Sabaton.....WTF?!!

dgn4369

Feb 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
read this when I woke up and started cruising the net and went on Blabbermouth......

SABATON Lineup Changes In The Works? - Mar. 26, 2012

Swedish-language newspaper Dalarnas Tidningar (DT) from SABATON's hometown of Falun published a report earlier today (Monday, March 26) claiming that the band's current incarnation will go its separate ways, with vocalist Joakim Brodén and bassist Pär Sundström planning to continue the group with new musicians.

According to Dalarnas Tidningar, it is not presently clear what caused SABATON's most recent lineup to implode, and Brodén, who is also the band's main songwriter, was tight-lipped about possible personnel changes when reached by the newspaper. "I will not comment on it," he said.

When pressed further to confirm or deny the rumors, Brodén said, "I can't say anything as long as the tape recorder is on. But what I can say is that it's sad that such rumors are being spread."

SABATON's new album, "Carolus Rex", will be released in Europe on May 25 via Nuclear Blast Records. The lyrics for the CD, which will be made available in both English and Swedish, deal with the Swedish Empire (referring to the Kingdom of Sweden between 1561 and 1721).

The band previously stated about "Carolus Rex": "For the first time ever we have had an expert to help us out with the theme, the well-known Swedish historian Bengt Liljegren. We have also added some extra time in the studio to find the absolute right sound on 'Carolus Rex', and our producer, Peter Tägtgren, says that this album will mark a brand new standard for how a heavy metal album should sound like!"

Liljegren's previously published works include acclaimed biographies of Adolf Hitler and Karl XII. He also appeared in the popular Swedish TV series "Boston Tea Party".

SABATON will embark on a North American headlining tour next month. The "Swedish Empire Tour 2012" will kick off on April 10 in Tampa, Florida.

How a band such as Sabaton who has so much fun onstage can blow up like this is beyond me. :cry:

So....what is going to happen when they do go on that North American tour. Are we supposed to just show up and see who pops out on stage!!!! This is horrible!!!

Wow - that's a shocker. Hard to believe they would complete an album and THEN split up.

I'm not telling my son this until there is more detailed and confirmed news. Given how professional they have been (to my knowledge) in the past, and how good they are live, this smacks of overblown rumor... but what do I know?

I'm not telling my son this until there is more detailed and confirmed news.

Dude, it's not like they died. :lol: If they change members, they change members. Joakim and Par (main songwriters) would allegedly continue together, so the music wouldn't really change. It could be worse.

To me, if a band loses its singer and main songwrites, then it's a reason to worry. Apparently this doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm curiously awaiting some news...

Dude, it's not like they died. :lol: If they change members, they change members. Joakim and Par (main songwriters) would allegedly continue together, so the music wouldn't really change. It could be worse.

To me, if a band loses its singer and main songwrites, then it's a reason to worry. Apparently this doesn't seem to be the case.

That's my take on it as well. As long as Joakim is on stage, it's still Sabaton.

Are we supposed to just show up and see who pops out on stage!!!! This is horrible!!!
I would imagine they'll make an announcement before the tour starts...the way Joakim responded, it sounds like 1) it's true and 2) he wasn't taken by surprise in the least. I would venture to guess that Joakim and Par already have a new lineup in place and that the only way the US tour would realistically be derailed is some sort of a legal issue with the other (soon to be ex-)members.

the new guys really only need to learn one song because they just play it over and over anyways.....zing. I kid...I kid.

I am sure the constant touring and stuff has taken a toll on all the members. Who knows what else has been going on. I am sure there are ego's and control stuff going on as well. Everyone will have thier own take on it.

I think it is just shocking since there are so many people leaving at once. If it was a guy here and guy there no one would say a thing about it. Look at White Wizzard....they loose a person each day it seems.

I dunno, it could be glorious. For example, Mercenary's basically a different group of musicians between Everblack and Metamorphisis. And it's still fantastic. Kral and Mikkel went on to form Firesoul.

However, I don't believe these rumors.

I dunno, it could be glorious. For example, Mercenary's basically a different group of musicians between Everblack and Metamorphisis. And it's still fantastic. Kral and Mikkel went on to form Firesoul.

That's a good point. Angra/Shaman split was also beneficial for the fans. Great music came out of that!

WHAT? How did I miss THAT?

Wasn't Mircea from Mnemic originally in Mercenary?

Anyways - I don't get why people are getting their proverbial underwears in a twist over this. I feel like this board gets way more worked up than it should be at how much of a tragedy it is when a bass player quits the band because he wants to go back to school or start a family or join another band. I mean, they're human beings guys! They may have other priorities in life, and may have no involvement whatsoever in the songwriting process, so what's the big deal? Unless you have an active personal relationship with these people (IE you don't go up to them and say GREAT SHOW BRO once every leap year), why is it so "horrible?"

It's not their obligation to entertain YOU, so honestly when I read things like "OMG IM NOT EVEN GONNA TELL MY SON THIS BECAUSE HES JUST GONNA CRY BECAUSE X's 5TH KEYS PLAYER IS OUT" I just have to shake my head. These bands are NOT Van Halen or Kiss. Even as big as Sabaton is (in Europe), they're most certainly not rich. Van Halen and KISS HAVE an obligation to entertain you, because they are "professional" entertainers those acts' fortunes are solely there because of your entertainment after all. Sabaton plays metal because they love playing metal. It pays the bills for them (after lots of backbreaking work) and maybe even then some, but so does a job at a restaurant or an IT job something that doesn't require to leave their families for 200 days a year. Don't act like you're so entitled to be entertained guys.

This is sad. :( I'm gonna miss seeing Daniel and the others. We used to hang after shows and all the guys were so nice.

Something I noticed about the Sabaton members when they are playing live is that Joakim and Par are the two members who look the happiest on stage. The two guitarist hardly ever smile, they are a bit more serious like it's a job especially the taller one with the long beard. The drummer I don't know about but the keysman always looks quite happy though maybe Joakim controls the song writing and he wants to contribute musically but is rebuffed. Therefore if this news is true, then it's not THAT surprising and I doubt it will make any difference to the sound. Don't forget the guy from Dragonforce already stood in for one of the guitarists when life got in the way on the euro tour awhile back so him leaving completely wouldn't be a shock really.