Top vocalists, just your opinions

@Hawk: Subsignal is alright but it's just not up to Sieges Even's standards without the Holzwarth brothers IMO. It would be like comparing OSI to Fates Warning or Deadsoul Tribe to Psychotic Waltz. A shadow of the highest quality, but a shadow nonetheless.

IMHO you are dead wrong. But I try to never argue about music, let alone my favorite music. I just thought it was a shame that you did not mentioned Subsignal, a band just as good IMHO as Sieges Even.

Anyway that omission has now been corrected.

Walsh was good and I liked hearing him in Russel Allen, but like Steve Perry he was a bit too clean and soft for me. Still a huge Kansas fan and Id say most important was how Walsh and Stienhardt sang together.

Nah, SubSignal is no Sieges Even; no way. But they are still one of the too few great prog metal bands out there and I'm glad we have them.

As I've already mentioned, Steve Walsh is unbelievable. Steve Perry has sure got his moments but I also want to mention Lou Gramm.

IMHO you are dead wrong. But I try to never argue about music, let alone my favorite music. I just thought it was a shame that you did not mentioned Subsignal, a band just as good IMHO as Sieges Even.

Anyway that omission has now been corrected.

I agree with you Hawk, I didnt think it was possible to replicate Sieges Even but Subsignal is as good!!:worship:

A couple of my favourites:

Labrie is actually quite good in Dream theater's early work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Russel Allen and
Tommy Karevik

Tommy is the singer of Seventh Wonder, for me the best band in the world right now.
Tommy has a stunning, powerfull voice in wich he can lay a lot of emotions as well.
The band also makes great effort in the background vocals. All the melodies/vocalparts on the last two Seventh Wonder albums are simply amazing - of course, the whole band is just plain awesome but we are discussing singers here.

Russel Allen and
Tommy Karevik

Tommy is the singer of Seventh Wonder, for me the best band in the world right now.
Tommy has a stunning, powerfull voice in wich he can lay a lot of emotions as well.
The band also makes great effort in the background vocals. All the melodies/vocalparts on the last two Seventh Wonder albums are simply amazing - of course, the whole band is just plain awesome but we are discussing singers here.

I love Seventh Wonder, particularly the vocals and the bass (the bass solo in Taint the Sky is freaking amazing). Tommy is an excellent singer; second to Russ in my book for this style of music. I give Symphony X the edge, though, because sometimes SW's music gets a bit too Dream Theatery for me.

Kiske FTW!

But seriously, am I the only one that thinks that albums like Avantasia could get it much better?
With those vocalists they could do so much better(I`m not saying that the albums are, they have great songs but alot of the potencial for epic songs is lost).
The first Avantasias actually look like alot of songs were "pasted" together, I`m not saying they`re bad, of course.

Dammit, I sound like I`m ranting about this...

Allen gets so little time in the new Avantasias... :(

Kiske, Allen, Jorn, Urban Breed, Hansi Kürsch and (in most old songs) Kai Hansen are my favourites.

@Hawk: Subsignal is alright but it's just not up to Sieges Even's standards without the Holzwarth brothers IMO. It would be like comparing OSI to Fates Warning or Deadsoul Tribe to Psychotic Waltz. A shadow of the highest quality, but a shadow nonetheless.
That's all so true. Subsignal without the rhythmic edge and force the Holzwarth brothers always brought to Sieges Even is just slick Prog metal with pop overtones.

Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin)
Russel Allen (Symphony X)
David Gilmour (Pink Floyd)
Matt Smith (Theocracy)

I liked that Seventh Wonder song. I'll have to check them out.

Good idea; check them out and get the album - 'Mercy Falls' - of which this song came from.
To me, Seventh Wonder is THE best band in the world right now. Their last two albums are masterpieces. I consider 'Mercy Falls' to be the best album ever made (so you can understand why I think so highly of these guys).

By the way, they are currently in the studio recording their 4th album......be prepared for another classic in september/october.

(If you have the time; some feedback of your thoughts would be nice. I'm curious what you think of 'Mercy Falls')

I love Seventh Wonder; Mercy Falls and Waiting in the Wings have been two of my favorite albums for a while now. Tommy is one hell of a vocalist, and I love how their bass player Andreas plays completely outside of the box. Most bassists just double the rhythm guitar an octave lower, but not this guy! The bass solo in Taint the Sky is probably my favorite bass solo ever. But this thread is about singers, and Tommy can wail. He's second only to Russ in my book.