THEOCRACY-Mirror Of Souls

Haha, Ripper calls him Shaggy....that's great! Don't tell Kris that he knows those guys....

No, actually, not Ripper. This is a guy named Dale, who also uses "Digger or "Gravedigger" as his nickname. He's from Florida.
Dale makes -serious- leather armor -- and it's seriously expensive, too. But if you've seen Behemoth's armor, or Dimmu's, then you can understand why.

I'm hoping he returns to the GA RennFaire again this season. Last year he did the Faire for the first time, and had a tent set up just above the joust field. On display for the entire season was Dimmu keyboardist Mustis' glorious black leather armor -- "wow, skinniest armor I've ever seen!" :) -- which he has now taken possession of. :headbang:

Who else here has recently picked up a copy of this disc? I hope Theocracy can find a new bass player ASAP. Also, will they be playing any local shows in December? I LOVE their Christmas shows!

Metal + Jesus = Fail

I bought the debut and thought it was musically solid. However, the lyrical subject matter (which is something I'm always keyed it on) ruined it for me. Nothing against anyone's religion, but Christian Metal feels like a horror movie about cute little puppies. Somethings just aren't a natural fit.

Metal + Satan = Chocolate + Peanut Butter

Metal + Jesus = Chocolate + Broccoli

:loco:

Zod

Just curious........You like Redemption right? I understand that Redemption and Theocracy are not apples and apples but there is no doubt Christian themes in Nick’s music.

No, actually, not Ripper. This is a guy named Dale, who also uses "Digger or "Gravedigger" as his nickname. He's from Florida.
Dale makes -serious- leather armor -- and it's seriously expensive, too. But if you've seen Behemoth's armor, or Dimmu's, then you can understand why.

I'm hoping he returns to the GA RennFaire again this season. Last year he did the Faire for the first time, and had a tent set up just above the joust field. On display for the entire season was Dimmu keyboardist Mustis' glorious black leather armor -- "wow, skinniest armor I've ever seen!" :) -- which he has now taken possession of. :headbang:

Oh, ok....even more EVIL than Ripper, eh? =)

Just curious........You like Redemption right? I understand that Redemption and Theocracy are not apples and apples but there is no doubt Christian themes in Nick’s music.
Lyrically, I'd say they are apples and oranges, both in regard to subject matter and quality.

I don't have an issue with lyrics being written from the perspective of someone who has faith. Actually, the Redemption song that deals most directly with religion is one of my favorites. However, I have no interest in lyrics about faith.

Zod

Lyrically, I'd say they are apples and oranges, both in regard to subject matter and quality.
Zod

Zod, I'm curious. Are you implying that Theocracy's lyrics aren't good quality, simply because Matt is up front about believing in Christ? Quite frankly, I feel like Redemption's lyrics are a little over done and long winded, but that's just my take.

~Brian~

I don't have an issue with lyrics being written from the perspective of someone who has faith. Actually, the Redemption song that deals most directly with religion is one of my favorites. However, I have no interest in lyrics about faith.

Zod

Being a person of faith, I must admit that I have struggled with faith based metal. Although I liked Stryper lets say back in the 80's, A band like that today would do nothing for me. I don't need every song on an album to have a hook based on "he's the rock" , "he's the way" , etc.

By the same token, I don't get Christian death metal. There is nothing more ridiculous to me that a band singing about JESUS in a death vox style.

Back on topic, I plan on giving this cd a spin before I judge it. Mat is very talented for sure in my eyes.

By the same token, I don't get Christian death metal. There is nothing more ridiculous to me that a band singing about JESUS in a death vox style.

I don't have a problem with "Christian Death Metal" if a person enjoys it. I personally don't, but death metal is simply a style to me. I realize there are people on here that disagree with that view though.

For instance, let's take two different types of bands/singers. One being a death metal band another being say a punk band. You could have both of them sing the same "Christian" lyrics and both songs would mean the same thing to me. With that said, I might simply enjoy the death style over the punk or vice versa. (shrugs)

~Brian~

i thought they have had pretty solid music...but its hard, cos of the lyrics, for me to get into it.

its hard to really feel something that seems to preach against your own beliefs...not that i have anything against religious lyrics...but it felt like a sermon in sing-song.

IMO, it's all about the message and the way the musicians live their lives OFFSTAGE that makes the biggest difference between secular and Christian metal. The music is all good, and I'm a firm believer in the notion that God created ALL forms of music. Above all, JESUS CHRIST ROCKS! Would Jesus be seen at a metal show if He were here on Earth today? YES!

Back to the original topic at hand: the new Theocracy!!!

Listened to it a couple times now, and it is another quality slab of music! I was a HUGE fan of the original release, even using programmed drums and all, so the bar was pretty high to start with for this album. The melodies are structured very similar to the debut, with the music being a bit heavier, especially in the early parts of the album. The opus "Mirror of Souls" has some very killer parts to it, and really never drags at any point, but will take a few more spins to absorb.

Great stuff!!!