Technical Metal Bands

DrainHook

Feb 11, 2002
Visit site
Please everyone list Technical Tetal Bands so I can try em out.
This is such an obscure slice of the metal pie, and I need as many names as I can get

meaning:

Spiral Heartattack
Cynic
Watchtower
Athiest
Psychotic Waltz some

please make this list longer...

BELIEVER, PESTILENCE, THOUGHT INDUSTRY, CONTROLED DENIED, DEATH...but then again, this is getting into something that I frown upon (catgorizing bands.) So look 'em up download an mp3 and take off...

Originally posted by DAVETHEMETALGUY
...but then again, this is getting into something that I frown upon (catgorizing bands.) So look 'em up download an mp3 and take off...

That is a little unfair coming from someone who makes a career out of metal DJ'ing. Do you get all your records sent to you by the record companies for free or a fraction of the cost per chance?

The way I see it, fans have to spend a lot of money taking risks in buying CDs of most bands that are from some remote country. That means, you very rarely get to see them live either. Just look at the line up for PP3 - amazing that these bands have never toured the US before eh? I bet half the people out there rely on the progpower tours to give them an indication of what is considered good music.

So without being able to 'sample' the music effectively, sometimes you end up with a shitty CD that you never listen to again. Most on-line CD stores only list catalogs without MP3s. Without "categories", you would be even more blindsighted when buying albums. Categories help me to distinguish 'death' metal from 'power' metal etc. I mean, at least I know I'm shopping in the right section!

I think categories help us distinguish our tastes. Taking them away only leaves the fans who listen to ALL metal unaffected. I, for one, do not and cannot stand a good 50% of the metal out there. Different strokes for different folks. :)

:worship: OPETH OPETH OPETH OPETH :worship:
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

dream theater (of course)
queensryche
blind guardain
comma (turkish prog metal band - graded 5/5 by metal hammer - definitely download their songs: solid trance, never betray)
liquid tension ex. (of course)
arcturus
arabesque

Whats the URL for the Turkish Band Comma?

Demonspell I need to hear more of their stuff, I caught part of Solid Trance on an online radio show and it kicked ass.

demonspell and zinescene your interest sincerely made me very happy. comma is definitely an exceptional band and definitely need more recognition in the world...well the only recognition they get is from guys like me who follow the turkish metal scene and from foreigners like you whho pay attention to music from other countries...anyway, demonspell, on which radio did you hear them? this is really some great news for me! and i hope you liked solid trance, for it's quitegood. and well, the best i can do for you guys is give you their track listing for their album "elusive dreams" and i gues all of these songs are uploaded on the audiogalaxy...im sorry but i have no idea where you can buy their cd online...and they dont have a url either. they are only mentioned in their label's ite and thats all (www.hammermuzik.com). it is in turkish so it wouldnt be of much help. but i definitely suggest that you download them from audiogalaxy and gi ve them a good listen. and by the way, they are in studio now...they say their next album will be lose to the sound of pain of salvation and evergrey. anway...here is the track listimng for elusive dreams:
1.clown
2.never betray
3.lost tears (this is an acoustic track)
4.cradle of my dreams
5.testimony within
6.key of virtue
7.elusive dream of life
8.solid trance
9.mask of silence
and just a liitle bit of info on the band: their new bassist is 20 years old! and all of these guys are still university students. their live track list includes songs from rush, dream theater and iron maiden...and right now they are waiting for the response from wacken open air to play .

<<That is a little unfair coming from someone who makes a career out of metal DJ'ing. Do you get all your records sent to you by the record companies for free or a fraction of the cost per chance? >>

SURE IT'S UNFAIR, BUT I DJ FOR THE LOVE OF IT (I DONT GET PAID)
AND BY THE WAY 8 OUT OF 20 CD'S I GET A WEEK ARE CRAP!
ALL THESE OBSCURE BANDS ON OBSCURE LABELS, WHO DON'T SEND OUT BIG PROMO PACKS, I HAVE TO PAY FOR THESE CD'S MYSELF, SO DON'T GO JUDGING ME THAT I GET ALL MY STUFF FOR FREE WHEN YOU OBVIOUSLY DONT KNOW WHAT I DO.

is there a difference between prog metal and technical metal?
There has been a lot of new metal genres coming out now. It's hard to keep track hows what.

Like:
Prog metal
Technical metal
Hollywood metal
Symphonic metal
power metal

whats what?

I just remember when metal was metal. The genre has split into so many. Can't keep up anymore.

Kent

progressive metal is the genre that blends other genres of music. for instance prog rock bands like yes used to fuse classical music with rock, while bands like rush and dream theater fuse jazz with rock/metal (e.g. they took unusual rhythms, extraordinary bass lines, etc.) i had seen the name "hollywood metal" on the rhapsody cd, i have no idea what it means. power metal is a sub-genre of speed metal. symphonic metal uses symphonic touches in their music like arcturus, therion. as you can see these are all interlinked. "technical metal" was,i guess, just made up by the person who starte this thread. he probably used it as an adjective, though.

Originally posted by Don Corleone
i had seen the name "hollywood metal" on the rhapsody cd, i have no idea what it means.

The term "Hollywood Metal" was given to Rhapsody by their record label - I assume they don't mind since it appears on all their CDs now.

It can be best described as Power Metal meets Movie Soundtrack music. Composers such as Basil Poledouris (Conan), James Horner (Braveheart), Hans Zimmer (Gladiator), and Danny Elfman (Evil Dead trilogy & Batman) are all a heavy influence.

I guess what makes Rhapsody unique is that they use real symphonies - actual orchestras with Russian choirs etc. It's very impressive and the production is amazing. Sasha Paeth (ex Heavens Gate) and Miro have produced for Rhapsody, Angra, Kamelot, and Luca Truilli.

If you like epic haunting soundtrack type music, but prefer your metal to be a little more extreme, try BalSagoth. Very underrated and from the UK.

By the way, Rhapsody are Italian, and just like their fellow movie makers (Fulci, Argento, Bava etc), make room for lots of cheese. It's definatley genre music for the fantasy/d&d fanatics. :D

Thanks Don and Maestro.

I consider my band prog metal. We definitely inject both classical and jazz influences in our music. With time changes, complex parts, mood changes etc.. We tend to stay away from the fantasy themes though. It's done so much. So our Lyrics have more to do with everyday lifes trials.

I have a couple of the Rhapsody cds, and one of Luca's solo projects. It's pretty good. Can get drawn out at times.
Really like Angra a lot. Holy land is my favorite cd by them. They inject many different things into it. Havent heard their new vocalist yet. Is he good?

Kent

Originally posted by kherman

Really like Angra a lot. Holy land is my favorite cd by them. They inject many different things into it. Havent heard their new vocalist yet. Is he good?

Kent

I think Rebirth is their best album yet :)

Isn't 'technical' another name for 'progressive'?

By the way, all music can be bridged between genres and categories. The obvious example is Symphony X who bridge symphony and progressive.

Another band is Evergrey - I thought "In Search of the Truth" was very 'movie' like (in reference to the Hollywood metal description).