THEOCRACY-Mirror Of Souls

Metal + Jesus = Fail

I bought the debut and thought it was musically solid. However, the lyrical subject matter (which is something I'm always keyed it on) ruined it for me. Nothing against anyone's religion, but Christian Metal feels like a horror movie about cute little puppies. Somethings just aren't a natural fit.

Metal + Satan = Chocolate + Peanut Butter

Metal + Jesus = Chocolate + Broccoli

:loco:

Zod

Metal + Jesus = Fail

I bought the debut and thought it was musically solid. However, the lyrical subject matter (which is something I'm always keyed it on) ruined it for me. Nothing against anyone's religion, but Christian Metal feels like a horror movie about cute little puppies. Somethings just aren't a natural fit.

Zod

I have to agree with Zod. Those two just dont mix. I went to thier myspace to check them out. The whole Christian thing runed it for me.

Metal + Jesus = Fail

Zod

Well maybe. Metal + Jesus if it was more truthful of the history could be about raping and pillaging.

Guys, not to turn this into an argument thread, which it's destined to be regardless, I'll say this. Jesus isn't in the old testament. With that said, wasn't Orphaned Land's Maboul about the flood from the old testament? Anyway, I don't have a problem with Christian lyrics in my metal if it's well executed. I have no doubt that Theocracy's will be well executed due to Matt's talent and understanding of metal in general. With that said, I can listen to Rob Rock's music any day of the week as well simply due to the quality. Lastly, there are band's that turn me off due to their overtly anti-Christian lyrics, so it works both ways I guess.

~Brian~

Guys, not to turn this into an argument thread, which it's destined to be regardless...
I disagree. :loco:

Jesus isn't in the old testament.
Did someone say he was?

With that said, wasn't Orphaned Land's Maboul about the flood from the old testament?
I think the difference is, Orphan Land uses religion as a backdrop on Mabool. With Matt, the lyrics are often about his personal walk with Jesus.

Lastly, there are band's that turn me off due to their overtly anti-Christian lyrics, so it works both ways I guess.
I'm guessing you're not the only one.

Zod

Nothing turns me off lyrically if it's poetic...

I can't wait to hear this album! The first album rocked...

Just so happens...
np: Dimmu Borgir - Behind The Curtains Of Night - Phantasmagoria

:lol:

I did not plan this...

Not at all. I've heard a lot of people say they won't listen to some bands, because of how over the top Satanic they are.

Zod

Well, it may sound odd, but some bands can be outright "campy" in their presentation. On the other hand, some bands aren't. The campy bands I simply shrug off and take them for what they are. I have fairly thick skin these days when it comes to metal, because I have to. Metal is just what I like, so I've had to learn to deal with it.

~Brian~

Well, it may sound odd, but some bands can be outright "campy" in their presentation.
Agreed.

On the other hand, some bands aren't. The campy bands I simply shrug off and take them for what they are. I have fairly thick skin these days when it comes to metal, because I have to. Metal is just what I like, so I've had to learn to deal with it.
Just curious... are you saying the "campy" anti-Christian bands don't bother you, but the ones whom seem sincere in their anti-Christian sentiment do?

Zod

Metal + Jesus = Fail

Zod

I suppose, and this has been touched on slightly, there's a difference between religious songs, and songs about religions. "Mabool" is an amazing album, and the lyrics (in my opinion) are wonderful and really make great music even better for me, even though I'm a nonbeliever. Its the same with select tracks from Blind Guardian. I may not believe in Christianity/Jesus, but lyrics like "hit me, nail me, make me God" always get me pumped and are very different from lyrics about the glory of Jesus and how wonderful he is. For me, that's the difference between religious songs and songs about religion. From a mythological view, I can get into the raw emotions surrounding gods and legends, but I can't get into it so much from a spiritual/religious view.

I tend to agree with edgeofthorns, I steer clear of the overtly satanic themed music. Anything else is fair game in my book if the music rules!

I haven't heard the finalized versions yet, but having listened to the "almost final" versions for awhile, the band has taken a quantum leap forward in production and skill. It's nice to see what we've been able to do with time and the experience to be able to do everything right. This album smokes the first album.

As a long-time member of their forum and the administrator of their myspace page, I have a pretty good view of their fanbase. I am continually surprised at the number of fans they have that are non-Christian or even anti-Christian. Plenty of people like the music independent of the lyrics. And, of course, many like it specifically due to the lyrics.

In regards to the lyrics, I'm not a Christian, but as someone who enjoys Christian music, I find Matt's lyrics to be vastly superior to other contemporary Christian artists, metal or otherwise. He really gets into what Christianity is all about and the struggles of a believer with himself. It's incredibly moving and you don't have to be a believer to understand where he's coming from. We all struggle with issues of faith and morality, regardless of our religious beliefs. What makes Theocracy special is that the lyrics in most of the songs are universal.

Writing in the Sand is pure genius. I've heard the phrase "Judge not lest you be judged" used by believers and non-believers in different ways, but I think few people really understand what it means. Writing in the Sand makes you understand exactly what that concept means to a Christian.

I'm not a Christian either, and I typically don't enjoy Christian music. But I give credit where credit is to due to good fucking music. Theocracy is up with Divinefire in the elite Christian metal tier; those bands (among a few other Christian bands) are good metal bands regardless of lyrical content. I know of some other great Christian metal bands to listen to, but I do admit that they are few and far between (the glut of Christian "metal" is stupid hardcore, metalcore, or nu-metal, which musically I detest).

I recommend you guys scope out Paramaecium for some great death-doom metal, or the band Lengsel for an interesting take on death/black metal, and the band Phlebotomized, who had some Christian themes, were an AMAZING progressive death metal band from the early 90s.

The Christian music that I hate is the overly-simplified praise/worship songs that get radio play. I don't see how music that simple can inspire anyone or evoke any real emotion.

I'm not a Christian either, and I typically don't enjoy Christian music. But I give credit where credit is to due to good fucking music.
I don't think anyone is criticizing the music. I think it's solely about whether or not the lyrics ruin the music. For me, they do. Perhaps it's because I'm quite familiar with the bible, and Matt's lyrics contain one biblical reference after another. Combine this with lyrics being of great import to me and my views on religion, and it becomes impossible for me to enjoy the music.

Zod