SOILWORK NA Headline Tour w JEFF LOOMIS, BLACKGUARD and more

When they toured with Darkane, they did a long trek like this. Surprised they'd do it again as most of Darkane and Soilwork got sick at some point during the tour.

Blackguard tours the world all the time. They play their music live to dozens of thousands of people every year. Their music style appeals to a broader demographics of metalheads than a lot of the awesome progressive and power metal bands from Europe that exactly 500 people know who they are in North America. Blackguard gets paid for every. single. show. they do - no buyons or "promotional" free tours (you'd be surprised how many bands do buyons especially). Their name is imprinted in most metalheads that attend shows in the country, and there's bound to be a bunch in that group of people who like them enough to buy their music.

Doesn't exactly sound like a "failure" of a band to me.

Also, let's remember Into Eternity did their first North American headlining tour ever in 2012. That's eight years after they began their tour-after-tour-after-tour stint. It doesn't happen over night, ya know? ;)

Blackguard tours the world all the time. They play their music live to dozens of thousands of people every year. Their music style appeals to a broader demographics of metalheads than a lot of the awesome progressive and power metal bands from Europe that exactly 500 people know who they are in North America. Blackguard gets paid for every. single. show. they do - no buyons or "promotional" free tours (you'd be surprised how many bands do buyons especially). Their name is imprinted in most metalheads that attend shows in the country, and there's bound to be a bunch in that group of people who like them enough to buy their music.

Doesn't exactly sound like a "failure" of a band to me.

Also, let's remember Into Eternity did their first North American headlining tour ever in 2012. That's eight years after they began their tour-after-tour-after-tour stint. It doesn't happen over night, ya know? ;)

I enjoy Blackguard. To me their musical style fits right into the power/folk sound and the vocals don't bother me one bit. That being said, if they had clean vocals, I think there would be a complete reversal on most of the opinions you see around here.

To be fair, Blackguard always puts on an excellent live show. Seeing them more than once isn't such a bad thing. Seen Soilwork, MAYBE the new album might be good enough to convince me to go see them, but not likely. They haven't done anything relevant in years, I'd be very surprised if they managed to pull another "Natural Born Chaos" out of the hat.

They haven't done anything relevant in years, I'd be very surprised if they managed to pull another "Natural Born Chaos" out of the hat.

I havent kept up with them since Figure Number Five.
That was a good pop melodic death metal album, if one could be described as such.

While I am not a fan, I will say that both times I saw them, SOILWORK were great live. I think last time I saw them was the Ozzfest where Maiden played.

Back on the Blackguard thing, to address Aeonic, I will certainly give you that no one cares what a few blowhards on the internet say, as long as the people who they do perform for like them. Now, how many people seriously though have NOT bothered to check them out because of their reputation as being the new INTO ETERNITY?

They haven't done anything relevant in years, I'd be very surprised if they managed to pull another "Natural Born Chaos" out of the hat.

I assuming that "relevant" is a subjective opinion based on your personal taste correct? "The Panic Broadcast" cracked the Top 100 chart here last time.

The real problem with Blackguard is not that they tour too much, it's that they're awful. Granted, all opinions are subjective. However, I've yet to meet a single person who cares about this band. I never see their discs in Top 10 lists, I never see good reviews, I've never heard anyone walk out of one of their shows and say, "They kicked ass!" Now granted, someone must like them. But I think the real problem people have with them, is that they constantly take up a tour slot that could have gone to a band that people might have actually enjoyed.

The real problem with Blackguard is not that they tour too much, it's that they're awful. Granted, all opinions are subjective. However, I've yet to meet a single person who cares about this band. I never see their discs in Top 10 lists, I never see good reviews, I've never heard anyone walk out of one of their shows and say, "They kicked ass!" Now granted, someone must like them. But I think the real problem people have with them, is that they constantly take up a tour slot that could have gone to a band that people might have actually enjoyed.

Are you portraying a satirical character (Colberting, if you will) or is this serious? "All opinions are subjective so my massive blanket statement with which I trollishly introduced my post holds no quantifiable evidence, but I'm going to follow up my own admission with more subjective unquantifiable half-truths based solely on supposition and anecdote and act like it's demonstrable fact."

I agree with this statement 100%. I will say that they are amazing at what they do....playing boring, generic metal inspiring many to leave the room or come late when they play.

Like Zod said....you never hear anyone bring them up in a discussion saying that they are a band they like or cant wait for their new album to come out or even make any "Best of" list at the end of the year.

I have nothing against road warriors. I have nothing against Blackguard and my opinion of their music is irrelevant here. However, my issue is that I just don't get the feeling they are on the verge of stepping up to the next level despite the work they are putting in. I had the opposite feeling with bands like In Flames & Bodom. I don't think Blackguard are any closer to a direct support slot now on any tour than a headliner slot despite the numerous tours. At some point, you have to step up or you start to become a punchline. They are following the same path that Into Eternity took at the moment.

On the flip side, look at Alestorm. They tour a hell of a lot and I can see them moving up to a headline slot in the future based on crowd reaction every time I have seen them.

I have nothing against road warriors. I have nothing against Blackguard and my opinion of their music is irrelevant here. However, my issue is that I just don't get the feeling they are on the verge of stepping up to the next level despite the work they are putting in. I had the opposite feeling with bands like In Flames & Bodom. I don't think Blackguard are any closer to a direct support slot now on any tour than a headliner slot despite the numerous tours. At some point, you have to step up or you start to become a punchline. They are following the same path that Into Eternity took at the moment.

On the flip side, look at Alestorm. They tour a hell of a lot and I can see them moving up to a headline slot in the future based on crowd reaction every time I have seen them.

But Alestorm know how to put on a fun live show. Where Blackguard just come out and play. I agree with what you are saying, with all the work that they have put in they have done nothing to bring themselves up to the next level. It goes with that saying....either you got it, or you dont. I think they are smart with touring and getting thier name out there but if all that hard work and nothing is really moving you up...there is something wrong. I have no problem with bands playing too much if they are good bands and have enough material to mix up the set list everytime but when you are just touring and doing the same thing night after night and tour to tour....it just gets redundant. I do wish more bands worked this hard getting thier name out there though.

Opening post tour dates updated. There have been a number of venue changes so you may want to review...

For example, KC venue changed from The Beaumont Club (decent size) to Riot Room (tiny)....should be interesting...

I think I'll be at the Hartford show. Looking forward to seeing them live again, it's been a while. I hope they play a nice mixed setlist, including some newer stuff (new album is awesome!). Hoping for The Flameout above all!

I'm sorry, well not really, but I can't blame a band for touring/working hard to get in front of people. Just like any small business owner wants to talk to and get him/herself in front of as many people possible. I think it's bullshit to put them down for doing what they're doing.

~Brian~