Weird Experience

mindcrime2358

New Metal Member
May 22, 2003
Port City, North Cacalak
The Wednesday after ProgPower III, me and my friend went to see Onward & Angra at a club called Ziggy's By The Sea. This was after seend Angra at ProgPower, with a pretty good amount of people there. Also, I've seen a video of Angra playing Rebirth in front of a HUGE crowd of people. Anyway, we got to the club, and there were all of 9 people there that night to see Angra. They we sitting down all night, talking to people. It was kind of cool, actually. It was like some sort of private show or something. The bands even handed the mike to the audience and let us sing for them. Any body else got some kind of story like this?

I heard the show in Cleveland there were only 20 people showed up...and myself went to the show in Aurora, I can tell you it was not much better neither.

But they were still awesome with small crowd, and like you said it was very nice of them to sitting in the bar and talked to everyone.

Before Symphony X "hit it big", they played a club in Brooklyn called L'Amours (which many of you have probably heard of). Anyway, they don't hit the stage until 12:30 and at 2:00 AM the encore starts...the entire Divine Wings of Tragedy, all 20 minutes in all it's glory. The crowd, all 16 of us...went nuts.......

And all three times I saw Virgin Steele here in NY there must have been no more than 100 people there...COMBINED!

Then there was Helloween in NYC back in '98. 400 people, including Jens Johannsen (Stratovarius) packed into a "club" the size of dormroom.

Fates Warning at Coney Island High about 5-7 years ago. Mark Zonder walks through the crowd of 7 1/2 and says, "Another packed house tonight." It was funny, but sad at the same time. It sickens me that all these talented musicians can't make a descent living due to the stupidity of most Americans who just accept what is force fed to them via the radio and MTV. All I can say is TIGHT!

Caught these two bands in Chicago at Medusa's, Dec '90. Maybe 40 people there. Funny thing is, Pantera was the OPENER. I knew something was up when, after the show, the dudes from Prong were loading their own gear into an old, rusty pickup truck complete with mounted camper, while the Pantera guys had the huge luxury tour bus and a whole crew of roadies. Six months later, Pantera were headlining their own tour, selling out consecutive nights in Minneapolis in a 1600 capacity venue, this after the 'Cowboys From Hell' video hit MTV. On a side note, White Zombie was the opener on that tour.... we know what happened with them a few months later.... Thunder(shit) '69. It's cool to see bands on the rise. Just caught In Flames here in Las Vegas a month ago, probably about 400 people. Two weeks later in Wacken, they played the big stage in front of 30,000+.

I saw Flotsam Jetsam here in Ft. Lauderdale for an audience of 40 people... It was so sad...

Savatage in Rio de Janeiro was kind funny as well... I mean, there was a pretty decent crowd (around 2000 people) but the place was huuuuuuuuuuuuge! a 15.000 capacity venue with 2 thousand inside looked awful...
I don't understand why the promoter chose that venue... Maybe he got a deal or something...

Hammerfall opening for Dio at the House of Blues in Anaheim,CA..the club was packed,but people were there to see King's X and Dio,Hammerfall was the opening band,they played only for 30 min.kind of dissapointing,but after that all the band was at the bar while king's X and Dio performed and they were just having some drinks,I got to talked to them for well over an Hour..Cool guys,and a good oportunity beign that they play huge shows in Europe and South America!

I saw Metallica in a small club outside Buffalo before Kill 'Em All was even released. They opened for headliners Motorhead and Raven. I had never even heard of them, but they stole the show. After their set, Lars and James came out and sat down with some of us fans and talked for quite a while. We thought it was so cool and even got their autographs thinking that some day these guys would be big!

The next year for the Ride The Lighting tour they came to the same club. They were obviously bigger by then, but a winter blizzard (remember, it was Buffalo!) kept the crowd down to less than 100 people! We were practically standing on the stage!

I didn't see them again until the mid 90's during their "Black album" tour, a sold out show in front of about 16,000 in Hartford. Good show, but nothing could top the first two times I saw them!