Who's your favorite drummer?

Trey Parker said:
funny because there is absolutely NO element of metallica from any era on DEI

are you kidding? Listen to the vocals and guitar work. If you don't hear pre-Black Album metallica, you must be deaf. Or astoundingly homosexual.

my favorites, in no particular order:

Dave Lombardo, Chris Adler, Vinnie Paul, Gene Hoglan, Brann Dailor, Paul Bostoph, Martin Lopez, Danny Carey, Pete Sandoval, Thomas Haake, Dave Mcclain, Joey Jordison, Proscriptor, Andy Ward

haggard said:
are you kidding? Listen to the vocals and guitar work. If you don't hear pre-Black Album metallica, you must be deaf. Or astoundingly homosexual.

apparently my lover and i are both deaf then..because to say you hear metallica on ANY meshuggah album is...silly to me.

Décadent said:
Dave Haley of Psycroptic.

phew i thought dave wasnt gunna get a mention. he is the ducks nuts.
martin lopez, any soilwork drummer (soilwork's drums fucking rule), dunno his name but the drummer from decrepit birth is amazing, and whoever said virgil donati is annoying needs to die in the arse: he's fuckin awesome. symphony x drummer! dunno his name either but he is completely awesome. Amon amarth drummer. Mike fucking Portnoy! vinnie paul.
so just to repeat myself this is my list:
dave haley
martin lopez
soilwork
decrepit birth
virgil
symphony x
amon amarth
mike portnoy
vinnie paul

Chris Pennie - Dillinger Escape Plan
Thomas Haake _ Meshuggah
Brann Dailor _ Mastodon
Virgil Donati- Serious Young Insects
Dennis Chambers _ Cab and Niacin
Dave Weckl
Vinnie Caulitta(sp)- Zappa
Terry Ted Bozzio _ Zappa
Turlok Gurtu(sp)
Early Ian Paice and John Bohnam

The only one I know is Martín López.. :'(

Oh and the korn guy... but korn.. haha

Nah, I wont laugh I strongly think he has quite a big potencial, but as you said before I do believe that he should be doing more in other band too.
But Tree Cool is amazing. I have to say better than him though.

NeverIsForever said:
@Luz: Yeah...laugh if you want but I think he has talent. But I also think he could (and should) be doing more with it than playing radio-friendly pop-punk...

Luz said:
Isn't the guy who plays in Blink 182?
As Jon said before, I hardly prefer Tree Cool too.
ahh, i feel bad starting off the thread making fun of someone i dont even know. i just REALLY can't stand watching him play drums. he's more like a clown than a musician. for that matter, i loathe watching any drummer who exists solely to keep the shitty guitarist in 4/4. ive seen alot of these recently while watching late night tv. virtually every single band on Conan or Leno or whatever, is really really bad. Kings of Leon recently sold out a place here in like 30 seconds, so I catch them on tv and my reaction is "what the fuck?!" absolutely terrible.

Brann Dailor (Mastodon) has the best fills and feel for the music. John Longstreth (Origin) for speed and brutality. Haake for precision. Horgh, Richard Christy, and Trym are very good balanced drummers.

To throw in a completely non-metal one for you (that some of you will be familiar with the odd song without realising...):

Robert Heaton (RIP) of New Model Army.

Some of you may know some NMA songs from covers done by Sepultura, Skyclad or Anacrusis.

The following extract is taken from a tribute written by a former band member just after Rob's funeral last year (full text available at www.newmodelarmy.org):

"As a drummer he was a powerhouse, pounding his kit with remarkable strength, but always with dexterity. Robert never subscribed to what he referred to as the 'idiot school of drumming', which explained his innovative style and incredible feel for mood and dynamics. He was metronomically precise, astonishing seasoned producer Glyn Johns with this ability. Glyn asked Robert to double track a small section of ride cymbal on All of This, during the recording of Ghost of Cain. Glyn was looking to produce a slight flam effect, but Robert struck the bell of the ride with such precision every time that the double track was undetectable. Glyn was convinced that either Robert wasn't playing it, or the machine wasn't recording it, because the two tracks were so perfectly synchronised. Having checked the tape, Glyn concluded that Robert was the most perfect drummer he'd ever worked with."

I guess most of you are familiar with The Hunt from Sepultura's Chaos AD...?

Skyclad covered Master Race from the same NMA album and Anacrusis covered "I Love The World" from a later album.

Martin Axenrot
Flo Mounier
Gene Hoglan
Martin Lopez
Neil Peart
Hannes Grossmann (Necrophagist)
Mike Gaspar (Moonspell)
John Bonham (to this day, the thickest sounding drums ever)