Wheezer's Grand Adventure -- Prog Power VI

Wheezer

Apr 18, 2005
Colorado
I had a fairly detailed report going but realized it was going to deteriorate into generalities before too long. So here's the generalities in somewhat chronological order:

JohnnyD -- my parntner in crime for most of the weekend -- you rock! :headbang: I had a kick ass time hanging out and discussing politics and religion too into the wee hours of the morning.

Narcosynthesis -- Had a great time with you and Kat last year and again this year. Always a pleasure.

KittyBeast and Pabla -- thanks for hosting the get-together Friday afternoon. We wouldn't have gotten to see the transvestite baton twirler if we hadn't walked down to your place.

SavaRon -- it was great to shoot the breeze with you and your wife on several occasions during the weekend. Lots of laughs.

Metalages -- somehow we never crossed paths. Sorry about that. Thanks for the goodies. That sampler disc looks like it will kick ass and get major play from me. :worship:

Bryant. Thanks for not showing me your ass. Fuck you for the noogie. Thanks for hauling us down to Abdullah the Butcher's BBQ joint. Thanks, in general, for being my metal brother.

The rest of the weekend in somewhat chronological order:

The pre-party on Thursday night was packed with talent. Outworld kicked things off and played a very nice set. DC Cooper played an acoustic set backed by a band that was thrown together in basically a half hour. They killed considering the amount of time they practiced together. Of course one of the guitarists was Tore Ostby. Orphaned Land's acoustic set was very good too. Those boys are quite talented and the different sound is refreshing. Johnny told me Dreamscape was really good. I went to the VIP lounge to socialize during their set.

Friday afternoon JohnnyD and I headed on down to Kittbeast and Pabla's place. It was about a mile and a half walk or so. That's when we met up with the transvestite baton twirler. He-she was an experience, to say the least. He-she prolly coulda kicked both our asses if we would have laughed once we realized that what we thought was a she was really a he. There are no pics from Kitty and Pabla's place because Pabla still had her jammies on and nixed any pictures before there was even any thought of taking any. :D

Manticora completely kicked ass. They were the hardest working band of the weekend by far. They played a pretty good cross-section of their material. I was fairly happy with the set. We met Lars, the lead vocalist, Saturday night sometime. He's a really nice guy with a good sense o humor. I told him he reminded me a bit of Biff Byford and he said, "Ok, that's it. I'm done with this conversation." and walked away. I figured I had pissed him off but he soon came back and explained that they had seen Saxon at one time and joked that Biff looked like John Cleese of Monty Python fame. The joke was on me.

Circus Maximus played their show fairly flawlessly. It was enjoyable but lacking any spontaneity that I go to live shows for. I was up in the seats and still got some decent pics because they were like statues. A little on the boring side but if you like youor live music to sound like it came right off the CD then these guys are for you.

I missed Orphaned Land because we were outside shooting the breeze with Symphorce. Andy told us about how he had introduced the rest of the band to Buffalo wings. Marcus and Cede were a bit worried about their show the next night and feeling a bit of pressure. We told them not to worry and just do what they do. That was a lot of fun talking to them.

Conception was absolutely incredible. It was obvious from the very beginning that they were having fun. Tore had a smile on his face from start to finish. Khan can't hit everything but his performance was fine. They played nearly everything I wanted to hear and covered their catalogue fairly well. The majority was from "Flow".

Angra started out really slow with an obcenely long orchestrated keyboard thingy. Once they did come out and actually start playing something, Edu was off and having problems. He got a couple of songs under his belt and seemed to be warmed up and then the vox went to hell again. They were severely lacking in a lot of things and it was pissing me off because I had really been looking forward to seeing them. I left after about 6 songs because I didn't want any more reasons to be pissed off.

Saturday morning I played phone tag trying to get a bunch of us together for a trip down to Abdullah the Butcher's BBQ joint. We finally got everything sorted out and made our way down there. Pretty good food and the atmosphere is great if you're an old school wrestling fan.

Stride started the show off Saturday night. They are obviously quite talented but just not really to my liking a whole lot. We left their show a bit early to get a smoke in and something to drink in preparation for Symphorce.

Symphorce absolutely slayed. Andy B. is the man when it comes to fronting a band. His opening line was something like "for the next forty five minutes your asses are ours." :lol: His line before the last song they played was, "One more song and then you can have your asses back." Overall my second favorite set of the weekend. I wish they would have had more time to play a few more songs.

Pink Cream 69 is a fun, straight-ahead rock band. They put on a good show but it didn't entirely click with me. I knew nearly every damn song they played and it still didn't help. Maybe I was getting a little worn out. They were solid and it sounded good.

