Wednesday karaoke party band/song options

The Fiddler

Just Do It.
Nov 27, 2002
Heaven and Hell
For those of you have attended the karaoke event on Wednesday nights, just how "exotic" are the song options? Is it just mainstream metal, or are past PP bands like Kamelot, Jorn, Symphony X, etc., available to be "massacred" by us?

Anything and everything you can think of is available. The croud favorite seemed to be Queensryche, which nobody can sing very well but some have done a very cool job, but I think everyone there was singing. I have heard everything from Iron Maiden to Jimmy Buffett to Stratovarius. This is a huge time, don't miss it!!!!!

Anything and everything you can think of is available. The croud favorite seemed to be Queensryche, which nobody can sing very well but some have done a very cool job, but I think everyone there was singing. I have heard everything from Iron Maiden to Jimmy Buffett to Stratovarius. This is a huge time, don't miss it!!!!!

Did we attend the same karaoke? Anything and everything? I suppose in comparison to MOST karaoke song lists, this one was a notch above. However, if this is supposed to be "metal karaoke" then I would give it a C-. Yeah there are the crowd favorites, but aside from that, there's not too much you wouldn't expect. This is definitely something that could benefit from some serious improvement, especially if it continues to grow, which seems inevitable. Of course, even with the lacking song list, its a fucking hell of a time that I don't recommend missing!

Oh yeah, and I could do without 17 performances of Holy Diver. Thanks.

just how "exotic" are the song options?
You might get lucky and find the exact song you want to do but I think it's safe to say that unless you prepare your own track you're not going to be able to do that song. Umm... I seem to remember that there was no Rainbow song for instance. Not exactly the definition of "exotic", I know. What it is, though, is you'll be able to pick every metal track, (almost), that's readily available at any karaoke anywhere. So one can't really complain. I would think there would be a website with information... Maybe even a list? :)

NP: Join the Parade - Planet P Project

Unfortunately, if the same karaoke deejay is used as last year, you don't have the option of singing along with CDs you bring, just the usual generic metal karaoke tracks that virtually every karaoke deejay has.

I know a guy/company that has a great karaoke setup and will let you sing along to anything you bring (you haven't heard anything 'til you've heard a rippin' karaoke version of, say Cradle of Filth or Jorn Lande :) ), but unfortunately he charges more than the current deejay does. :(

Unfortunately, if the same karaoke deejay is used as last year, you don't have the option of singing along with CDs you bring, just the usual generic metal karaoke tracks that virtually every karaoke deejay has.

I know a guy/company that has a great karaoke setup and will let you sing along to anything you bring (you haven't heard anything 'til you've heard a rippin' karaoke version of, say Cradle of Filth or Jorn Lande :) ), but unfortunately he charges more than the current deejay does. :(

It's still something to be considered. I wouldn't mind paying $10 for intsance, rather than last year's $5 to get in and get this guy paid.

I'll tell you what though, last year's karaoke guy was rather funny. LOL

This was going to be the first year that I thought I was going to be able to make Wednesday's karaoke night. However, since Sonata will be playing at Jaxx that night (which is actually on my way to drive to Atlanta from Baltimore), I'll be missing karaoke yet again this year. :erk:
At least it's for a good cause. :headbang:
Hopefully I'll be able to catch karaoke next ProgPower ... and I would also be willing to pay a $10 entrance fee, as oppossed to $5 for a better selection of metal tunes.

It's still something to be considered. I wouldn't mind paying $10 for intsance, rather than last year's $5 to get in and get this guy paid.

I'll tell you what though, last year's karaoke guy was rather funny. LOL
No way! Last year's guy was soooo hot! HHBL :lol::lol::lol:
Can't resist, one more.

More photos of the entire event including a inspiring rendition of Margharitaville can be found HERE.
Quite a number of forum members pictured doing their thang, including AngraRules, Ynguie X, Kittybeast, General Zod, Urban and so on.

I really hope I can make it to the Karaoke night for my first ProgPower. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what my Fall schedule for my Grad classes will be like, so I may have to miss out.

But if not, I certainly look forward to attempting to sing along with whatever metal karaoke is available (and I hope I don't make anyone's ears bleed in the process! Appologies in advance!)

I looked through the books. There is no metal in there. You'll find a few iron maiden songs... a few classic american/british metal/rock songs.. and more pop songs than you'll ever want to read through.

I think the karaoke would be 100x better if we got the likes of BG, Sonata,.... amon amarth... into the line up. I vote: lets pay extra for a Karaoke Dude that brings in real metal!

Just how do they remove the vocals for a karaoke disc? Is it something one can do if they have the proper software to "disect" the songs, or do the recording studios go back to their original layered track recording and remove the vocal track(s)?

The only analogy I can think of to try to understand the process is that of a graphics program such as Photoshop where you can have a multitdue of semi-transparent layers for different graphic objects. To reduce file size and create a more accessible file format the file must be "flattened" to one layer making the individual layers unaccessible. Thus, always save the layered version when exporting a copy of the file in a flattened format. I'm guessing that the same happens with individual songs and each of their sound layers (tracks), but I really have no idea.

Fiddler, I've wondered about that myself. You can probably buy the popular songs from the industry strait, without vocals-- they'll sell you anything to make a buck :)

I have used plug-ins before, like for Sony (previously Sonic Foundry) Sound Forge that "silenced" out the vocals. Of course it was half assed, but if someone was singing over it, it wouldn't be bad at all, plus you could use the faint vocals to help you out :)

Just how do they remove the vocals for a karaoke disc? Is it something one can do if they have the proper software to "disect" the songs, or do the recording studios go back to their original layered track recording and remove the vocal track(s)?

The only analogy I can think of to try to understand the process is that of a graphics program such as Photoshop where you can have a multitdue of semi-transparent layers for different graphic objects. To reduce file size and create a more accessible file format the file must be "flattened" to one layer making the individual layers unaccessible. Thus, always save the layered version when exporting a copy of the file in a flattened format. I'm guessing that the same happens with individual songs and each of their sound layers (tracks), but I really have no idea.

Some karaoke discs are made by the process you mentioned, the studio masters are used and they remix them and just leave the vocal tracks out (or just keep the backing vocals or something). When this is not available, either a process like the one trentdk described is used, or a midi file of the basic melody of the tune or something similar is used just to guide you along.

It's Glenn's call, folks. He already pretty much ruled out the karaoke guy I know.

Start boning up on your Maiden. :heh:

I ruled him based on not wanting to pay out of my own pocket or charge everyone a higher cover charge. If you guys want to pay for it, then I would have no objections at all.

That said, last year's guy probably enjoyed that night more than he has in a long time based on the PBR and fun he was having up there singing along on a few of the old classics that he probably hasn't had a request for in forever.

I ruled him based on not wanting to pay out of my own pocket or charge everyone a higher cover charge. If you guys want to pay for it, then I would have no objections at all.

Are we talking a significantly higher cost for the guy Paul has in mind? I mean, what would the price increase average out to per person, hypothetically, with at least the same turnout as last year?

I can't speak for anyone buy myself, and perhaps those I live with, but I think it would be worth the upgrade.

Granted, I missed last year's karaoke, but the two guys who ran it for PPVI were awesome, and they did have a great selection of tunes – including QR (which I know made some folks very happy). On that note (no pun intended), I am going to TRY to make it for karaoke this year. I need to talk my crew into going down a day early. Will see.

-j