Sonata Arctica Recommendation?

Mustang

The Edge
Sep 15, 2006
Tremont, IL
www.eternity-x.com
Listen, This may come as a shock since I have stated before how much I want to see this band. But I don't currently own any Sonata Arctica , so can someone let me know what one of their albums would be the best to get first?

Thanks!

Most will probably recommend Silence or Ecliptica.

*I* Recommend Reckoning Night.

The best way to go, though, would be to go through the songs you've heard, and find out which album(s) your favorites are on, and just get that.

Hmmmm........that's tough since I like all their material. I suppose if I were to make a recommendation it would be "Silence". I think this one especially gives an excellent sampling of all their capable of from slower to faster and heavier. I love this album from beginning to end and hope you will too.

Tracks like "The End of This Chapter", "Black Sheep", "Last Drop Fallas", "Sing In Silence", "Tallulah", and "Wolf and Raven" stand out for me although, as I said, I like all the tracks on the album. :)

All Sonata Arctica albums are great, although the first three are better than the last one, Reckoning Night. I'd have to say, Silence, is probably my favorite though. I carry so much music though, I wind up making up CDRs of my favorite bands and listening to those instead.

If you'd like, and since you're a bud of mine, I could mail you a copy of said CDR with track listing and you could decide for yourself which songs you like.

The Michael

I'm copying my answer from the last thread that asked this. Hope it helps!

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/progpower-usa/275530-sonata-recommendations.html

I say Reckoning Night. The song White Pearl, Black Oceans from that album is simply the greatest power metal song ever, in my book.

After reading many threads like this, there seems to generally be two schools of thought on "which album to check out first":

1. Get Reckoning Night (their fourth album). This is where I stand. This is their newest album. I hear a lot of people suggest this one as the best. I suspect most of those people are in my boat: I got into the band with their last two albums (Winterheart's Guild was third).

2. Get either of the first two albums (Ecliptica or Silence). I find that generally, anyone who has been into the band since the beginning says that the first two are stellar and the last two, while good, are nowhere near as good. I disagree, but it's a very popular sentiment.

I'll always have a soft spot for Ecliptica, since I got into S.A. with that CD and never really looked back.
But, there are so many great songs that have come later, too, like the abovementioned "White Pearl, Black Oceans." Glenn should make it a required part of their setlist. :D

The beauty of Sonata is that their catalog is not too extensive. However, they really get the "most" out of every album they put out. To date, I cannot identify any SA songs I dislike. Therefore, I recommend just getting them all, as it's not really that many discs...yet.

Interestingly enough my first Sonata Arctica CD was Winterheart's Guild which I absolutely love ("The Cage" is still one of my favorites). Many people I've talked to, though, about this particular CD seem a bit bewildered by the lyrics moreso than on any other Sonata Arctica CD. I suppose I can see that point but, in my particular case, I look first to the music and then to the words so the lack of clarity in lyrics in general really doesn't bother me much. Most people I know tend place equal premium on music and lyrics so I didn't recommend this CD initially (rightly or wrongly) for that reason alone. As many of you have reiterated you really can't go wrong with any of Sonata Arctica's selections as each has a plentitude of good, solid songs.

The Reckoning Night CD was probably the slowest to grow on me (although that is relative) but with successive listens I began to appreciate more the direction the songwriting took (darker) and now truly enjoy this CD from beginning to end. I'm not sure why I didn't intially take to this one as quickly as I did with its predecessors but that sort of thing happens I guess from time to time. An early post mentioned the greatness of the song "White Pearl, Black Oceans" and I could not agree more. To me this song is the Sonata Arctica's crowning achievement so far and is actually one of my vary favorite songs in this entire genre.

I personally don't have a preference on albums. Every single one has a lot of quality songs for me.
I love Silence but when I listen to Sonata, I feel like I'm missing out if Abandonned, Pleased, Brainwashed, Exploited, The Cage, White Peal, Black Oceans, Wildfire, and a bunch more are off my playlist. I think Silence has the best overall tracklist from start to end but the majority of my top 10 songs are on the other CDs with Reckoning Night having the top 2.