I skipped Therion. I had planned on skipping Therion from the first two listens of a few of their discs. Sometimes blowing money on blind buys really sucks. They did win over a few fans from what I've seen and I probably should have taken in a few songs.

I caught a few of Stratovarious' tunes and just decided I'd had enough. I had planned on skipping them too but another friend had wanted to check them out so I went along with him. What can I say? They had a really long orchestrated intro too.

Kitty called me while I was at the Broncos game yesterday and wanted to know when I was planning on going to the airport. She was a little surprised when I told her I was already back and at the game. :D Silly Kitty. I'm as nuts about Broncos home games as I am about Prog Power.

I guess that's about it. I got my pictures up early this morning. Looks like this will be the last year I bother with pictures. Glenn has banned digital cameras from now on thanks to the bootleggers. Here's the pics:

http://www.pbase.com/wieser537/pp6&page=all

brent, thanks for the pics. those are great!!!! I will be posting a.s.ap. :hotjump: I can't wait to see all the pictures all those smiling faces and of course all the metaaaaaaaaaaal poses!!!

Dude, Kat and I had a wonderful weekend. I wish we had spent more time together but as you know, too many friends and too little time!!!

You are always a pleasure to hang with because of your straight ahead point of view...

Johnny was a treat also... What a pushover for a little puppy... I am thinking that it might have been the chick, but what do I know! Just messing dude!

Now for the long wait for the next fest. I am hoping that the Powerfest will have enough to entice you two to Chicago this coming year!

Oh yeah, Conception did rule!

Wheezer said:
Conception was absolutely incredible. It was obvious from the very beginning that they were having fun. Tore had a smile on his face from start to finish. Khan can't hit everything but his performance was fine. They played nearly everything I wanted to hear and covered their catalogue fairly well. The majority was from "Flow".
Now I'm jealous! :D :yell:

Narcosynthesys68 said:
Dude, Kat and I had a wonderful weekend. I wish we had spent more time together but as you know, too many friends and too little time!!!

You are always a pleasure to hang with because of your straight ahead point of view...

Johnny was a treat also... What a pushover for a little puppy... I am thinking that it might have been the chick, but what do I know! Just messing dude!

Now for the long wait for the next fest. I am hoping that the Powerfest will have enough to entice you two to Chicago this coming year!

Yeah, there always is too little time to see everyone enough. I'd definitely like to come to Chicago. I felt like I missed out last time around. I'd prolly even drive to that one.

Johnny with that puppy was great. I was actually jealous that he got to hold it. :D

Fangface said:
Now I'm jealous! :D :yell:

:D I'm hoping they had so much fun that they want it to continue. Then maybe we'll all get a new disc and tour to go with it. I made sure that I got that across to Tore when I talked to him. I know that others did too. Keep your fingers crossed.

kittybeast said:
brent, thanks for the pics. those are great!!!! I will be posting a.s.ap. :hotjump: I can't wait to see all the pictures all those smiling faces and of course all the metaaaaaaaaaaal poses!!!

Glad you liked the pics. I'm looking forward to seeing yours. I'm going to have to practice my posing for next year. ;)

well here is one...that is all I did yesterday, cut, crop, shade pictures...now to get them all posted!!! I took this one outside:

UMOS.jpg

L-R Kathy and Savaron, Bryant and Harumi, JonnyD, Mxgonzo and Weezer

We wouldn't have gotten to see the transvestite baton twirler if we hadn't walked down to your place.
Here is a picture of JonnyD as he's telling the story the the guys
dennjd.jpg

Great pics all, it's nice to put some faces on the people I didn't saw pics of yet !! Must have been a great weekend, you made me jealous for sure !!!

Hawk said:
Same here. What do you think carnut? Should we start saving some money? :)

I'm not carnut but yes, start saving money. Now! Don't wait until next week. Start right now! This very instant! Don't get the little extras at the supermarket. Oh, wait, you don't have those. Or do you? Do you have generics? See one less movie a month. And sneak your own popcorn and sodas into the ones you do go to. Turn the heater down a few degrees. Cut back on your CD buys for a few months. OK, that one's prolly not gonna happen. Come on. You can do it. Come on over and see us. It would be an absolute blast!!! I'd personally ensure that your beer tab would be significantly reduced.

Narcosynthesys68 said:

What I do for the next 2 years all depends on Culinary school ... I would love to go to Chicago!!! but I am not absolutely sure I could .... Hey man That lil doggy was cute!!!!.... ofcourse so was that chick :D .... it was Very cool to hang out with you and Kat!!!! I cant wait till we can do it again!!!! :wave:

Wheezer said:
:wave: :lol: I was a little worried about you but you pulled through and looked to be in pretty good shape on Saturday.

I must admit that after the Symphorce set... it gave me a little shot of adrenaline :D