VANDEN PLAS: Chronicles Of The Immortals – Netherworld II

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
VANDEN PLAS TO RELEASE CHRONICLES OF THE IMMORTALS – NETHERWORLD II IN NOVEMBER; VIDEO TRAILER STREAMING

The release of the second chapter of Vanden Plas' rock opera, Chronicles Of The Immortals – Netherworld II is scheduled for November 6th.

vandenplasalbumsept.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I really had a love for this band once. But much like Evergrey, their new stuff is not bad. They just forgot how to write a catchy song like the did in their glory years.

I will give this one a chance, but the last couple albums tend to fade into the background when I listen to them

I will give this one a chance, but the last couple albums tend to fade into the background when I listen to them

Try Seraphic Clockwork again..... I felt a bit the same way, but when I broke it out again earlier this year it absolutely LEAPED out at me....

I too am slightly disappointed in the last album, but I think when taken with this one as a complete whole it may register better as a single piece.

Hopefully the second part is better than the first. Part I was not up to par with their previous work IMO.

It's funny to read peoples opinions on certain bands material. I lost interest in this band a few discs back and "Chronicles pt1" brought me back to the fold. I thought it was a great return to form by VandenPlas and I am so looking forward to the new disc!
Seeing other comments about how it was not up to par with past stuff just makes me SMH, but to each their own.

It's funny to read peoples opinions on certain bands material. I lost interest in this band a few discs back and "Chronicles pt1" brought me back to the fold. I thought it was a great return to form by VandenPlas and I am so looking forward to the new disc!
Seeing other comments about how it was not up to par with past stuff just makes me SMH, but to each their own.

That's the beauty of Vanden Plas..... Everyone seems to have a different opinion on their "best" album..... For me, "Colour Temple" remains my favorite, but "Christ-0" is I think more objectively their peak. Regardless, a "weak" album from VP is better than 95% of the other discs I hear during the same year. They are phenominally good, and disappointment is only measured against their own stellar output. I would be drop dead STUNNED if they released an album that I flat out didn't like.

The God Thing is my favorite. Got it the year it came out (1997). Best thing since DT, I thought at the time. Still love 'em even their last few discs sound all the same to me. Their sound matured years ago, just like Kamelot.

I think Vanden Plas got better and better with each release with the exception of Seraphic Clockwork. I thought Christ 0 was slightly better. In fact, I think "Silently" might be the greatest metal song ever written, so obviously I am a fanboy. Having said that, though it took a while to "get," Netherworld Part I is their masterpiece in my ear. This new one seems more "immediate" though.
I find Vanden Plas incredible in a way few others are....... Vanden Plas has a signature sound. They ALWAYS sound like Vanden Plas, yet EVERY song is also unique and doesn't sound like any other. We all have our favorite bands and my taste isn't necessarily any better than anyone else's, but I personally feel like Vanden Plas is in a class by themselves when it comes to progressive metal. It isn't necessarily that they are "better" than band "x" but rather that they arrive at their "progness" in a different way than others. As opposed to odd time signatures and uncommon chord/note patterns, Vanden Plas almost has a "traditional metal" style with guitar progressions, but their use of "movements" much like classical music and bringing in choirs and a small orchestra etc....... they sort of OWN their own market in my ears.

Well said, Bryant. You nailed it. I'm a fanboy myself, but I have to say that the last few have not gotten the same repeat listens as The God Thing and Far Off Grace and Beyond Daylight, but I credit that more to changing life and listening habits. It's not as if I don't enjoy the last three, they just haven't become ingrained in my consciousness like the others.

Sir Exar Kun also described them well, and I'm in solid agreement.

I sure hope they come up on the screen next Friday!

Part 1 was a disappointment for me, but the three clips above sound pretty strong .. especially the 1st track. VP's a great band ... hopefully they knock this one out of the park. My favorite from their catalog is Christ Zero ... that's their masterpiece in my opinion.

Britt

Beyond Daylight is my favorite by them. I actually love all of them with the exception of the last one. It's still good but is lacking that special something their previous works have. I agree with the poster who said that they forgot how to write a catchy tune. I didn't hear that on Chronicles Part I.

Vanden Plas can do no wrong in my book ...... one of the few bands I don't need to hear a note of before buying. This disc will be no exception.

I thought Chronicles I was amazing ..... I cannot wait for this one.

I agree with everyone's comments on the band as well ...... this band is only outdone by it's own standards.....it's about how great the next disc will be in terms of their own set bar......

One of the most consistent bands ever for me ..... my only bitch with them is that they haven't released any DVD, much less the PP show they were supposed to a few years back .......

And you already have it because..........???

I don't have it. I am judging by the teaser. However, it just hammered me from the start. Vanden Plas has been together with the same lineup for 30 years, but as opposed to slowing down, they seem to be ramping up. They usually take four years to make a release. This will be less than two years. Of course, that was pre-planned for this Chronicles project. I don't have a vocabulary of strong enough positive adjectives for Vanden Plas. As LarryD stated, they are only in competition with themselves.