The Official Movie Thread

Most people say that Requiem for a Dream is the drug movie. I haven't actually seen it.

I need to see some more David Lynch films sometime. I really liked Mulholland Dr., although there's a clear break about an hour and a half in, where the plot descends into total weirdness, and there's no symbolic explanation for anything that happens. The first part of the movie is great though, and it probably would have made an interesting series. You can tell that the first half was for TV since there's no swearing or nudity, but the rest of the movie has much more R rated content.

Most people say that Requiem for a Dream is the drug movie. I haven't actually seen it.

Yes, generally Requiem for a Dream gets that name among many people, I forgot to mention that one....and it is good, but quite overrated I feel.

But yes, Trainspotting is excellent, as are Danny Boyle films!

few things i need to say :

1.sam raimi sucks, will go down as one of the worst film makers in my book.

2.japanese >> all when it comes to gore/horror (the guinea pig series and the likes, the string of brilliant horror movies in the late 90s)

3.i like my movies with both sex and violence and think preety much everyone does.
thank you :)

I watched this last night:

13TZAMETITEASER2sm.jpg

and thoroughly enjoyed it

trailer:

Glad you mentioned this film, I downloaded it earlier today and I just finished watching it. Great film :)

Last edited by a moderator:
1.sam raimi sucks, will go down as one of the worst film makers in my book.

2.japanese >> all when it comes to gore/horror (the guinea pig series and the likes, the string of brilliant horror movies in the late 90s)

If Sam Raimi will go down as one of the worst film makers in your book then your book sucks, no offense. The Evil Dead movies are classic horror movies that are still being ripped off to this day. Darkman is campy fun. A Simple Plan is a really good movie. And the Spiderman movies, well, I don't care for them so far but that has more to do with the scripts and casting decisions than anything else. They're still well directed. Then there's the TV series American Gothic which was starting to become really cool until the network decided to cancel it right before the end of the first season causing them to completely ruin the storyline by having to wrap up the story over the course of only a few episodes.

And Japanese horror movies are pretty overrated. Most white people seem to think anything from Japan is automatically cool(er) no matter how rubbish it actually is just because it is foreign and different. Not that there aren't good Japanese movies, but there is also so much utter tripe out there that people in the west are lapping up and proclaiming to be "brilliant". It's stupid.

I watched Der Untergang the other day. I was pretty skeptical about it but it turned out to be a very captivating movie. It could have been a bit shorter maybe, there were some parts where it did drag on a little. But still, I never believed a movie like this could possibly work but it does.

I don't mind Sam Raimi, and I wouldn't say he's bad. But as for Japanese horror or Japanese films, I've heard good things but haven't bothered to watch any, other than a few anime movies which I enjoyed. But really, comparing American films to foreign films is like comparing apples to oranges, except the apples are completely rotten. :) Not that all foreign films are good but in general, I would say about 99% of Hollywood films aren't worth watching, where as much of the independent/foreign film are.

I don't know, I just can't remember the last time that I truly enjoyed a Hollywood or more mainstream movie.

And Japanese horror movies are pretty overrated. Most white people seem to think anything from Japan is automatically cool(er) no matter how rubbish it actually is just because it is foreign and different. Not that there aren't good Japanese movies, but there is also so much utter tripe out there that people in the west are lapping up and proclaiming to be "brilliant". It's stupid.
I've noticed this as well and it also annoys me.

Anyone like....The Red Violin? I thought it was a fantastic movie, and one of Samuel L. Jackson's better movies.
I like this movie.

Im one of the biggest movie fans in the world...
Watching everything and buying as many dvds as i can...i also download alot of shitty movies that i wont spend my cash on.
My fav. genres are Horror and Thriller...

evil dead classic horror movies? man i give up...

You would deny that the Evil Dead movies (not counting Army of Darkness which I do agree gets overrated a lot) are cult classics in the horror genre? That doesn't mean you have to like them, but you cannot really dispute this.

I mean I never really understood why people rate The Exorcist so highly but I still acknowledge the fact it is a classic and important movie in the genre, despite the fact that I think it's pretty boring.

That doesn't mean you have to like them, but you cannot really dispute this.
personal opinions/likes aren't things that you can or should dispute over. from evil dead to the quick and the dead or the recent spiderman, it always appeared to me his core style of making movies remained the same with little variation.

I said you cannot dispute the fact that the movies have a classic status in the horror genre. I never said you cannot dislike them. Infact I just said the exact opposite in my last post. But oh well. Let's just drop it.

Cool! I'm glad you liked it. The director is reshooting the film and fixing a few things, and it should be out next year

Well, I actually just read something about that on IMDB...but it was something about Brad Pitt buying the film? and the movie was going to be re-made to a larger audience? I can understand if there were a few things that could be improved, but to remake it? :erk:

I think the film is good the way it is :)

Next, isn't that the one with Nicholage Cage? That movie might be a fun one to watch then as I've said this many times, but I just find him to be incredibly lame, as well as his movies. I don't mind him as a person, but I can't really take his movies seriously, sometimes I find them to be (awkwardly) hilarious during more 'serious' scenes.