The Madden Curse?

SlappyWhitey

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
Is there a Madden curse?

Mike Vick was elated to be on the cover of the football video game Madden NFL 2004 (the titles correspond to the calendar year of each season's Super Bowl). But it's becoming an honor few may want in coming seasons.

Since Electronic Arts began putting NFL players on the cover, all four cover subjects have either had injuries or suffered a decline in performance. The others:

Madden 2001 cover: Eddie George, Titans RB

Before cover: The Titans reached the Super Bowl the prior season and George had gone to three consecutive Pro Bowls.

After cover: George made the Pro Bowl in 2000, but averaged 3.2 yards per carry in 2001 and 2002 and the Titans haven't been back to the Super Bowl.

Madden 2002 cover: Daunte Culpepper, Vikings QB

Before cover: Culpepper threw 33 TD passes and led team to the NFC championship game.

After cover: Culpepper missed five games in 2001 with a knee injury, threw a league-high 23 interceptions in 2002; the Vikings have gone 11-21 since 2000.

Madden 2003 cover: Marshall Faulk, Rams RB

Before cover: Faulk had become the first player in NFL history to gain 2,000 yards from scrimmage in four consecutive seasons; the Rams had been to three straight postseasons.

After cover: Plagued by an ankle injury, Faulk started a career-low 10 games as the Rams missed the playoffs.

-- Ken Sugiura
Useless shit but something to ponder while you are on the shitter or bored as a mofo!!!

Who cares? Michael Vick is the most overrated quarterback in the league and this injury only means I don't have to see his ''highlights" during nfl2night.

Ragamuffin said:
Who cares? Michael Vick is the most overrated quarterback in the league and this injury only means I don't have to see his ''highlights" during nfl2night.

NICE COLTS LOGO. I love Peyton Mannings perfect playoff record. WINLESS. ROTFLMAO.

Shit happens, it's only a matter of health and time until the Colts have their well deserved rings.

But I fail to see what that has to do with Micheal Vick or Madden

Michael Vick is not hard to shut down. Put the slightest of pressure on him and he folds like a card table. Ask Tampa, Chicago, and Green Bay.

The play he got hurt on was a prime example of that. A little danger arrives, he tries to run, gets crushed.

I was actually looking forward to seeing the defences shift and neutralize him more and more this year, maybe in a few weeks.

Michael Vick can do things that you can't coach. It takes awhile for most qb's to develop in the NFL because everything's so challenging. His best years are ahead of him. The Falcons are lucky to have him cuz there's just not enough good qb's in the NFL anymore.

Daunte Culpepper may break out of his slump-word is that the Vikings have a good a chance as anybody to win the NFC North. I'm still cursing the Bears for not trading up to draft him and instead drafting pretty boy Cade McNown. I just hope Grossman doesn't end up like him.

Obviously you didn't watch the playoffs, sir. Falcons 27 Packers 7. Vick has already won more playoff games in his career than Peyton Manning has.

TD, I echo your sentiments on this one.

Rich

PS. Here is this year's fantasy football super-duper-deluxe-supreme sleeper pick. LaBrandon Toefield, RB, Jacksonville. Why? He's Fred Taylor's backup in Jacksonville. Taylor actually stayed healthy last year so he's due for an injury-plagued season.

CyThrax said:
Michael Vick can do things that you can't coach. It takes awhile for most qb's to develop in the NFL because everything's so challenging. His best years are ahead of him. The Falcons are lucky to have him cuz there's just not enough good qb's in the NFL anymore.

Daunte Culpepper may break out of his slump-word is that the Vikings have a good a chance as anybody to win the NFC North. I'm still cursing the Bears for not trading up to draft him and instead drafting pretty boy Cade McNown. I just hope Grossman doesn't end up like him.

Daunte Culpepper will dominate this year!!! He is from my Alma Mater and current school - The University of Central Florida. He still comes back to campus over the summer and gets in on some pick up b-ball games. The dude is MASSIVE.......and QUICK. I was leaving campus after a night class a month or so ago and I was behind a sweet Lincoln Navigator. I noticed it had T.V screens in the back of both front seats. I told myself, there is only one person that would be on UCF's campus that could afford a ride like that. I sped up and sure enough it was DC.

I hope he raises his game back to where it was, because he is awesome to watch when he has some help around him.

On a side note.......Daunte's alma mater (and mine), the UCF Golden Knights take on Mike Vick's alma mater, the VaTech Hokies on Saturday, Aug 31 on ESPN to kick off the college football season.............You heard it here first.........UCF 27 - VaTech 24.

coop said:
Obviously you didn't watch the playoffs, sir. Falcons 27 Packers 7.

The Pack may have lost that game but they held vick back for most of it. They lost that game offensively. Injured recievers can't catch.

Ragamuffin said:
Shit happens, it's only a matter of health and time until the Colts have their well deserved rings.

But I fail to see what that has to do with Micheal Vick or Madden

It has nothing to do with either, I was just remindinding all about Mannings perfect record in the playoffs. NO WINS. What was that score last year 41- ZERO. 2nd worst playoff loss in the entire history of ALL FOOTBALL. The colts could not even beat a drum thats how bad they are.

sick_sick_sicks said:
It has nothing to do with either, I was just remindinding all about Mannings perfect record in the playoffs. NO WINS. What was that score last year 41- ZERO. 2nd worst playoff loss in the entire history of ALL FOOTBALL. The colts could not even beat a drum thats how bad they are.

That's probably pretty true

CyThrax said:
I'm still cursing the Bears for not trading up to draft him and instead drafting pretty boy Cade McNown. I just hope Grossman doesn't end up like him.

I'm still cursing the Bears for still having John Shoop as offensive coordinator. I bet his playbook is one page long with only two plays.

Play #1) Short dump off pass for 1 yard.
Play #2) Run it up the middle for -5 yards.

I really, really hope Stewert can make something happen this season.

How is Vick overrated? Fastest PLAYER in the NFL, and has a gun of an arm. If he turns his game into what McNabb has, watch out. Vick is awesome. I followed him since I first saw him play in college and so him gun the ball 60+ yards while scrambling and throwing on one foot. He's freaking amazing. He was my #1 fantasy draft pick (how can you argue with a player that gives you rb stats and qb stats at once?)
Sleeper pick? I'm going with Drew Brees. He now has Boston to throw to and still has Tomlinson.

remington69 said:
I'm still cursing the Bears for still having John Shoop as offensive coordinator. I bet his playbook is one page long with only two plays.

Play #1) Short dump off pass for 1 yard.
Play #2) Run it up the middle for -5 yards.

I really, really hope Stewert can make something happen this season.

Pretty sure they got rid of that first one this last off season

This is the greatest time of year. The Bengals have a perfect regular season record. I still have a hopeful outlook for the season and this year we will win more than two damn games...
Cincinnati in the super bowl in three years or less.

WHO DEY!

Riehlthing said:
The Bungles...woohoo...
I'm a closet Bungles fan too...I'm sympthetic to them. I'm a Seahawk fan and I recognize the level of optimistism associated with Bungle cheering.

How are all the Seahawk fans liking Seneca Wallace so far this preseason at quarterback?

Well, he and Josh Brown can duke it out for the #3 spot, and so far, I've heard many good things about Seneca and I hope he gets that spot. Nothing like having a mobile qb...he just needs to get bigger. He's pretty small isn't he? Most of the attention has been to their Defense improvements.