Statement from Edu Falaschi (ANGRA, ALMAH)

AngraRULES

Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
Not sure if you guys have been aware, but there's quite a few rumors going around the Angra camp. The band had previously announced a break after the Rock in Rio performance this past weekend. Kiko is moving to Finland, Edu and Felipe are focused in the new Almah disc coming out soon... lots of people wondering if this is it for the band...

Additionally, everyone knows Edu hasn't been a consistent live singer in a long time. This past weekend show at Rock in Rio was a giant nightmare for the band (lots of technical difficulties and Edu having one of his worst singing nights ever). Since 60,000 people were present and the show was being broadcast to dozens of millions of people in live TV, the critics have been bombarding him and the band. The following statement was just issued by Edu this morning:

"Dear Friends,

Finally, I would like to issue a statement with all my humility, integrity and sincerity.

For over 20 years I worked without a day of rest in the Heavy Metal, which we all know how difficult and technical the demands of style are.

When I joined Angra, I still had to fit a particularly high-pitched form of singing and totally out of my comfort-zone! At the time, I took the challenge and faced all the pressure. But 10 years ago was much easier due to my physical shape, excitement and age. I was feeling, however year after year, gradually, the difficulties of singing something so high and out of my natural trait. I fought to the end! I did everything possible to continue to sing the songs in Angra, particularly the oldest, always in high tones, because the melodic metal public "demanded" this of us singers. But unfortunately, today, older and more experienced, I admit that I am no longer able to sing in that way.

I am extremely tired and feeling the weight of all that in my own voice, including the register that has always been my strength! I'm a baritone singer who dominates the region of the medium, lows and drives with chest voice with a very aggressive connotation, as I did in Symbols and the recent Almah material. I won awards, reached great achievements and built my career and winning history with my own natural voice and style. My forte!

Anyway, I made a decision, thinking only and exclusively in the well-beingof my voice and integrity of my career, which I have built with so much passion and dedication. After fulfilling all the previously confirmed activities of the new Almah release, "Motion", I will stop indefinitely to finally rest and be able to focus out of my health and voice. Starting today, I'll just sing what is in my natural register, whether in Angra or any other band, for my own sake! I want to be who I really am, instead of being what people want me to be! In the meantime, I'll continue with my activities as a producer and composer, which are things I love doing, and not going to interfere with the progress of my recovery.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart to all the fans who always supported me and defended me unconditionally! I will always do my best, whether writing or singing for you and for the good of music itself. I'll do that with all my integrity, honesty, emotion and passion. This is the first step of a new phase in my life! I have confidence in the future and no matter what it brings, I'll always be passionate for the most fucking awesome music style in the universe, Heavy Metal"

Bravo to Edu. I've never understood why metal fans want the same thing live that they hear in the studio. Growing up in the 80s, what I loved about live albums and live shows was hearing new takes on older material. I only expected the most recent album to sound like the album, the older stuff should have evolved from being played live over the years, and usually did.

Edu is the singer of Angra and all Angra songs should be sung the way Edu would like to sing them. And personally, I'd rather hear Edu at his best than have him try to do his best Matos impersonation.

Edu is the singer of Angra and all Angra songs should be sung the way Edu would like to sing them. And personally, I'd rather hear Edu at his best than have him try to do his best Matos impersonation.

I'll second this. Angra can write excellent material around Edu's voice, and the end product will STILL sound like Angra. There is no good reason for Edu to continue to damage his pipes just to try and sound like a singer from four albums back.

Kudos to him for his honesty.

This is why I love Hansi live. He doesn't push it so hard that he burns out. He adjusts his vocal lines for live shows and screams only a few times. Though, part of the BG shows is the crowd singing everything too. I don't know what it's like for Angra.

Agreed with both you guys. I just wish a speedy and healthy recovery as I still want to hear more music from him in the future.

I for one was not impressed with Edu's lower range grunts and garbles on the new Almah release. I think it may be time to reach out to Mr Matos and re-unite the original band

I'm a baritone singer who dominates the region of the medium, lows and drives with chest voice with a very aggressive connotation, as I did in Symbols and the recent Almah material. I won awards, reached great achievements and built my career and winning history with my own natural voice and style. My forte!

