Showcase Tickets

While I agree that it is great to keep an open mind about ALL the bands on a festival, not everyone looks at going to shows this way. Aside from his complaining, which I agree is a bit unwarranted, I think it is unfair to bash him for wanting to come to the fest just to see one band. Sure, Prog Power has grown to the point where there is a true community feel, and people come no matter who is booked. This is completely awesome. At the same time, there are hundreds of thousands of metalheads worldwide who have not yet attented Prog Power, and may never do so, unless that ONE band they want to see is booked.

Glen has been VERY patient with this guy. I agree 100%. The bottom line is that you can't SERIOUSLY expect a refund when one band on a festival lineup cancels.

Anyhow, I just wanted to defend this guy a little bit, because it seems like many of you were applying the gang mentality of "how come you don't want to join the community" with him. While I do agree that it's awesome to keep an open mind, and check out all bands, he was coming from out of town to see one specific band. Certainly has the right to be upset, but I agree it has to end there.

Anyhow, I just wanted to defend this guy a little bit, because it seems like many of you were applying the gang mentality of "how come you don't want to join the community" with him. While I do agree that it's awesome to keep an open mind, and check out all bands, he was coming from out of town to see one specific band. Certainly has the right to be upset, but I agree it has to end there.

Well yeah, sure he has the right to be upset. I would be too if I were a big VP fan. But he must not go to metal shows at all, or festivals for that matter, since bands drop off tours ALL THE TIME. And it's not like it's a PP specific thing where you're buying admission to the festival and the roster is subject to change. That's how pretty much every music festival on the face of the earth, metal or not, is run. It sucks that the dude wasted his money, but he has a lot to learn about the music business.

I believe his complaint isn't simply about Vanden Plas dropping off the bill, but more that assurances were made that tickets wouldn't go on sale until the Vanden Plas visa issue was resolved.

Oh I agree 100%. I stated so before.
The point I was making is that people seem shocked that one band canceling would be a deterent for people.

I was just pointing out while there are a large number of forum regulars who come no matter what, there are TONS who would possibly only come to see a certain band.

That being said, of course if that ONE band cancels, esp in a festival line up, then indeed it is tough sh*t!!!!!! :)

That's how pretty much every music festival on the face of the earth, metal or not, is run. It sucks that the dude wasted his money, but he has a lot to learn about the music business.

It's not his responsibility to care about about the business end...just like l don't care about it. Hell...if l did...l would do my own fest. He doesn't feel a need to "be a part of the community"...understandable. He is a consumer...pure & simple. He bought a ticket based on a statement that for all intents & purposes was a promise. From my viewpoint & his too obviously...it's a customer service issue.

Magius said:
I believe his complaint isn't simply about Vanden Plas dropping off the bill, but more that assurances were made that tickets wouldn't go on sale until the Vanden Plas visa issue was resolved.

Right.

It's not his responsibility to care about about the business end...just like l don't care about it. Hell...if l did...l would do my own fest. He doesn't feel a need to "be a part of the community"...understandable. He is a consumer...pure & simple. He bought a ticket based on a statement that for all intents & purposes was a promise. From my viewpoint & his too obviously...it's a customer service issue.

Very true...but with any large purchase, you should be informed about the product you are purchasing. The information regarding Ticketmaster's policy on refunds is right there in their Terms and Conditions. It's not like it's information where he has to 'know somebody who knows somebody in the business' to be aware of. It's not so much a customer service issue as much as it is an issue of Ticketmaster treating ProgPower no different than it treats any other concert.

Hey, I'm eating a ticket to Progressive Nation at Merriweather Post because of the cancellations. I'm trying to sell it, but not much out there.

But, I'm not going to throw a fit because the situation is out of the hands of the people running the show.
Hey Jason,

You aren't going because PoS, Beardfish, or both? I, too, am very disappointed about PoS canceling because I really wanted to see them in a large place like Merriwhether. I am totally unfamiliar with the two replacements too. However, I am still going because I love DT and their new CD ROCKS! Plus, I am taking the whole family (5 tickets) and my kids are very excited about seeing DT too. My 13 y/o was also disappointed about PoS (believe it or not). I haven't told him about the Triton Power cruise yet, because he will drive me nuts once he finds out about Evergrey! He LOVES Evergrey!

If you end up going, perhaps I will see you there.

Wasn't there a post once the tickets got released for sale that it still wasn't resolved but they couldn't afford to wait any longer?

That's a big red flag that screams "Buyer Beware" to me. If it doesn't to you, you're an idiot. Complaining about it later even moreso.

Very true...but with any large purchase, you should be informed about the product you are purchasing. The information regarding Ticketmaster's policy on refunds is right there in their Terms and Conditions. It's not like it's information where he has to 'know somebody who knows somebody in the business' to be aware of. It's not so much a customer service issue as much as it is an issue of Ticketmaster treating ProgPower no different than it treats any other concert.

You're still missing his point. Ticketmaster's policy isn't the issue.
Personally, I think the customer service of anything associated with PPUSA has been exemplary over the years. Especially in comparison with the concert industry as a whole. I think Glenn's tolerance of this particular issue speaks volumes to that point.

Unfortunately, it remains a truism of customer service that happy people remain largely silent, and disgruntled people tell everyone. Nevertheless, one does not need to be happy, accepted, or even liked to have a valid point.

Wasn't there a post once the tickets got released for sale that it still wasn't resolved but they couldn't afford to wait any longer?

