TOP 10 DRUMMERS

To the Gentleman of the Snow;

I try to learn everything with my feet using double strokes and singles, and doing those patterns using singles because it alternates your leading foot makes things harder, and therefore learning to do it in such a way makes you more skilled :).

The benefits of using singles over doubles is that they generally sound more solid, whereas doubles tend to have a more relaxed sound. At the end of the day, your chosen application of either technique would depending on two things: The musical context, and how much you actually care ;).

I was working on transcribing the syncopated drum parts for EoM a few months back (I posted a topic asking if anyone knew exactly how Rullo does that obscure fill in the intro) but I got lazy and I haven't looked at it since.

To the Gentleman of the Snow;

I try to learn everything with my feet using double strokes and singles, and doing those patterns using singles because it alternates your leading foot makes things harder, and therefore learning to do it in such a way makes you more skilled :).

The benefits of using singles over doubles is that they generally sound more solid, whereas doubles tend to have a more relaxed sound. At the end of the day, your chosen application of either technique would depending on two things: The musical context, and how much you actually care ;).

I was working on transcribing the syncopated drum parts for EoM a few months back (I posted a topic asking if anyone knew exactly how Rullo does that obscure fill in the intro) but I got lazy and I haven't looked at it since.

It's definitely harder the way you've described it... that's the reason why I don't play it like that, haha. For practise, it's great to learn both ways, and just keep expanding on the ideas and trying as many different things as possible. When it comes to performing a song, I try to take the easiest route. I can almost get my double-strokes to sound as loud as the single-strokes, but yeah, there's definitely some difference in there. I use the single pedal (double-strokes) for all the Portnoy-type fills... I actually find it way easier for me.
Oh, and progpilgrim, they've GOTTA release a DVD soon :p. I'm pretty sure they'll release one from their PL tour :headbang: ... if not, soon afterwards! They're getting a bigger following now, so it's quite possible!

Doing things the easy way is definitely the way to go when playing to a song :).

But it's always very good to practise the hard things. That way one day they'll become the easy things anyway so you won't care ;).

I'm trying to train up my doubles so they're really solid, so I work on the Portnoy fills in the same way.

I started out with only a single pedal, so I got used to doing the double hits with the single pedal. I'm glad now, looking back, because I may not have been as good at the single pedal if I had started out with the double pedal.

I have been working on learning some of Symphony X songs with drums and I'll have admit that they're harder than I first thought. It's really difficult to get the right feel into it. I guess I'll have to just practice harder.

About favourite drummers... Well I do like Jason Rullo, Dave Weckl and even Mike Portney.
Anyone know Kai Hahto? (Rotten sound, Wintersun) That guy really, really fast and actually is originally kind of Jazz drummer if I remember right.

i forgot about hahto. he's good, but in my opinion, he wouldn't be on my top ten list (but look at what you have to contend with to be on anyones top 10).

also, has anyone mentioned bobby jarzombek yet? i think he's quite awesome.

Reactions: progmetaldan
Mackintosh is a great drummer, no doubt. But if I'm not mistaken Jonny wrote and performed the drums in studio, and Mackintosh played them live before he went to Dragonforce, right ?

I don't think so, but I'm not sure. I think that Mackintosh played on their last three albums. I know that Maudling played on the first three.

Heres my list.

1. Jon Boham
2. Bill Bruford
3. Jason Rullo
4. Mike Portnoy
5. Jonny Maudling/ Dave Mackintosh
6. Hellhammer
7. Tyrm
8. Frost
9. Henrik Ohlsson
10. Asgeir Mickelson

I have been working on learning some of Symphony X songs with drums and I'll have admit that they're harder than I first thought. It's really difficult to get the right feel into it. I guess I'll have to just practice harder.

Yep! Jason Rullo's material is quite challenging... usually more-so than you'd expect! Sometimes I'll be listening to a song and be thinking to myself... "yep... I should be able to do that"... get onto the kit, and not even come close. Then there are songs like Death of Balance... obviously extremely difficult to play... especially doing all that he does, while keeping it on time (Live, it's done even faster)
Oh, and try to play Rediscovery II the whole way through... that song is nearly impossible!

Heh, I've had a go at the live version and studio version of Death of Balance.

