The top 50 metal guitarists

spawn

Apr 14, 2001
I decided that other list wasnt good enough, and rather than just complain, I made my own top 50.

Firstly, this is *strictly* METAL only, no hard rock, no glam, no borderline stuff. If I had to wonder if they were metal, they didnt make the list. If you want to add glam or hard rock, make your own list.

I weighted songwriting and general influence FAR more than technical ability, which is why someone like Yngwie didnt make the list, and someone like Dino Cazares did.

After all, nobody wants to hear a guitarist noodling for a whole album, you want to hear great songs. I also took into account guitarists who seem to be able to conjure up atmosphere just from their playing and general songwriting (why Isahn and Abbath made the list for instance).

People who write great solos AND great songs are up at the top naturally.

Some guitar duos were split because I didnt think they should be considered equal, though some were kept together, im sure you can see why when you look at the list.

(Also, in the case of someone like Vivian Campbell where he has been in lots of bands I just put the ones that I was counting when I made the list, so I didnt add Def Leppard for him for instance).

1. Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath)
2. James Hetfield (Metallica)
3. Trey Azagthoth (Morbid Angel)
4. Randy Rhoads (Ozzy)
5. Zakk Wylde (Black Label Society, Ozzy)
6. Adrian Smith (Iron Maiden, Bruce Dickinson solo)
7. Kirk Hammet (Metallica)
8. Jeff Hanneman (Slayer)
9. Dave Mustaine (Megadeth)
10. K.K. Downing/Glen Tipton (Judas Priest)
11. Vivian Campbell (Dio)
12. Roy Z (Bruce solo stuff, Halford)
13. Jeff Waters (Annihilator)
14. Eric Peterson (Testament, Dragonlord)
15. Jeff Loomis (Nevermore)
16. Richie Blackmore (Rainbow, Deep Purple)
17. Alexei Laiho (Sinergy, Children Of Bodom)
18. Dave Sabo (Skid Row)
19. Chuck Schuldiner (Death, Control Denied)
20. John Petrucci (Dream Theater, 8 million other prog bands)
21. Chris DeGarmo/Michael Wilton (Queensryche)
22. Michael Amott/Chris Amott (Arch Enemy)
23. Patrick Lachman/Mike Chlasiack (Halford)
24. Jon Schaffer (Iced Earth, Demons And Wizards)
25. Andy LaRocque (King Diamond)
26. Mantas (Venom)
27. Criss Oliva (Savatage)
28. Andreas Kisser (Sepultura)
29. Kai Hansen (Gamma Ray, Helloween)
30. Thomas Youngblood (Kamelot)
31. Isahn (Emperor)
32. Dimebag Darrell (Pantera)
33. Chris Broderick (Jag Panzer)
34. Michael Schenker (The Scorpions)
35. GusG (Firewind, Nightrage, Regressus, Dream Evil)
36. Silenoz (Dimmu Borgir)
37. Dino Cazares (Fear Factory)
38. Abbath (Immortal)
39. Mille Petrozza (Kreator)
40. Marty Friedman (Megadeth/Solo)
41. Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth)
42. Michael Romeo (Symphony X)
43. Peter Wiwezerak (Vader)
44. Kerry King (Slayer)
45. Scott Ian (Anthrax)
46. Blackie Lawless (WASP)
47. Andre Olbrich (Blind Guardian)
48. Jesper Stromblad (In Flames, Hammerfall)
49. Rob Flynn (Machinehead, Vio-lence)
50. Devin Townsend (Strapping Young Lad)

Dave never wrote enough stuff to be included, whereas Adrian wrote tons of awesome songs, as well as made brilliant solos too :headbang:

I certainly dont think they deserve to be seen as equals on my list anyway. He does smile a lot though, so I dont think his not being included will get him down too much :)

He was the guitarist in Cacophony with Marty Friedman (shred guitar stuff) and then he played with David Lee Roth until he was diagnosed with ALS and now he cant move at all, its very sad :cry:

Nope, Slave To The Grind is one of the greatest heavy metal albums of all time, Deep Purple and Rainbow are metal, Jag Panzer is CERTAINLY metal, and so are The Scorpions.

Im in shock that metal archives doesnt think The Scorpions are metal... ITS THE SCORPIONS MAN! They made pyramids to metal for crying out loud :headbang:

Skid Rows first album isnt metal, or its borderline, whatever, but Slave To The Grind and Subhuman Race definitely are, its a shame they turned into Matchbox 20 :cry:

Subhuman Race is less metal sounding than the debut. It's more grungy heavy rock stuff. If Subhuman Race is more metal than the debut, then Alice In Chains are more metal than Guns N Roses... which some might argue I spose but I certainly wouldn't.

GNR is hard rock, Alice In Chains is grunge, Slave To The Grind and Subhuman Race are metal albums, wheres the confusion?