Anyway, I made a decision, thinking only and exclusively in the well-being of my voice and integrity of my career, which I have built with so much passion and dedication. After fulfilling all the previously confirmed activities of the new Almah release, "Motion", I will stop indefinitely to finally rest and be able to focus out of my health and voice. Starting today, I'll just sing what is in my natural register, whether in Angra or any other band, for my own sake! I want to be who I really am, instead of being what people want me to be! In the meantime, I'll continue with my activities as a producer and composer, which are things I love doing, and not going to interfere with the progress of my recovery.

Well, good for him! Wish him all the best. He should definitely focus on his strengths so he, and we, can have many more years of excellent performances. Thanks for the honesty, Edu.

I for one was not impressed with Edu's lower range grunts and garbles on the new Almah release. I think it may be time to reach out to Mr Matos and re-unite the original band

I hope not. As much as I love the old Angra albums, I think they're a better band with Edu. That first breakup was like the gift that keeps on giving: Angra, Shaman, Matos solo, Almah...

AngraRules quote from the Steven Wilson discussion thread and slightly modified to fit here:
"Am I the only one who thinks he's being a little girl asking people not to expect Matos-era Angra songs sung like Matos? Is his self-esteem that low?"

:loco:

AngraRules quote from the Steven Wilson discussion thread and slightly modified to fit here:
"Am I the only one who thinks he's being a little girl asking people not to expect Matos-era Angra songs sung like Matos? Is his self-esteem that low?"

:loco:

:lol:

Edu is not snobby like Steven Wilson. He's one of the most approachable and friendly guys out there in heavy metal. He also doesn't constantly criticized the style of music that made him what he is. :lol: Plus he's not asking fans not to ask for those songs. He's telling fans "I won't play them." :p And he has more of a valid reason than SW. :p

With all that said, you got me nonetheless. :lol::lol:

Matos can't sing like that anymore either, from what I've heard.

Here's a question: Would you rather that (A) Angra finds a new singer that can sing the songs correct to album standards, (B) Angra changes the keys of the songs, and rewrites the vocal melodies to better fit Edu's voice, or (C) Angra plays primarily from their Edu-era material, and only plays the Matos era music that Edu can comfortably replicate?

Matos can't sing like that anymore either, from what I've heard.

Yeah, but he's still miles ahead of Edu unfortunately (for Edu). Plus considering how long Matos has been at it, he still sounds incredible.

Cheiron said:
Here's a question: Would you rather that (A) Angra finds a new singer that can sing the songs correct to album stnadards, (B) Angra changes the keys of the songs, and rewrites the vocal melodies to better fit Edu's voice, or (C) Angra plays primarily from their Edu-era material, and only plays the Matos era music that Edu can comfortable replicate?

You know, I'm really on the fence about this. I personally would be fine with A or C. I don't think rewriting vocal melodies for Edu would work well. He tried that with a few old songs and the results were never the same.

I will add one more thing to these rumors though... In a recent radio interview before the Rock in Rio show, Edu said that "He has to really think what his decision will be about Angra after Rock in Rio." He also said something along the lines of "I really think we should talk a lot and make sure we're going forward. I don't want to continue doing something that has become stale just for $ anymore. Almah has tried the best to offer something fresh and new, something exciting and I don't see that happening with Angra."

I hope this might have just been misinterpreted, but who knows...

I guess I don't really understand why everyone thought it was necessary to continue to emulate Matos on new material after he left. I guess I can understand with the older material, but moving forward it should be whatever strengths the new lead singer has.

All of this time, I never knew that Edu was stretching himself to reach those notes. I had just thought they found a Matos clone to basically sound similar to what they had before.

Personally, I wouldn't mind B. Many bands do just that. Obviously, it doesn't always work and some songs probably would never be performed that way because they don't sound right, but that's fine. Do what is best for your band's capabilities and don't do what you can't pull off.

Bummer. I love the hell out of Edu. I hope he has a good recovery. As far as what Angra should do...I think they should just write new material that actually suits their vocalist. As for old material live, maybe shift the keys.