The Sword - Apocryphon

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
I don't do stoner or blues rock or whatever you call this type of music but I just put this on in the background while I was writing something and to my surprise I enjoyed the riffs and grooves ok. These guys were supposed to be the next big thing weren't they? They deserve a bit more attention cause they sure know how to jam out some decent fuzz riffs. I listened to the whole album on YT. I don't know if I will ever listen again but I didn't stop either until the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
They deserve a bit more attention

srs? Apocryphon did almost 20,000 in one week over here. Guess they're not that big outside of the USA.

Also it's "called" heavy metal. Sorry it's not AOR. Maybe you've heard one of their influences by chance, Black Sabbath? Maybe not.

Are you taking the piss AS? lol you're funny man. You tell other people to chill out and then you go in both in with both feet yourself. It sounds like you're having a go at me for some unknown reason like you were offended by my few harmless words or something. Maybe they are pretty big and I misjudged them but to come out with a sentence like "Also it's "called" heavy metal. Sorry it's not AOR. Maybe you've heard one of their influences by chance, Black Sabbath? Maybe not." is a bit OTT don't you think? Oh well I'm not really offended but I just thought why the piss take?

Sry, I wasn't trying to be mean or anything, I was just making fun of the fact that your opening sentence was like "I DUNNO WHAT THIS YUCKY FUZZY STUFF SOUNDZ IS BUT ITS NEW TO ME". :p But you're right! Sry bruh. <333

On topic tho, have you seen The Sword live? They are much better than their contemporaries IMO. Alot of people praise bands like Electric Wizard and such, but after having seen both EW and The Sword, IMO The Sword was way more fun. I've seen them headline once and I saw the, open for Metallica. You should definitely get their first album.

Cool then. Although I don't know how you got "yucky" from my opening sentence lol cause all I said was I just don't normally listen to this style as it's not a fave of mine and I wasn't taking the piss out of that style at all. In the end I was positive about the album don't forget. :)

On topic tho, have you seen The Sword live? They are much better than their contemporaries IMO. Alot of people praise bands like Electric Wizard and such, but after having seen both EW and The Sword, IMO The Sword was way more fun.
I saw them the last time they came through NYC. While the band was tight as hell and the sound was terrific, I thought the vocals were lacking. I've always thought the vocals were solid on disc, but nothing special. I guess I was hoping that maybe he'd bring a little more fire or intensity in a live setting, but found it to be quite the opposite. It's a shame. I love this style of Metal. And it seems like a style that cries out for great vocalists. But it seems so few of these bands have anything more than average vocalists... or just awful vocalists (I'm looking at you High on Fire).

As for the OP... check out their previous album as well, I think it's their best work.

Hands down the best album this year. Nothing has grabbed me quite like this one, and yeah, that ZZ Top cover is incredible. He even does Gibbon's signature vocal style.