SiriusXM metal?

Yippee38

Living the dream!
Oct 8, 2002
Somewhere at 33,000'
Visit site
Do any of you guys use SiriusXM satellite radio? Does it have any metal channels that are decent that make it worth paying for? Are there more than one metal station? If so, are there any that would appeal to a ypical PPUSA attendee?

Back when XM Radio was new, they had a channel called Boneyard that occasionally played prog and power metal. Post merger, that channel is now called Ozzy's Boneyard that now focuses on songs from Ozzy plus other hard classic rock songs.

The current Liquid Metal focuses on death and thrash. Once in a blue moon they may play something on there that a prog and power metal fan may like. For example, they're playing "Democide" from the new Iced Earth album.

Sometimes I listen to Octane, which focuses on modern hard rock. Once in a while they will play a band that I like. I've heard Volbeat on there quite a bit.

But I only listen to XM when I get the free 2 week trials, like they're offering right now! :) Not worth it to subscribe.

I had it for 6 months free with a new Ford. It's pretty lame. Better than terrestrial radio but not worth the money for me. College radio in my area plays some good metal and that's the only radio I bother with.

I would concur with everything said here. The few good songs that they play, they beat to death. Even the Hair Metal station, which could be fun, plays the same half dozen Bon Jovi and Poison songs all day.

Take whatever money you'd spend in satellite radio and get a $10/month full subscription to Spotify instead. So much more worth it.

Pandora kind of sucks, actually. Small library so you only really get the best known songs from a band. Almost guarantee if I go fire up my Nightwish station the first song will be I Wish I had an Angel.

a lot depends on what kinds of metal you like. if you mostly listen to ProgPower types of metal, you will be disappointed. But....if you like thrash, death, traditional metal, metalcore, melodic death then you will love it. we've had it for the last 6 months and are loving it....depends on how open you are. I haven't heard a lot of repeats either

I agree with Milt. If you have the ability to stream music from your phone via Bluetooth in your car, than Spotify is infinitely better AND cheaper than Sirius.

What Sirius plays is mostly American Metal bands, ala Lamb of God, Trivium, etc.

Why would anyone ever pick Pandora over Spotify? I'd love to hear your rationale.

I have none. Lots of people have told me they love Pandora, though, admittedly, they are not metalheads. The only thing I've every heard about Spotify is that bands make a ridiculously small amount from their music being on Spotify. That kinda prejudiced me against them. But really, I hadn't even considered them.

Besides, I can use Pandora directly from my receiver at home. Can't do so with Spotify. Though that's not a big deal. I am, for the sake of this discussion, talking about in a car. I don't have a car right now, but I'm trying to gather info now so I can ensure I get the features I need.

I have none. Lots of people have told me they love Pandora, though, admittedly, they are not metalheads. The only thing I've every heard about Spotify is that bands make a ridiculously small amount from their music being on Spotify. That kinda prejudiced me against them. But really, I hadn't even considered them.

Besides, I can use Pandora directly from my receiver at home. Can't do so with Spotify. Though that's not a big deal. I am, for the sake of this discussion, talking about in a car. I don't have a car right now, but I'm trying to gather info now so I can ensure I get the features I need.

I completely understand. Let me put it this way for you... Once you try Spotify out, I swear to you it will never go back. It's a fantastic service and a lot of bands actually support it.

Plus, Spotify seems more fair than illegal downloading. So there. Honestly, it *destroys* Pandora.

I would agree if music is your main reason, go with Spotify or Slacker. I have Sirius and I mostly listen to non-music on it. I don't think the heavier stations are as bad as others are saying. Here are the top songs from Liquid Metal's countdown this week.

12. Haunted – “Eye Of The Storm”
11. Breach Of Silence – “Night Rider”
10. Deicide – “In The Minds Of Evil”
09. Periphery – “Feed The Ground”
08. Battlecross – “Flesh & Bone”
07. Behemoth – “Blow Your Trumpets Gabriel”
06. Carcass – “Granulating Dark Satanic Mills”
05. Throwdown – “Avow”
04. Impending Doom – “Death Will Reign”
03. Suicide Silence/Phil Bozeman – “Unanswered” (Live)
02. Iced Earth – “Democide”
01. Skeletonwitch – “I Am Of Death (Hell Has Arrived)”

I know Dream Theater was recently on the countdown as well as Twelvefoot Ninja and Polkadot Cadavera, so they do have some variety. The have a hair metal station and a classic hard rock/metal that plays stuff like Maiden, Savatage, etc,