Timo not happy that Stratovarius is going to keep using that name...

Former STRATOVARIUS mastermind Timo Tolkki, who who drew up and signed an official waiver on May 20, 2008 giving up all rights to the STRATOVARIUS name, has issued the following statement in response to the announcement by the group's remaining members that they have "decided to carry the legacy of STRATOVARIUS into the future" without him:

"I, like everybody, read today that Kotipelto, Michael and Johansson are continuing their new band as STRATOVARIUS. I have really nothing else to say except to comment the quote of Jens Johansson, 'After Tolkki gave his blessing for us to go on without him.'

"I have never gave them any 'blessing' to continue as STRATOVARIUS. As I have said many times, I think it is wrong and I would never have continued STRATOVARIUS without Timo Kotipelto, Jörg Michael or Jens Johansson. What Johansson calls a 'blessing' was that I gave them the rights to the name I owned and the rights to something like 14 STRATOVARIUS albums. But not as a gift, but as to cut all the ties to them because I was told then that they will continue as STRATOVARIUS which I though was totally wrong towards the fans and of course to me.

"They write that they continue the legacy of STRATOVARIUS, but it cannot be continued. Even I cannot really continue it because it existed only when we were together. It's a shame to see that they cannot start from the clean table like me, but are just using the name. Without that name, they know that they would have it much harder. They took a long time in deciding if they will use the name or not and some of them were totally against using that name. Now that has apparently changed. It is timed very well also to the release of the website of my new band REVOLUTION RENAISSANCE.

"It is a sad day for me, because I believe that STRATOVARIUS as a band died to the publicity stunt the whole band, management and record company organized in 2004 when nothing that was happening was true. After that nothing was the same and the truth could not be told before I told it some days ago in an interview with Ontrackmagazine.com.

"Finally to sum it up: I do not think that the band that now calls itself 'STRATOVARIUS' is the band that its fans came to know as 'STRATOVARIUS.' I think it is a sad way to make a financial use of the name and shows lack of courage to stand on their own feet and music and instead going on as a new band with a new name that I believe would have been the right way.

"STRATOVARIUS is dead. Long live STRATOVARIUS!"

Uh, Timo, when you sign away your rights, it means that you no longer get to be a big baby. If you didn't want them to use the name, then DON'T SIGN THE WAIVER!

-Metal

I posted about this too, but it's hidden in a different thread. I hope now that the announcement has been made and TT has had his chance to complain about it, the focus will return to the music and all the sniping will end. Is that beyond the realm of possibility?

What did he think was going to happen?
Many bands with better guitarists than him have carried on.
Why not them?

Of course part of the reason they will use the name is due to the legacy behind it. They would be stupid not to!

Also, don't you think Stratovarius will be mentioned in EVERY press release relating to Revolution Ren.? Same reason, it would be stupid not to, as part of marketing the new product.

His points are all valid, but not in this capitalistic world.

Tolkki can shut the fuck up and go to Hell.

He coulda been classy like Olaf Thorsen leaving Labyrinth even though he was the founding and last remaining original member of Labyrinth.

If Tolkki is/was so fuckin important to the power metal community and his name is so make-or-break for Stratovarius' existence, then he shouldn't worry about leaving them behind. If Tolkki was such a damn important guitarist, he'd get his Revelation Reconaissance, or Religion Reverberance, or whatever the Sam Hell his new band's name is, to be bigger and more successful than Strato's legacy.

But he CAN'T. And he WON'T.

Good luck Kotipelto and gang, I wish you tons of luck to find a good guitarist, write balls-out killer speed power metal with incredible songwriting, and blow Tolkki's ass to the Arctic Circle and leave him there.

what a loser!! You signed over the rights to the name! Seriously, what did he think they were going to do with the band name???

TIMO said:
I gave them the rights to the name I owned and the rights to something like 14 STRATOVARIUS albums. But not as a gift, but as to cut all the ties to them because I was told then that they will continue as STRATOVARIUS

Then.Don't.Sign.The.Waiver. DUH! He could have fought this, instead he gave up and whined about it.

This guy is so clueless.

-Metal

TT is an idiot, saying Stratovarius is dead, but the RR cd was demoed first with Strato members, so why didn't he do all new material if he was starting a new band instead of using material written for the members of Strato. The Stratovarius now is the Stratovarius I have always known and will always know, just with a better guitarist breathing some new life into the music, plus TT was the only member that didn't stand out to me, he is good, but I always listened more to Jorg, Jens, Jari, and of course Kotipelto. To me, Strato without Kotipelto would be a Strato the fans don't want or know. Also, from what I understand, didn't the Strato name entail some debt with it, so how can them using the name be a financial use right now. Also, if Kotipelto is singing on something, whether it be named Stratovarius or Shitstorm, fuckhead, dick alley, or anything, I would still most likely buy it, then throw in Jorg and Jens, sold. TT is just scared that Strato is just going to be better off without him and that they will go to the next level and do something better than they have since visions and episode.

To me, Strato without Kotipelto would be a Strato the fans don't want or know.

Also, if Kotipelto is singing on something ... I would still most likely buy it,

TT is just scared that Strato is just going to be better off without him and that they will go to the next level and do something better

Couldn't agree more! Stratovarius' appeal to me has always been Kotipelto's voice. Wherever he goes, that will be what I listen to. Call it Stratovarius, call it whatever. Just because one members moves on, doesn't mean the other 3 should have to give up what they worked hard for too. Especially if the rights were given over.

Man...

Here's my two cents...

I think Timo Tolkki should be concerned in writing an album that's not generic and boring like the Revolution Renaissance album. I'm actually excited to hear that the band members (the actual band) will have some input in the next record. The first one sounds good with Gus on vocals and such, but the songwriting is still boring for the most part.

I wish the best of luck for both sides. I hope they do like what Angra did. The band split up, one side became a new awesome band and the other side kept on writing awesome music. Worked great for both sides. Maybe this will be the case with Strato/RR if Timo decides to write a better album next time. I'm sure he could do it, and I'm sure the rest of Strato could as well. Timo Tolkki should have never said "Keep the name" to the other guys if in his heart, he really thought Stratovarius was over.

This guy is officially off his fucking rocker. I mean, this dude is really not experiencing reality for the past 2 years now. I hope he gets well and I hope he does well with his music. I also hope he gets those meds worked out because no coherent person is going to view things the way he is right now.