That's a big red flag that screams "Buyer Beware" to me. If it doesn't to you, you're an idiot. Complaining about it later even moreso.

Link please?

I think Glenn's tolerance of this particular issue speaks volumes to that point.

The original complaint is valid. That is why I have left it for all to see. That is also why I did my best to explain the situation. Whether he likes it, understands it, or even cares is up to him. All I ask is that he refrain from negativity in the future. His point has been made.

In regards to Ascension and his customer service complaint, I don't lose sleep over him any longer. I use to grit my teeth at his criticism, but I at least cared enough to see what I could to do in order to prevent it in the future. However, his continuous pot shots and complaints about me and the festival have turned him into a caricature of negativity.

I honestly believe I could book Dream Theater for a four hour exclusive performance for 2010, cover his hotel and transport first class, provide a personal chef for his own menu, give him backstage access, and reserve a spot dead center in front of the stage barrier. He would still bitch about me not having a recliner there for him.

Link please?

You're right. I'm actually mistaken. I know why I thought that though. By the last time something was posted regarding VP and showcase tickets (Shane said something in reply to a question in April), the Visas still weren't approved but "very positive". I had taken a lack of a "confirmed" announcement as the "red flag" I mentioned.

The last time this happened there was the option to still go to the concert or to get a refund. This time that is not the case. The problem isn't that I can't read the tickets.

Thanks to some of you who at least try to see where I am coming from. Others were very disrespectful and I'll refrain from responding.

Originally I was flying to SC to meet a friend and then we were driving to Atlanta. That just doesn't make sense anymore. I've written off the money I spent on the plane tickets. I was hoping to at least get a refund for the concert tickets.

Here's ticketmaster's stance on the issue if anyone cares:

"Thank you for contacting us regarding Progpower Showcase 2009, at Center Stage Theatre. At this time, we have not received official word from the promoter that the event has been canceled. When we receive confirmation that the event has been cancelled, and that refunds will be issued, we will post the information immediately on our website. We are currently working with the promoter to obtain this information. Please keep visiting our website for new updates. We regret any inconvenience this delay causes."

The last time this happened there was the option to still go to the concert or to get a refund. This time that is not the case. The problem isn't that I can't read the tickets.

Thanks to some of you who at least try to see where I am coming from. Others were very disrespectful and I'll refrain from responding.

Originally I was flying to SC to meet a friend and then we were driving to Atlanta. That just doesn't make sense anymore. I've written off the money I spent on the plane tickets. I was hoping to at least get a refund for the concert tickets.

"Thank you for contacting us regarding Progpower Showcase 2009, at Center Stage Theatre. At this time, we have not received official word from the promoter that the event has been canceled. When we receive confirmation that the event has been cancelled, and that refunds will be issued, we will post the information immediately on our website. We are currently working with the promoter to obtain this information. Please keep visiting our website for new updates. We regret any inconvenience this delay causes."

Time to let it die mate.....

The issue and thread is starting to suck.

In regards to Ascension and his customer service complaint, I don't lose sleep over him any longer. I use to grit my teeth at his criticism, but I at least cared enough to see what I could to do in order to prevent it in the future. However, his continuous pot shots and complaints about me and the festival have turned him into a caricature of negativity.

No complaints in this thread on my part...nor any negativity. You read into it way to much. l simply pointed out the situation for what it was. The ophiles were offbase with the issue. Others even pointed it out. Hey, l've owned businesses myself...l know it sucks to have to eat it with a customer...l've mentioned this before.

I honestly believe I could book Dream Theater for a four hour exclusive performance for 2010, cover his hotel and transport first class, provide a personal chef for his own menu, give him backstage access, and reserve a spot dead center in front of the stage barrier. He would still bitch about me not having a recliner there for him.

Make it a domed encapsulated recliner with climate control & full topless lady service...and l'm good. :heh:

Problem is, for you, the event has not been cancelled.

That said, understand your situation, but there's nothing you can do other than just write it off and let it go. Sucks that you won't be coming here to join in on the fun, but as others have said, your choice and that doesn't change things for the rest of us. Cheers!

:lol: LMAO!!! That has to be one of the funniest posts I've read in a while! BTW, if you plan on doing that Glenn, I'd be very happy with that package - no recliner necessary! ;-)

Hey Jason,

You aren't going because PoS, Beardfish, or both? I, too, am very disappointed about PoS canceling because I really wanted to see them in a large place like Merriwhether. I am totally unfamiliar with the two replacements too. However, I am still going because I love DT and their new CD ROCKS! Plus, I am taking the whole family (5 tickets) and my kids are very excited about seeing DT too. My 13 y/o was also disappointed about PoS (believe it or not). I haven't told him about the Triton Power cruise yet, because he will drive me nuts once he finds out about Evergrey! He LOVES Evergrey!

If you end up going, perhaps I will see you there.

I am not going because of PoS and Beardfish, but also because it runs into my vacation. It might have been worth delaying my vacation for those guys, but now it isn't. It also was probably an argument that I wasn't going to win with my wife anyways. o_O

"Sounds to me like you didn't actually refrain. I'd say this comment expresses how you feel about the refund policy quite clearly"

He stated a fact. refunds are not available and did not say how he felt. "apparently" is not a feeling. saying how he felt would be - "gee, i think this really stinks that i cannot get a refund for my ticket." pretty simple stuff. not trying to argue, but trying to help clarify. what stinks is how he isn't stoked to see PRIMAL FEAR or ENCHANT?!?! now, that is the true crime here.