Sinphonia: Anybody heard this band?

David N.

New Metal Member
Jun 7, 2003
Visit site
I almost bought a CD by this band at PP4, but I changed my mind at the last second. Anyway, I've heard they're in the vein of Nightwish, but with more of a rock approach. I was just wondering if anyone might actually own a CD by them and could give a more accurate description of what they sound like.

I have one CD (can't remember the title right now). They are so-so IMO. Only real similarity with Nightwish is the fact the singer is a woman, but voice is totally different and the music is not as bombasitc and a bit more progressive. Not bad, but nothing great either.

Creeps said:
me three.. check out Epica.. I picked up that one at PP4, it's good stuff, but it also has a male-growly voice occasionally, so be warned if you don't like that kinda thing.

Yeah, that Epica CD is really killer! I've had that one for a while now. Have you heard Seraphim from Taiwan? They're kind of like a cross between Edenbridge and Nightwish. Interesting band...

Speaking of female-fronted bands, does anybody else want to see Within Temptation at Progpower 5? I picked up their "Mother Earth Tour" DVD a few months ago and after watching that I want to see them even worse than before! Killer live band!

I can't really get into Within Temptation, although I haven't heard anything sice their debut.

Here's some female oriented acts I'd like to see at PP;

Amaran (incredible band), After Forever, Flowing Tears, Lullacry (probably be a wildcard, a lot of rock influence), Lana Lane, Epica, the Gathering (although I'm not too fond of their latest at the moment), Arch Enemy (wildcard for sure) and Dark Moor.

Creeps said:
I can't really get into Within Temptation, although I haven't heard anything sice their debut.

You should definitely check out "Mother Earth", their 2nd full length album. They dropped the male growls, although there are some clean male vocals here & there. "Mother Earth", in my opinion, is a huge improvement over their debut! It's one of the best "Goth" Metal albums EVER!!!

I love Within Temptation, if they are at PPV I will be there! Mother Earth is a great album.

I would like to see After Forever at PPV also.

I am sure that Glen is our only hope to ever see Within Temptation and After Forever in the US.

The new Gathering is awesome. I really hated it when I first heard it but after I gave it a few spins, it really grew on me. Now I listen to it all the time.

I know that they´re from Denmark and pretty cool. The singer, Monica, is actually performing on the upcoming Mercenary-cd!!!

Demonspell said:
Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by the new Gathering, it is a great album...and I think Amaran would make a good opening act for a future Progpower, their upcoming release is going to be a killer.
The new Gathering is amazing, one of my top albums so far. I also like Amaran as well it's a lot more "crunchier" but I like that approach. Within Temptation "Mother Earth" is pretty decent stuff as well. I picked up the Epica CD at Progpower and have been very impressed by it so far. The Lullacry CD for me so far has been hit or miss, it's not bad but it's not great...somewhat to "poppy" for my taste but I still give it a whirl from time to time...then again I am probably the only one that thinks the Evanescence album is one of the best things to come out in years. :) OK so shoot me but there is something about that album and Amy Lee's vocals that just makes me go WOW!

Another cool band I dig is called Tapping the Vein, not metal per say but has a lot of gothic overtones. Lacuna Coil is a given, I really dig them a lot, After Forever is good stuff too and from time to time I will play stuff like Sins of they Beloved, Therion (some cool female vocals as well), Rain Fell Within, Lana Lane and 3rd and the Mortal.

Also, I just got into this band called Brave, some good stuff as well. If I am not mistaken, Dark Moor is a Spanish band that I think recently lost their female singer to another band (something like Fairyland). Epic power metal with a female vocalist...I liked some of their stuff!

Cheers. Tony

I think Evanescence is ok. The girl has a good voice but overall I dont give the cd to many spins. Their whole deal with saying they never heard of Lacuna Coil to they dislike Lacuna Coil and now Lacuna Coil being listed in Metal Hammer as one of Amy Lee's favorite bands just gets on my nerves.

Lullacry's Be My God was an alright album. I haven't heard to much from the new one.

The Sins Of Thy Beloved are great, I love the violin.

Tapping The Vein, they are from my home town. I can't stand them. Nice people but they really bore me.

Brave is decent, I saw them open for Lacuna Coil with Daylight Dies and Tapping The Vein.

Rain Fell Within was good, too bad they broke up.

I liked Dark Moor but now they have some guy singing, I doubt I will like that.

Some other female fronted bands I like:
Theatre Of Tragedy.....we'll see how that turns out
Artrosis
Kidneytheives
Darkwell
Alas

? Mercenary with clean Male vox, growl Male vox, and clean Female vox? Threeway "harmonies"? Okay, I was looking forward to new Mercenary, anyway, but that is intriguing. Just ordered the "Everblack" cd after seeing them at PPIV. Female vox can be cool. Vocals by anyone are a questionable thing though. Sometimes one person loves it and then someone else thinks it blows.

97reb said:
? Mercenary with clean Male vox, growl Male vox, and clean Female vox? Threeway "harmonies"? Okay, I was looking forward to new Mercenary, anyway, but that is intriguing. Just ordered the "Everblack" cd after seeing them at PPIV. Female vox can be cool. Vocals by anyone are a questionable thing though. Sometimes one person loves it and then someone else thinks it blows.

There is´nt going to be three vocalists though. She only appears on one track.....well, maybe two...we have´nt decided yet.
And by the way, thanks to everyone for the great support and response at PPIV. You rock!!!!

Mike/Mercenary