Stainless steel frets or neck binding?

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
The thread title says it all - I'm spec'ing out my dream Warmoth, which I'm planning on getting later this summer, and caught in a crisis, because although they do offer (durable, smooth) stainless steel frets, they can't do binding on a neck that has them because of how hard they are to cut/shape/something.

So basically, I REALLY want the classy look of binding, but I'm wondering approximately how long you guys think standard frets last before needing to be worked on/replaced, and how much you think it'd cost. I've been playing guitar for 8 years as of this summer, but of my two current axes, my RG is 4 1/2 years old, and my LTD is 3 years old (both bought new), and I don't think either needs work on the frets. Then again, I wouldn't really know how to tell, but assuming they're fine, that leads me to think standard frets (what are they, nickel?) can last a fair amount of time without needing any work done besides leveling. So really, are stainless steel frets worth the extra money and sacrificing of binding?

I wouldn't sacrifice binding for the stainless steel frets. My Carvin has stainless steel frets but they don't offer binding so it wasn't a big deal. Standard nickel frets will last a long time, under regular use I would guess you could EASILY get 7-8 years out of them.

stainless steel frets as well have a different sound, another point to consider.

a fretjob (not only leveling, but a full replacement) should be around 100-250$ (depending on neck-construction (set neck, bolt-on, binding, mapleboard..).

when the "dents" in the frets become too deep they start buzzing, the tone dies when the string is bent etc...you'll notice.

I'd rather spend the 200 every couple of years

I don't notice any negative impact on my sound with stainless steel frets personally, I've heard people describe them as brighter but that's about it. Aside from the impact on the tooling, there are pretty much zero drawbacks to stainless steel frets. At the same time though, if they had never started using them on guitars, I never would've cared. If normal frets were that shitty, everyone would be using stainless on their guitars.

I don't notice any negative impact on my sound with stainless steel frets personally, I've heard people describe them as brighter but that's about it. Aside from the impact on the tooling, there are pretty much zero drawbacks to stainless steel frets. At the same time though, if they had never started using them on guitars, I never would've cared. If normal frets were that shitty, everyone would be using stainless on their guitars.

yeah, didn't wanna say they have a negative effect on the tone.
they just sound different