The Official Movie Thread

Meh, Lynch's movies are a complete WTF for me. Twisted just for the sake of being such, and overall, unsatisfactory in the end. I did like Wild at Heart, though.

the worst fucking movie I have ever seen by far is "house of a 1000 corpses", I (for no reason whatsoever) forced myself to sit through that whole movie
Sailing the seas of complete fucking cheese and no land in sight. I actually like to watch run-of-the-mill horror movies if only to laugh at how utterly uninspired and fake they are.

Surely there are fans of Mulholland Dr. here as well.

David Lynch is great...I love Lost Highway especially, but I did not actually like Mulholland Dr. To me it didn't exactly feel like a David Lynch film, it felt more like someone making a David Lynch wannabe film. It was almost as if he tried to make a parody of his own style. And I didn't like the characters.

Spiderman 3 anyone?

I'll admit I did watch the first two, I was invited to watch and I did enjoy Spiderman as a kid. I thought they were actually fairly good movies. Spiderman 3...with Venom...err, that guy from That 70's Show with the sideburns and all...I was kinda curious to see how that plays out since, his character is supposed to be a tough jock if I remember correctly.

David Lynch is great...I love Lost Highway especially, but I did not actually like Mulholland Dr. To me it didn't exactly feel like a David Lynch film, it felt more like someone making a David Lynch wannabe film. It was almost as if he tried to make a parody of his own style. And I didn't like the characters.

That could be because it was supposed to be an entire television show season crammed into one movie? I don't know. I love Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway. I still need to see Inland Empire, though.

That could be because it was supposed to be an entire television show season crammed into one movie? I don't know. I love Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway. I still need to see Inland Empire, though.

Yeah I can tell by your avatar - that was a brilliant scene :kickass: ...but Mullholland Drive, I just don't like it.

Why I like Lynch's films, contrary to some. Because of the mystery element, you can never quite fully understand what is there, and so you are forced to think and input your own understanding/imagination. I HATE in American/Hollywood films how they are constantly telling you what is happening, why its happening and what will happen - or by the end of the movie, everything will be revealed and so its leaves nothing of the imagination, or any depth. It's just a precise account of a completely one-dimensional plot.

People who don't like Lynch's films because they can't understand them should just go see another Harrison Ford movie, because at least then they know exactly what happens before it even starts....Harrison's family is kidnapped, or endangered and so he goes on a dramatic, predictable, cliche and action-packed vendetta.

Damn, no love for Dune :(

I'd like to see the new spiderman...but I'd rather watch Grindhouse (still haven't seen it)...preferably though I would like to just go out and buy "Thank You for Smoking".

Anyone like....The Red Violin? I thought it was a fantastic movie, and one of Samuel L. Jackson's better movies.
There is also a remake of the original Hellraiser in the works...Clive Barker wrote the screenplay. No other info yet though.

Italian Gialli and Horror for me. Though my favorite movie is Baraka which has nothing to do with either.

FUCK YES. My school is doing Noises Off... after I graduate. I'm pissed.

Ah, dude. Noises Off... is awesome, but can you imagine how incredibly difficult it would be to pull off? We talked about doing it in my senior year, but it was simply too hardcore for us (and we had a pretty serious club).

The greatest thing about the movie is that if you've done any theater, you know exactly how they feel.

"Lloyd, since we're stopped, I just want to say that I've worked with a lot of directors. Some were geniuses, and some were bastards. But I've never met one who was just so, totally... I don't know"

I generally like the smaller, independent films more than traditional hollywood fare (though some good stuff does emerge from it time to time). I also see a ton of these greats in my film studies course. Off the top of my head, some of my favorites are:

Wild Strawberries - Bergman
Belle de Jour - Bunuel
Blow Up - Antonioni
The Bicycle Thief - De Sica
Angst Essen Seele Auf (Ali: Fear Eats the Soul) - Fassbinder
Rashomon - Kurosawa
Run Lola Run - Tykwer
Before the Rain - Manchevski
Vertigo - Hitchcock
Breathless - Godard

Their are a ton more I am forgetting I am sure. Some recent films I enjoyed:

Pan's Labyrinth
Half Nelson
The Danish Poet (Animated Short)
The Lives of Others
Radiant City (Documentary)

Yeah I'll have to see Hot Fuzz soon. Not sure if it's out here yet though. "The Science of Sleep" is also supposed to be excellent, but still not out here.

Hot Fuzz has been out in Australia for a while. Just saw "Sunshine" in Tokyo, I'm not too big on sci-fi, but this was actually pretty good, amazing special effects.

Anyone know of any cool, weird-ass drug movies? Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was, for me, a highly entertaining movie (though largely due Johnny Depp's hilarious performance). I'd like to find more stuff like that to watch.

I should probably make a disclaimer that I'm not looking for retarded college movies like the Harold and Kumar series. I'd prefer drug movies with at least some semblance of intelligence.

I think the only movie that I like sort of along those lines of being slightly about drugs is Trainspotting, one of my fav films. :worship:

I think the only movie that I like sort of along those lines of being slightly about drugs is Trainspotting, one of my fav films. :worship:

I keep hearing about how great that movie is supposed to be. I need to actually see it sometime.