Shredding Guitars..

Soldier777

Sep 4, 2011
Newfoundland, Canada
Seeing that we share a liking for Throcracy, are there other christian guitarists that you like that shre? Here are some of mine:

Dennis Cameron - Angelica
Tony Palacois - Guardian
Michael Cutting, Jamie Cramer, Scott Solderstrom - Holy Soldier
Chris Impellitteri - Impellitteri
Rex Carroll - King James, Rex Carroll Band and Whitecross
Michael Sweet, Oz Fox - Stryper
Ken Tamplin - Shout, Magdallan, Ken Tamplin and Friends, solo
Jerry Johnson, Dee Harrington - Saint
Greg Bishop - X-Sinner
Joshua Perahia - Joshua

I've only heard of Impellitteri (except for Michael Sweet) and I love his music, even though he gets repetitive and maaaay occasionally plagiarize a song or two :D

This isn't much of a shred song...but the guitar work in this is INCREDIBLE.

And if you want a shredder, than go Syn Gates. He is good at shredding, but it sound like complete crap. just sayin!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, don't get me wrong, I love Avenged, but I can't STAND Syn's solo's! I guess the 'So far away' solo is okaaayyyyyy, and Welcome to the Family's solo is decent....

Herbie Langhans - Seventh Avenue
Paul Jackson, David Zaffiro - Bloodgood
Carl Johann Grimmark - Narnia, Rob Rock, Saviour Machine
Tommy Johansson - ReinXeed, Golden Resurrection
Slav Simanic - solo
Niclas Buss - Northern Flame

Ok time for me to step in. First of all I am shocked not to see Mr. Val Allen Wood on these lists! lol...here are my personal favs when it comes to shred guitar. Note: When I say "shred" I don't mean people vibrating their picks over the strings as fast as the can and playing chords underneath. I mean the use of lead guitar to convey feelings in the way vocals usually do. Obviously speed techniques and such are effective in this. To better understand, look up the people I list below on Youtube. These are in order of my most to least favorite.

1. John Petrucci (Dream Theater) Very successful in his career with DT, but also his solo album Suspended Animation is one of my favorite instrumental albums. Look up a supergroup called Liquid Tension Experiment as well, as he played guitar in that.
2. Steve Morse (Deep Purple) Deep Purple is the most well-known act he's been in but he has plenty of other bands as well. One that you all might enjoy would be the new supergroup with Mike Portnoy (former Dream Theater) and Neil Morse as well as others called Flying Colors.
3. Joe Satriani (Chickenfoot) Don't get me wrong, I really don't like the band Chickenfoot lol. Its Satch's solo albums that blow my mind every time. Some really incredible guitar work, especially on Surfing with the Alien, The Extremist, and Super Colossal to name a few.
4. Paul Gilbert (Mr. Big) This is a guy for those of you who just want crazy fast solos and stuff like that. He does know his theory and plays some pretty melodic stuff as well, but he's known for stunts like playing with Drills and teeth. Guitarists, look up the lessons he's written for Premier Guitar magazine.
5. Michael Romeo (Symphony X) In the neo-classical style of Yngwie Malmsteen, this guy can play fast. But on top of that, he plays some pretty emotional stuff on both lead guitar and acoustic stuff. Listen to Symophony X's "The Odyssey" to get a picture of what I'm talking about.
6. Michael Angelo Batio-This guy mostly does solo project stuff, which is all mind-blowingly metal. I believe he was voted the world's fastest guitarist by Guitar World magazine as well. Not a ton of feeling in his playing but its alright.
7. Yngwie Malmsteen (Rising Force) We all know this guy. Crazy-haired Swede with jewlery hanging off his wrists and neck and chops to cut through an elephant. I can't really get into his music because it all sounds the same, but his speed and neo-classical licks are definitely something to be admired.

Anyway, that's my list. A lot of the people you guys mentioned are pretty legit as well (Carl Grimmark!!!!!). Oh, I also can't leave this conversation without mentioning that I think Syn Gates is annoying as heck. Other than Afterlife, So Far Away, and Nighmare, all of his solos sound like random noise to me. He's got some cool technique but that's it lol.

