Song Survivor - Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger round 1

Vote for the 3 weakest tracks on Transilvanian Hunger

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Phylactery

Feb 3, 2016
United Kingdom

Might seem like a strange choice, since this has a rather consistent approach to its songwriting and is clearly meant as an album experience. But let's give it a shot. There are songs I clearly prefer to others on here and it'll be interesting to see if the forum agrees. Besides, I bet nearly everyone here has heard this album. And if you have not, what are you waiting for?! It's a classic for a reason!

I'd like to get this done in 3 round, so please vote for the 3 weakest tracks. Poll closes in 5 days.

Difficult first round. I went with "Over fjell…", "I en hall..." and "As Flittermice...." and I might change this at some point. I feel bad voting out "As Flittermice..." so early as the intro is super cool and disorientating.

Skald, I En Hall, and Flittermice, per my autistic song rankings list. I don't remember any of them aside from the title track from memory but surprisingly I have them all rated as 3/5s or higher. Maybe I'll give another listen before the game ends but probably not.

Skald av Satans Sol is the other one potentially on the chopping block for me, but I fucking love the part starting at 2:06 so much that I couldn't do it. The homogeneity and repetitious songwriting of Transilvanian Hunger make transitions like that one have a massive impact.

Had to go with Slottet i det fjerne, Graven takeheimens saler and I en hall med flask og mjod. Nothing anything particularly wrong with any of those songs, just I prefer the remaining ones.

Skald av Satans Sol is the other one potentially on the chopping block for me, but I fucking love the part starting at 2:06 so much that I couldn't do it. The homogeneity and repetitious songwriting of Transilvanian Hunger make transitions like that one have a massive impact.
If by some miracle that song makes it to the final round, it might be my top pick. I think it's outright aggression makes it stick out the most. It's such a fascinating album in that the sounds is so abusive yet the minimalism and the repetitiveness sort of lull you into a sort of haze. An oddly relaxing album. Skald av Satans Sol is like getting a hard slap to the face after being put in a trance by the title track and Over fjell og gjennom torner.

I would like your post, but you voted for Slottet I det fjerne which is my favourite song on the album!

But yeah I agree with what you’re saying about Skald av satans sol. It definitely has more impact because of where it’s placed in the track list. Wouldn’t have nearly as much impact if it were the opener for the reasons you stated.

God the drumming on "Skald av Satans sol" just slays me, Fenriz was on a mission there. He knows how to play the role and be a cog in the machine, but with charisma! Kind of like Philthy Animal who knew how to show off without drawing attention away from the overall composition.

You mean Transilvanian Hunger has more than one drum beat? :tickled:

I think I might like “En Vind Av Sorg” just as much as my favourite tracks from this album. Anyone else feel similarly?

You mean Transilvanian Hunger has more than one drum beat? :tickled:

Believe it or not, yes! Fenriz's cymbal work really needles its way through Culto's thick dense wall of fuzz on that song in particular. I love it so much.

Anyways, I voted for "Over Fjell og Gjennom Torner," "Graven Tåkeheimens Saler" and "I en Hall med Flesk og Mjød."

Those of you voting for “Graven...” need to listen to the section starting at 2:18 on repeat until your change your mind. Fuck it’s just so beautiful.

This album has my second favourite Culto vocal performance after A Blaze in the Northern Sky. Just so haunting and passionate. But he’s probably the greatest black metal vocalist of all time if you ask me or at least an easy lock for top 5.

Really tough. Track 2 is obviously the weakest link (and even there, mostly because the song seems to start out of nowhere; the music itself is exquisite), but beyond that every song is a masterpiece. In general, I think the second side tends to resonate with me slightly less, so I went with tracks 6 and 8.

Really tough. Track 2 is obviously the weakest link (and even there, mostly because the song seems to start out of nowhere; the music itself is exquisite), but beyond that every song is a masterpiece. In general, I think the second side tends to resonate with me slightly less, so I went with tracks 6 and 8.

Really did not expect a vote for “En as I dype skogen” in the first round! Certainly controversial. A top 2 track for me.