Statement from Edu Falaschi (ANGRA, ALMAH)

They have four albums with Edu, 3 with Matos. They could focus on the Edu material (there's plenty that they don't need to write a lot of new stuff for him, though new good material is always welcome), but many fans really want to hear the songs from Holy Land/Angels Cry.

As a singer with a similar range to Edu's, I can relate. Though I'm known as "The 'Queen of the Reich' Guy," I'm actually a baritone who prefers to sing in the tenor range. Unfortunately, recording my first two albums over the year of 2010 really pushed me as far as I could go in the tenor range. The "Images and Words"-era James LaBrie-influenced lines I once sang with ease are now completely out of my reach. I actually dread the thought of performing with Katagory V again once this album finally sees the light of day. I have to give Edu a lot of credit for giving it his best despite the criticisms he has received (and will most likely continue to receive). I think it's time I followed suit somewhat and give my voice a rest for a while. That said, based on all of the reading I've done about the voice, I do believe that singers like Edu can sing outside of their normal range. It just takes a lot of training and discipline, and I know I could use more of both. Here's to hoping that Edu's voice will re-gain the strength to accomplish what he desires.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

He can do this without strain, but it's not something usually taught by operatic or traditional teachers of other styles of music. This I think shows he has not been equipped to take care of his voice. Today there are many good singing instructors who teach this method of being able to sing consistently, in a way that doesn't strain, and with full range from lows all the way to whistle voice, systems designed FOR metal music. Agree with you Met-Al.

Yeah, but he's still miles ahead of Edu unfortunately (for Edu). Plus considering how long Matos has been at it, he still sounds incredible.

You know, I'm really on the fence about this. I personally would be fine with A or C. I don't think rewriting vocal melodies for Edu would work well. He tried that with a few old songs and the results were never the same.

I will add one more thing to these rumors though... In a recent radio interview before the Rock in Rio show, Edu said that "He has to really think what his decision will be about Angra after Rock in Rio." He also said something along the lines of "I really think we should talk a lot and make sure we're going forward. I don't want to continue doing something that has become stale just for $ anymore. Almah has tried the best to offer something fresh and new, something exciting and I don't see that happening with Angra."

I hope this might have just been misinterpreted, but who knows...

This. The Rock in Rio show was kinda a disaster, unfortunately. I like Edu as a person, as far as how he comes across in interviews, just a nice, pleasant, and intelligent person. If he will heal and learn how to better care for his voice I think he could do even better than before, and reach the high stuff with ease. Something I think Labrie did. As pretty much my most favorite singer, Matos sounds awesome, but he does sound a bit tired as in worn from all these many years of singing.

Edu didnt deserve any criticism for the discs he's recorded with Angra, but the last Almah just was a super disappointment vocally. The question is; do you think he went into his Angra auditions thinking about his vocal range? He knew what they were and he replicated Matos so as to get the gig. Now that hes known he wants to bail out on Angra or change the way he sings? Just bothers me

I like Edu, it does take guts to make a statement like that. I think Rebirth was an amazing album debut for him in the band. I am more a fan of the Matos era, I think that era had more feeling and magical songs not just from the singing but the music as well. From Rebirth on it became more about the technical prowess of the band and Temple of Shadows pushed it to the max. That being said, I dont think one can say he just cant sing Matos era, I dont think he can sing his era if he is talking about the height of range, Temple and Rebirth have some very high tenor stuff. I think what was mentioned above is correct, he needs recovery and also training of his voice to pull this off consistently live. If he wants to do that or not is his right of course but I do think the statement is partly true and partly trying to also sell the new lower baritone style he is wanting to showcase in Almah. Look at the live DVD of Angra, he sings Matos era songs just as perfectly as in the original albums (of course its overdubbed as pretty much all dvd's and live shows are) but studio redubs or not, he was at one point able to sing that stuff very easily in a recording situation. He sounds from all the youtube live videos over the past few years like he is vocally injured and does need rest. I wish him the best recovery because he does seem like a really good guy and a talented singer.

...and to cap this off, Edu is THE BEST singing his natural tone on the new and ANGRY "Almah-Motion" coming out October 14th. Forget the other two Almah titles, this one won't stop spinning! Our hats off to this honest PRO and thank you Edu for the autographed cover! Thumbs up brother...