VANDEN PLAS: Chronicles Of The Immortals – Netherworld II

I would love to see these guys return to form, as I think their earlier works were quite special. However, as I've found each of the last two records tedious, I'm not holding out a lot of hope the new one will be a return to form. Perhaps if they were starting from scratch I'd be more optimistic. However, as they're currently mired in the confines of an overblown concept, it seems unlikely they're going to right the ship.

It's hard not to liken Vanden Plas' Chronicles to Iced Earth's Something Wicked Part 1/2. Both concepts seem as if they stem from intellectual endeavor, rather than musical inspiration.

And the news just keeps getting better this week.....I was just wondering about this the other day & here it is !

I got on board late with Vanden Plas & have gradually worked my way backwards thru their catalog the past 5 years. Ironic that the FIRST album you hear from a band is the one that resonates with people the greatest (most of the time). For me, The Seraphic Clockwork is my favorite album & is stellar from beginning to end....that may be because having compared it to other albums, the guitar work is very in your face & I happen to love that aspect.
I would have to agree with several people here that Chronicles Pt 1 was a tedious listen (at first) but after many more listens I really like that album alot, just not quite as well as everything prior. Nonetheless, it still gets regular listens by my ears.

Well now, that was really, really good. (<understatement, for effect)

I sure hope they make the Wed./Thurs. roster somehow.

Can't wait to get my hands on this disc.

the guitar work is very in your face & I happen to love that aspect.
I would have to agree with several people here that Chronicles Pt 1 was a tedious listen (at first) but after many more listens I really like that album alot, just not quite as well as everything prior. Nonetheless, it still gets regular listens by my ears.

I think one of the biggest things that separates Vanden Plas from other prog metal bands is that they still sound like a metal band, and I stress METAL. Those crunchy guitar riffs are the backbone of Vanden Plas. Don't think you'll see a lot of mosh pits at a VP show, but they have the ability to bring their beauty and intricacies without sacrificing that power. Stephan doesn't get the accolades some guitarists in the sub-genre get because he isn't playing things that require fourteen fingers to play, but his riffs are the best in the business.

Vanden Plas are simply incapable of making a mistake. This song is incredible.

AOTY contender, easily.

That signature VP sound just makes almost all other bands sound inadequate to my ear. They have very little competition.

Well now, that was really, really good. (<understatement, for effect)

I sure hope they make the Wed./Thurs. roster somehow.

Can't wait to get my hands on this disc.

Ditto !! Was going to pre-order my disc, but am now hoping there may be some special edition or something to be had. Another PPUSA appearance would be a dream come true for me, obviously.

This band could make a kick-ass rap album !! Well... maybe not, but they are in a league of few and in a league of their own in my ear. It simply doesn't get better. Why aren't they millionaires ?

Well listen to the album right now and I think will disappoint a bunch of people. Too many sloooow songs, could have included some up-tempo ones but it's too late album is done. I'll wait for the next. :-(

Well listen to the album right now and I think will disappoint a bunch of people. Too many sloooow songs, could have included some up-tempo ones but it's too late album is done. I'll wait for the next. :-(

Dude... they have already released a longer trailer, a video and another audio only track. Vision XII Stone Roses Edge is chocked full of tasty heavy guitar riffs. It isn't slow at all. It sounds like........... Vanden Plas abd that is a VERY good thing.