by the same token, I know Germany has a particular sensitivity to what you can and can’t say. You guys write about history and events that affected Germany. Are there any songs that you’ve been told you can’t play, or caught any grief for in Germany?

Pär: Well, people said we should not play “Attero Dominatus” in Berlin because we say, “Berlin is burning.” But, on the other hand, the people in Berlin love the song. The people of Germany love the songs… and so we have never heard any such things as you are not allowed to play this song. In the beginning, the distributor for Germany, for our CDs, always asked for the lyrics to make sure that this was no propaganda or something. But we show him the lyrics and then it’s like, “Cool... let’s make it happen”.

It's the same idiocy prevailing here that makes YouTube have a "warning" flag before all of their videos come up -- nobody bothers to read the lyrics anymore.

I remember being like "whaaaat" when I heard some of their music for the first time, but it went away after I actually PAID ATTENTION TO WHAT THEY WERE SAYING. I mean come on. COME ON.