They're both difficult in different ways! The studio version, being slightly slower, requires a bit more control and less 'flow', it's harder to feel the timing!

The live version, being faster, tends to flow more naturally but then you have to be able to keep up with what he's doing and you gotta think quicker!

I'll have to have a go at Rediscovery II, it's stuck in my head at the moment so I might have another listen and see.

i forgot about hahto. he's good, but in my opinion, he wouldn't be on my top ten list (but look at what you have to contend with to be on anyones top 10).

also, has anyone mentioned bobby jarzombek yet? i think he's quite awesome.

Aye, he's on my top 10 list. He is definitely one of the very best.
He has an instructional dvd out too.. it's pretty good.

he's awesome in spastic ink...i love aquanet, and i've gained so many extra drum "tools" to put in my chest of tricks just from watching and listening to jarzo play.

For what it's worth, I think Portnoy should be included among the likes of Donati and Bozzio, cos he's done so much work outside of DT, (his work in LTE is unbelievable) and Danny Carey should not. Cos Tool are Nu-metal and I don't like them... (*pout*) :lol:

carey is so much better than portnoy compare the drumming on schism to the drumming on any DT song, and nu metal? id say more dark prog rock, or art metal or something, got a lot of quite clear king crimson influences, a lot more prog than any nu metal band ive ever heard

Well, I dont know what your moreless going for, top 10 drummers overall, or top 10 METAL drummers, so I'll do 1 of each, as their both VERY different.

This list is in order.
1. Buddy Rich - The Pioneer of the evolution of drums, without BR, there is NO Peart.
2. Vinnie Colaiuta - Zappa's best drummer, AMAZING soloist and player
3. Steve Gadd - His last name is all the explanation needed.
4. Dave Weckl - One of the best soloists on the planet, amazing touch.
5. Billy Cobham - Work in Mahavishnu set the bar for all future generations
6. Dennis Chambers - Took Cobham to the next level
7. Gavin Harrison - Amazing feel, chops, and approach
8. Jeff Porcaro - Seemed to be every musicians favorite drummer inthe 80's. Rosanna shuffle still blows minds.
9. Tony Williams - Great Innovator of Jazz
10. Kenny Aronoff - ..

This list is not in order after 1 and 2.
Top 10 Rock/Metal Drummers
1. Virgil Donati - THE MAN.
2. Gavin Harrison - Doesn't get the exposure he deserves, Subtlety is his strong point.
3. John Macaluso - Very underrated player
4. Mike Mangini - Monster player/soloist
5. Martin Lopez - Has FEEL that 99% of metal drummers LACK.
6. Jason Rullo - Great player, smokes Portnoy through and through.
7. Mike Terrana - Solid player, solid soloist
8. Bernard? - Original Dreamscape drummer, sick.
9. Gene Hoglan - Great player, powerful.
10. Acquilles Priester - Great with a band, TERRIBLE soloist.

Honorable Mention - Van Williams, Johan from Threshold.

Mike Portnoy - Sucks. He has the same 5 fills, lacks creativity, and is one of the most uninspired, boring soloists I've EVER heard, and I've seen a bunch of his solos. His parts in DT sometimes fit, mostly over the top looking for attention. Very predictable, and his playing is so lacking creativity, I've been able to pick out side projects he's played on by listening to him play, as his RANGE is almost non-existant.

Flo Mounier - Can play single strokes fast. Thats about it.

Does anyone else here think that Tom Walling that filled in on Twilight in Olympus sounds more like Portnoy than Rullo does. I am not a drummer, so I can't really judge any of their playing abilities, but I just thought he sounded a lot like Portnoy with his fills.

3. John Macaluso - Very underrated player

Mike Portnoy - Sucks. I've been able to pick out side projects he's played on by listening to him play, as his RANGE is almost non-existant.

This proves nothing. Anyone who enjoys music from an instrument standpoint should be able to identify their favorite musicians. Reinventing/changing one's style or sound is fine, but I don't see a problem with sticking with what has made you successful all these years.
Being able to pick out ANY musician based on sound, tone, style, etc., means they have established something recognizable.

Oh, and agreed on the John Macaluso point. Extremely funny to watch play, as well.