Christian? That would be Mark Tremonti of Alter Bridge, here's a song off his solo album where he also does vocals:

Other than him, my favorites would have to be Kiko Loureiro and Rafael Bittencourt from Angra (not a Christian band, but hey.. the 2nd one is a Christian).

This is an Angra song, they complement each other perfectly in every aspect in Angra, but they both have solo albums on the side.

In response to guitr4God, I mentioned christian guitarists. If you want to mention nonchristian guitarists that's fine because there are many that shre dlike John Ptrucci, Ybgwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert, etc.

If you are shocked where you said, "First of all I am shocked not to see Mr. Val Allen Wood". Note that I said, "Seeing that we share a liking for Throcracy, are there other christian guitarists that you like that shred?". Basically I am saying that Val Allen do shred and it is a given that we like his guitar playing on As the World Bleeds. My intention was to get a feel as to what other talented christian guitarists that some of you liked.

Well mine would probably have to be Sami Asp from Finland :p Plays in the band Mikko Goes to Heaven and sang in Wingdom when it was still active. He has also had a few solo projects :)

The guy singing in Wingdom is a guitarist?? Link me!
That sounds great, I loved that band ever since I heard it on a christian stream radio some 5-6 years back.

The guy singing in Wingdom is a guitarist?? Link me!
That sounds great, I loved that band ever since I heard it on a christian stream radio some 5-6 years back.

Here's one of his solo projects. In my opinion the songs are a bit boring but his guitar work is amazing.

You should also listen to some songs by Mikko Goes to Heaven. The band is actually everything but metal (etno or something) but Sami has done a few awesome things for MGtH. It's almost impossible to find their music from the web but their newest album can be listened to in Spotify. I recommend especially the song "Outo tie". The good part begins in 2:20 but the whole song is quite decent and has pretty cool flute and cello :)cool:) melodies.

Overall, he is propably the best gospel guitarist in Finland (and also one of the best singers) :headbang:

It's not that great the first time around... I mean it IS good, but it didn't reel me in. I expected "shred"

I understand you. It was extremely difficult to find any of his songs and I'm sad that I didn't find any live videos where he plays. You know, he needs to be seen LIVE. At first I thought that he was an ok guitar player but when I saw Mikko Goes to Heaven live I got hooked. He is technically really good so he is able to play practically anything. He played a seven or eight minute long guitar solo during that gig and even though he isn't a "shredder" (actually he reminds me a lot of Adrian Smith) his solo was EPIC! :D

I'm not trying to say that he is the best guitarist in the world or something. But he is my favourite Christian guitarist along with Val and I actually feel a bit proud that we have a guitarist of that caliber in Finland! :headbang:

If you like shredding guitars, you'll probably like the end of this song (beginning at 07:15) by the christian artist Rob Rock:

Yes, I know the guitarists contributing to that song are mainly not christians (at least Grimmark is), but still...I had to post this one :)

Hour of Dawn by Rob Rock is an awesome tune. I have his 5 solo CDs -4 studio and 1 live. Rob Rock has an amazing career and he surrounds himself with amazing guitarists. Here is a few that he collaborated with, sang vocals and wrote songs with over the years:

1986 - Tony Macalpine, Tommy Aldridge, Rob Rock, Ruby Sarzo - Known as M.A.R.S - Project Driver - giutarists Tony Maclpine
1987 - Impellitteri EP - Chris Impellitteri
1988 - Joshua - Intense Defense - Joshua Perahia
1989 - Angelica self titled debut - Dennis Cameron
1990, 2008 and 2011-present - Driver self titled 6 song EP that was released on cassette only and was never signed. The same 6 songs on the EP was released with more songs added in the album called Sons of Thunder (2008) and just released Countdown - Rob Rock's band with guitarist Roy Z
1992-2000, 1007-2009 - Impellitteri - Chris Impellitteri
2000-2009 - solo - Carl Johan Grimmarck, Rick Renstrom, Bob Rossi, Daniel Hall, Roy Z