Van Halen - A Different Kind Of Truth?

I'm about 50/50 on the album. Some of it is absolutely awesome and some sounds really uninspired. I do think this is better than the new Chickenfoot, which was a big disappointment for me...

the new Chickenfoot is completely ZZZZZzzzzzzzz

Erm...
this is the one we need to hear

China Town.....
this is 100% kick ass Van Halen the way i knew and loved them

Last edited by a moderator:
Erm...
this is the one we need to hear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPk3FaHyHs4
China Town.....
this is 100% kick ass Van Halen the way i knew and loved them

You know, most of these songs posted in this thread I have liked quite a bit. I really didn't like Tattoo though, so it makes me wonder why the hell they picked that song. I guess maybe it has some mainstream appeal, but to me it sounded boring as hell.

I was really surprised by this cd.....my "VH is DONE, stick a fork in em'" attitude has been easily proved wrong with this release. Growing up in the late 70's & early 80's, I used to count the days to a new VH release. This cd brings me back to that time....and I agree, "Chinatown" rocks, and I can't stand "Tattoo"

I heard the whole thing on Spotify last night...way, way better than I was expecting. "Tattoo" is still weak...not a lead track at all...but I was pleasantly surprised by it...I was expecting to not like it at all.

from http://www.bravewords.com/news/177610 :

"Yesterday (Tuesday, February 7th), the release date for VAN HALEN’s new album, A Different Kind Of Truth, a new special called The Whole Truth: The Howard Stern/Van Halen - which is essentially a five-hour uncensored history of Van Halen - aired on The Howard Stern Show…the good, the bad and the ugly. They pulled a variety of appearances from the different band members over the years to really get a sense of the up and down history of the group and the back and forth bickering. It’s an amazing oral history as told through the band members themselves. Funny, interesting and of course entertaining. Every past or present band member is in there except Eddie's son/bassist Wolfgang Van Halen

You will not hear any of the band’s new music on this. It’s entirely for Van Halen fans who like Stern and want to relive the band’s past drama, for some reason."

Last edited by a moderator:
This cd is in heavy rotation for me right now. I wanted to like it, but was very doubtful. Especially after the clips of them live in the club, and from their last tour. I was pretty much decided they were done.

They have won me over.

I'm back in 1984 and damn happy about it. Color me impressed. And I REALLY hate to say this, because I thought Michael Anthony was an integral part of VH.....but I don't miss him here at all. I'm a bit shocked at that, frankly. Luckily I think both of the Chickenfoot cd's kick butt too, so its win-win for me.

Oh...and as much as I wasn't impressed with Tattoo either....it has STUCK in my head. (As does Stay Frosty....but I loved the Diver Down/WACF stuff they did, and this fits RIGHT spot in there!)

I heard the whole thing on Spotify last night...way, way better than I was expecting. "Tattoo" is still weak...not a lead track at all...but I was pleasantly surprised by it...I was expecting to not like it at all.

I was prepared to not like this based on the "Tattoo" song,,,but DAMNIT overall this album kicks ass. There are some lesser songs, but overall I am VERY surprised by this album. Listened to it 3 times at work today.