SOULSPELL - A Metal Opera (Avanta-who?)

AngraRULES

Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
Has anyone around here checked out this ambitious metal opera written by Brazilian musician Heleno Vale? SOULSPELL was put together in 2008, written and recorded with an impressive cast of vocalists, including some of the most renowned Brazilian voices and a few international special guests. The second part just came out this year, and it's entitled The Labyrinth of Truths.

The music? Power Metal fans who complained about Avantasia's new direction, and wanna hear some kick-ass, rich compositions without sounding cheesy NEED to hear this.

Here's part of the cast:

Jon Oliva (Savatage/JOP)
Blaze Bayley (ex-Iron Maiden)
Zak Stevens (Savatage/CIIC)
Tim Owens (ex-Judas Priest)
Renato Tribuzy (Tribuzy)
Rafael Gubert (ex-Akashic)
Alex Voorhees (Imago Mortiis)
Edu Falaschi (Angra)
Tito Falaschi (Symbols)
Carlos Zema (ex-Outworld/Vougan)
Bruno Maia (Tuatha de Danaan)
German Pascual (Narnia)
Iuri Sanson (Hibria)
Mario Linhares (ex-Dark Avenger)
Leandro Cacoilo (ex-Eterna)
Mario Pastore (Pastore)
Nando Fernandes (ex-Hangar)

Oh yeah, Roland Grapow (ex-Helloween) is on it too.

Power metal fans, enjoy!!

Troy:

Into The Arc of Time (Ft. Zak Stevens & Jon Oliva):

Dark Prince's Dawn:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs-gEkGGxa0&feature=related[/ame]

This is friggin epic!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
love it. Although, I have to admit anything with Jon's involvement has my interest and makes me an insta-fan.

I just got this as a blind purchase from Nightmare Records. I've never heard the first album.

It's still growing on me, but I can emphatically state that Carlos Zema's vocals on The Verve are making me pee my pants.

Carlos Zema, OMG!!!!!

I think Carlos is also on this one.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYa2EjMPLNE&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm ready to give this album my unqualified recommendation. This really hooked me after about 5 listens and now I've listened to it everyday for the last two weeks. All of the vocal performances are extremely strong, especially Mario Pastore, the main character. Interestingly, even if you removed all the vocals (and vocals are my favorite "instrument"), I think this would still be awesome. The music is that strong and compelling. I can honestly say I love every song on here (though still The Verve - and Carlos Zema's part - the best; I listen to that song 3-5 times every time I spin the disc). A couple notes:

- I don't know what that noise is at the end of Adrift, but I always think it's the Tardis materializing

- The Verve: check out the riff from 2:22-2:54: I swear that's from Dream Theater SFAM, but I can't find it on that album. But every time I hear it, my brain thinks something bad is about to happen to Victoria.

- A Secret Compartment: incredible song - I especially like the Helloween "Dark Ride"-type vocals (Jefferson Albert)

I should add, I still have yet to read the lyrics, so I can't say how compelling the story is. But the vocalists and songs themselves are killer!

Now I guess it's time for me to order the first album...