Song Survivor - Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick final round

Vote for the strongest track

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Phylactery

Feb 3, 2016
United Kingdom
upload_2019-2-7_6-19-20.jpeg

Brainstorm, Day of Suffering and Thy Kingdom Come have been eliminated.

Vote for the strongest track from the remaining 3.

I’m voting for “Fall From Grace”.

From the tracks left, my order is:

Fall From Grace > Abominations > Rebel Lands

WpWo.gif

Reactions: CiG
I’d actually rather one of the truly shitty tracks win that, than the ultra generic death metal songs on that album. At least they are entertaining in how horrendous they are!

Is that why you stopped doing the poll threads TB, because you couldn't do MATHS!

i thought only the toothless brits used MATHS? Didnt know you drongos used it too.

Btw @Phylactery i was looking through the webS trying to see if its something only brits use or whatnot and came across this on quora. Would you say he's incorrect?

"Mathematics" is like "philosophy", "history", "science". It's an all-encapsulating name for a system, process or area of thought and study. It is a singular entity.

"Math" is an abbreviation for an abstract concept encapsulating the entire world of mathematics and all of its calculations and entities.

"Maths" is a pluralization describing more than one branch of mathematics as individual, singular entities; separate but within the same realm of mathematics.

If you're good at "math", then you are good at that area of thought and study in general.

If you're good at "maths" then you are good at multiple, individual, specific areas of study. If you're good at Trigonometry and Calculus then you can say you're good at those two "maths". It can be said, but much like many incorrect words and their respective usages; it’s odd. To me anyway. But I’m an ignorant American. :)

If I say I study "philosophies", you discern that I am studying multiple, specific modes of thought selected from the overall field of "philosophy". Studying “philosophy” and studying “philosophies” both have two different implications.

If I say I study "histories"; you discern that I am studying multiple, specific modes of thought selected from the overall field of "history". Studying “history” and studying “histories” both have two different implications.

The same is true for "math". Which is why it is rarely correct. You might say someone studies “religions”. And that’s great. They study multiple, individual, different religions. But when speaking of the overall concept in its entirety; it’s simply “religion”. Singular. Like Mathematics; abbreviated by “Math”.

You might say "But there are many different types of math".

There are many different types of Architecture, yet no one says "I study Architectures."; because the word is a singular description of the entity as a whole. (it just happens to not end in “s” which makes it less confusing.) It is defining the abstract concept en totale including all its aggregate and constituent parts. One studies different “types of Architecture.” or “styles of Architecture”. Much like studying different “types of Math” or “branches of Math.”

One might mention the abundant use of "Arts and Sciences".

When people speak of the "Arts and Sciences" they are speaking of the multiple individual branches and units. This gives a more personal feel to the description and ties it to individuals better. It unifies multiple fields as opposed to dumping a blanket definition over them all. You think of individual artists and scientists. Whereas "Art and Science" are more general, abstract and feel as if the user is not as invested in those areas.

When speaking of the overarching field of all Mathematics; it’s only recently become American posh to say “maths”. The word “mathematics” in American English has always been a singular name for the collective branches of mathematical knowledge. Much like “physics”, you would never say “mathematic” except as an adjective; and typically that would be “mathematical”. (much like “physical”; not “physic”) And since the word can’t exist without the “s”; that shows us that the “s” is not making it plural. It’s simply a letter at the end of the word.

A Mathematical formula. “Math” is also the abbreviation for this usage.

A Math formula.

A Math degree.

Math” being the abbreviation for “Mathematics”; the aforementioned singular noun.

A Mathematics degree. The abbreviation for which, is “Math”.

To say it’s plural simply because it has an “s” at the end of it is simply applying one arbitrary English rule and ignoring another. “Physics” is a singular noun that encapsulates the collective branches of the physical sciences. But no one ever studies “a physic”. It doesn’t function without the “s”; meaning the “s” is part of the actual word; not a signifier of the pluralization of a separate, singular word.

Many plural words end in s.

Horses
Cars
Pencils
Shirts
Emotions

Many don’t.

People
Oxen
Octopi
Feet
Children

Many singular words end in s.

Species
Acoustics
Diabetes
Mars
Mathematics

Many don’t.

Face
Leaflet
Tarpaulin
Mustard
Pontoon

When a singular noun that ends in “s” is used to encapsulate a grouping of multiple things, THAT’s where the confusion begins. I’ve written about this same concept here:

https://www.quora.com/Which-is-c...

https://www.quora.com/Should-fur...

https://www.quora.com/What-are-t...

In words such as grass, billiards or Mathematics, a modifier is typically used to define the units within the overall, singular group.

A breed of grass

A game of billiards

A branch of Mathematics

This should clarify to the reader that the dominant noun is singular, yet defines a plural grouping of other things. You can’t just drop the “s” off of a singular word haphazardly to imply that the “s” made it plural. And when you create an abbreviation that consists of the first few letters of that singular word, it shouldn’t include the “s” at the end as if adding that makes it plural. It doesn’t.

Saying “Maths” for “Mathematics” is like saying, “Cells” for “Cellular” or “Blvds” for “Boulevard”; just randomly adding an “s” to the abbreviation for no reason. Or like “Cellr” for “Cellular” or “Blvdd” for Boulevard; just adding the last letter to the end of the abbreviation for no reason. If we were to follow the conventions of abbreviations that actually DO take the first and last letter (like Mr. and Dr.) then the abbreviation for Mathematics should be Ms.; which is already a commonly used abbreviation meaning something entirely different. Darn.

Unless you’re referring to several, individual types of math (…wherein it would be more correct to just say “types of math” as opposed to “maths”) the abbreviation for “Mathematics” is “Math”. Pretty simple concept. Saying “Maths” is like saying “Mathematicses”. To me anyway. But I’m just an ignorant American. :)

https://www.quora.com/Which-is-correct-Math-or-Maths

Last edited:
Honestly, the Brits should have just left the convicts behind in dreary old England & moved their HQ to the sunny shores of Australia. They really botched that one in hindsight.

Reactions: CiG