Sabaton.....WTF?!!

Let's be blunt, there's nothing exceptional or unique about the guitar play in Sabaton, with regard to style, tone or skill level. I'm pretty sure they could have swapped out the guitar players prior to the recording of the new disc, told no one, and few would have noticed. In my mind, this can only be a positive for the band; bringing new blood and new energy into the band.

Good discussion so far. The fact about heavy metal bands is few have consistent lineups. Even some of our most beloved bands have had NUMEROUS lineup changes over the years (Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Iced Earth, etc. etc. the list is endless even on the big bands). It's fucking HARD to be in a metal band and have a personal life; it's fucking harder to do this shit for a living (I couldn't, I know I couldn't). The ones that remain the most passionate are in it for the long haul, and the ones who can't do it, don't want to do it, or find a passion outside of metal leave their bands. Sometimes egos get in the way, but other times the rigorous stress of playing a style of music you and only a fraction of a percent of people worldwide love gets to you.

Sabaton should be no exception to this rule. I'd only be upset if the news was: "Sabaton loses key members, calls it quits."

Maybe not the guitars, but their keys are definitely stylin'. Daniel had a lot of personality and it will be sad to see him go!

>implying it's not your M.O. either ;)

Nah, not really.
I have grown out of some styles, but can't think of a band I have wholeheartedly dismissed based on their popularity.

I am just ribbing Bob.
I am sure lots of the bands he no longer cares for has to do with more factors than just a growing fanbase.

Coat of Arms, maybe, but The Art of War dull and uninspired? Ummmm, ok. I respectfully disagree with your assessment, but, to each their own.

I was a bit disappointed with Coat Of Arms at first, as it wasn't as dynamic as The Art Of War (which may still be their crowning achievement). However, over a few listens, I had to change my mind... Coat Of Arms actually contains some extremely catchy and powerful stuff.

Dude, it's not like they died. :lol: If they change members, they change members. Joakim and Par (main songwriters) would allegedly continue together, so the music wouldn't really change. It could be worse.

To me, if a band loses its singer and main songwrites, then it's a reason to worry. Apparently this doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm curiously awaiting some news...

Try explaining that to an 8 year old who had his picture taken with all of them (except Par who was hurt and back in Sweden)...

However, over a few listens, I had to change my mind... Coat Of Arms actually contains some extremely catchy and powerful stuff.

Agreed. I was initially disappointed... but "Screaming Eagles", "White Death", and the title track drew me in, then I grew to like the others as I listened more.

Sabaton's music is always an excuse to have an impromptu discussion with my son about history - so I can't wait for the new album... finally I can stop discussing totalitarian governmental control and rampant early 20th century imperialism coupled with the xenophobia of scapegoating...

Try explaining that to an 8 year old who had his picture taken with all of them (except Par who was hurt and back in Sweden)...

Again, he'll be fine.

When I was 9 years old, I watched my hero (in sports, Formula 1 driver Ayrton Senna) die on live TV in an accident during the race. I had followed him in Formula 1 since I was literally 3 years old, and I had a hat autographed and given to me by him. Of course it was shattering, it was so sad... I cried and I didn't want to believe that it had happened. Not with him. I still remember the moment as if it was yesterday, including what the commentators said at that exact moment. My parents sat me down and explained that this is how life is, and that I needed to be strong. I was. I don't see how your son won't be in this case.

HOLY SHIT DIFFERENT OPINIONS WHICH ONE IS RIGHT?

:lol: I can't wait to use this against you later... :lol:

I'm the first person to say that Sabaton can be boring in studio. Their live show is outstanding, but I can't listen to an entire album of theirs through. That being said, Coat of Arms is in my opinion a mediocre album, while The Art of War had its glorious moments. But to each their own.

I still think Sabaton *destroys* live. Too bad I haven't had the chance to see them again since ProgPower. Always had something that needed to take priority over their shows, and this time it's no different...

I don't know, I don't think it's that hard telling him that things like this happen all the time? You're making mountains out of molehills dude.

Again, he'll be fine.

When I was 9 years old, I watched my hero (in sports, Formula 1 driver Ayrton Senna) die on live TV in an accident during the race.

Oh my God - worst May Day I can remember. I followed Senna all through grad school as my motorcycle buddies and I enjoyed F1 racng. That crash was right after I had introduced my then girlfriend, now wife to racing. Panoz changed the layout of Road Atlanta due to that crash.

I think this has been blown out of proportion - my son and I will continue to listen to Sabaton, and he'll forget about the line-up change as soon as the next football season starts. Honestly, to him, Joakim is probably synonymous with "Sabaton" anyway.

Oh my God - worst May Day I can remember. I followed Senna all through grad school as my motorcycle buddies and I enjoyed F1 racng. That crash was right after I had introduced my then girlfriend, now wife to racing. Panoz changed the layout of Road Atlanta due to that crash.

No doubt. It's a day that still hits me hard.

Fizrider said:
I think this has been blown out of proportion - my son and I will continue to listen to Sabaton, and he'll forget about the line-up change as soon as the next football season starts. Honestly, to him, Joakim is probably synonymous with "Sabaton" anyway.

Absolutely. I didn't mean to imply anything negative about you or your son, and I'm glad you didn't take it that way. I hope he continues to enjoy them. Love seeing that you put him "on the right track" with music. :)