Top vocalists, just your opinions

Many good vocalists have been mentioned. I like singers who have some character, personality and expressiveness in their voice (like Russel). My contribution to this thread is Warrel Dane of Nevermore.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT_oPFNJwEM&a=tizO_MmLu2A&playnext_from=ML[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
please post his most astounding vocal track, cause I dont get it... hopefull its not 18 and life

It's a power ballad, but if you can't recognize singing ability in this song you must be deaf

I must be deaf but he´s out of tune at times. Listen especially to all those embellishments he´s doing...

But none the less: he´s made his footprint in the history of rock.

I didnt say he couldnt sing only that I didnt think he was the standout of the period, which was full of those high voiced guys. Myself I wasnt crazy about his tone but at least he was better than Mike Tramp (yikes)

This here was the standout, Micheal Matijevic, sorry for the little blues number but its fun and live so its extended but worth sitting through IMO

heres some studio work, which he didnt do so well live from what I found
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78FtqGogdoM&feature=fvw[/ame]

and everyone should be fimiliar with the vocally killer power ballades "Shes Gone" and "I'll Never Let You Go" if not there is good live versions of them. I dont think anybody ever touched this guy at his game which was deadly high notes. Even young Tate, Halford and Plant... Ann Wilson maybe ? I doubt his voice held up... geeze

OK OK OK, I didn't expect profanity and anger and crap in the responses, just truly wanted someone to point me to other bands with great vocalists that I can give a try. My dislike of what I've heard of Fates Warning probably stems from the fact that so far I've only heard one CD, and I threw it away early on as fast as I could, so the name of it is forgotten. Could have been a different vocalist that you guys DON'T worship. So that "F*** you buddy" was not deserved. And who calls a female "buddy?" Really? And can't anyone have an opinion around here without getting blasted? Sheesh. For those of you who took my question for how it was meant, and didn't get ugly, thanks for the suggestions. Most of these guys I never heard of. As I said, I'm pretty limited in my experience with different metal bands so far. This is why I asked for suggestions. Next time I'll keep my opinions to myself I guess.

If it makes you feel better, I'm sure Postulate is now embarassed for the "Fuck you buddy" and most likely did not read your name properly:lol:

And as everybody's been posting examples but there's no Dev yet, I'll put one of his:

And thought I might put this here tho it's not metal or even rock music... Just recently found out what a cool recording Scott Walker's Scott4 is... And he's surely a unique vocalist.

Hardly!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBm1YKCY_Yc&feature=related[/ame]

(Ok the stuff with Vai is pretty cool too)

Micheal Matijevi

What I hate about this guy is he sounds like ass live. Not only that on the first Steel Heart record he sang the highest note he could sing as the last note of one of the tracks and it wasnt even in key.

When asked about it he simply said "Lets see someone else hit that note"

The guys is a dick. Ill give him credit for kicking ass on the Rockstar soundtrack though

Yeah he was a screamer but still "in the day" it was very astounding to hear what he could do and those two ballades just poored the passion out. He really did one up all those commercial metal guys. I dont think that was a "great" album but I had plenty of hours into listening to it back then. That high voice was all the rage and they all had it but he could really wail out some notes. I went through a bunch of those live youtube vids and thought he sounded pretty good live by comparision to many, thats pretty demanding singing those parts. Eventually I found it annoying and today in commercial music I prefer a voice like Chris Cornell, thicker and richer I guess. Or heavy metal voices like Allen, Barlow and Stevens, still anybody that can make you recheck the credits to see who all is singing lead vocals like Allen does I find simply incredible. "no, that cant be the same guy"

It took me some getting used to but I will always feel Jon Oliva gave an awesome overall vocal performance on Gutter Ballet, he showed many sides of his voice, he could be like nails on a chalk board but he did it so well and could settle right down with great expression too. Plus I love the madman side.

Speaking of which... Joe Cocker, damn would he have made one hell of a metal vocalist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Postulate, you posted some great tunes, others did as well.

Russell Allen of "Symphony X"
Layne Staley of "Alice in Chains"

If they they a child ... his name would be God.

My two favorite vocalists of all time...

Both bring power and passion to the mic.

Nah, seriously, check out Arno Menses. He sang on Sieges Even's final two albums: The Art of Navigating by the Stars and Paramount, and he has a lot of melody and variety. World-class vocalist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tDs_bewCok

A too bad that you do not mention the fact that Arno and Markus Steffens have a new band called Subsignal. Some of Arno's best performances are on their debut "Beautiful and Monstrous".

http://www.myspace.com/subsignalband

But my all time favorite vocalist is Steve Walsh. Btw he is the favorite vocalist of Arno Menses as well. ;)

@Hawk: Subsignal is alright but it's just not up to Sieges Even's standards without the Holzwarth brothers IMO. It would be like comparing OSI to Fates Warning or Deadsoul Tribe to Psychotic Waltz. A shadow of the highest quality, but a shadow nonetheless.

And yes Steve Walsh is a fucking great vocalist, even today now that his voice is all wonky.