When you saw the PP USA X video the first time...

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
Which bands that you had never heard before made an immediate impact on you within the 1-2 minutes they were on the screen? Did you rush out and by the disc in the vendor room the next day? Or play it cool and investigate them further once you got home?

Tomorrow's Eve - Decided to check out at home, enjoyed it a lot!
Power Quest - Checked out immediately at the vendor's the next day, it's pretty cool!
Sabaton - Checked out immediately at the vendor's the next day, FUCKING AMAZING!
DSO - Haven't checked them yet aside from two songs.
Royal Hunt - Haven't checked them yet (I know, it's ridiculous).

Sabaton grabbed my attention hardest, at the time, and I haven't been let down yet by what I've heard! We did go out (and by we, I mean my husband!) buy something from all the bands we had nothing on.

I bought Diablo Swing Orchestra. Been wanting to check them out for a while, so once they were announced figured now was as good of a time as any. But since I had heard their name before I guess they don't count for this.

Only band announced I hadn't heard of before was Tomorrow's Eve, and I decided to hold off till I got home and had a chance to check them out. The clip didn't indicate that I needed to buy anything immediately.

I hadn't listened to Royal Hunt or Brainstorm before, and decided to wait and check these out at home as well.

Bands I'd never heard before as requested in the OP.

Power Quest - had seen them mentioned around the boards but never actually listened to them. Bought their latest disc on Saturday.
Tomorrow's Eve - never heard of them before the video. Liked what I heard. Bought Mirror of Creation 1 disc on Saturday.
Sabaton - had never heard of them before the announcement but completely and utterly destroyed me within 30 seconds of hearing Attero Dominatus. Bought Attero on Saturday.
Royal Hunt - same as Power Quest. Heard of them but never listened to them. Liked the melodies and bought collision course on Saturday.
Andre Matos - pardon me for saying this but I didn't put 2 and 2 together with Andre Matos being the singer for Angra until later. I liked what I heard though and I bought solo album on Saturday.

I had only not heard of Tomorrow's Eve and I will be checking them out soon.

I LOVE the Matos solo release, new PQuest, new Royal Hunt and the new Sabaton is good just not as good as the others.

DSO aka Dinner and Socializing Outside. I cant stand swing music.

DSO aka Dinner and Socializing Outside. I cant stand swing music.

5.jpg

Nobody on Friday night save Royal Hunt made a positive impact on me... I took my time and listened to their mypace page in the next couple days but am not interested in them. Royal Hunt peaked my interest when I heard Mark Boals singing... I checked them out right away. I will say I was interested in how diverse DSO was but their music on their myspace page did nothing for me.
Saturday night MORE than makes up for my lack of interest in Friday night!

Sabaton really grabbed me..I played it cool & waited to check them out though; cd shopping wasn't in my PPUSA budget this year *sigh*.

Power Quest - Impressive
Tomorrow's Eve - Intriqued me
Sabaton - Was like a sonic gut punch
Royal Hunt - I'd heard of them, the clip made me wish I had checked them out already
Andre Matos - Not familiar with his solo material, but I loved what I heard

Being that these were the only bands I didn't know, I bought all their CD's the next day.

DSO was the first. Picked some stuff up after I got home. Pagans Mind and Circus Maximus as well. Got some stuff when I got home, still looking to get more.

Personally I'm going to look into every band I don't know this time though, shows are always better when you know the material.

Power Quest - Picked it up at Ken's table on Saturday. Good stuff.
Tomorrows Eve - Have not looked into them yet other than myspace but the clip in your movie peaked my interest.
DSO- Don't know if the clip did anything for me and I may get around to checking this out but I don't have high hopes. Should be a fun set though from what I have heard.

I think the video clip is a great to to introduce bands to a person who may not know a band vs. just dropping a name. I know everyone else on the bill which is huge for me.

QFT!!!

I went out and bought The Art of War the next day - at your recommendation - and nabbed it just before Hoyt got over to Exploding Ned's so... DOUBLE BONUS! :lol:

I hadn't heard any of the other bands announced on Friday either, but Sabaton was far and away the biggest "OHMYGODWHOTHEHELLISTHAT!?!?!?!" moment.

I have been investigating the other bands from what I can find on the internet and will hopefully be adding some new CD's to the collection soon from each.

I only just watched it and I have to say that Sabaton so far sounds awesome. Only one that really stands out just from the video aside from DSO which I already knew.
Anyone wanna tell me what Sabaton song that was so I know where to start?

Sabaton was far and away the biggest "OHMYGODWHOTHEHELLISTHAT!?!?!?!" moment.
This sums it up, but I'll elaborate a little more:

I haven't heard of Tomorrow's Eve and still haven't checked them out.

Had heard of Sabaton but never listened to them. Their video segment impressed the heck out of me! As soon as I got home I checked them out and fell in love. I've been listening to them a lot since then.

Same with DSO except I don't like them as much. They're alright, and I'm sure with time they will grow on me, but I'm not clamoring over them.

Royal Hunt I've loved for years but hadn't listened to them much lately. The video reminded me how much I like them so I've been listening a little more lately.

Andre Matos: I knew his name of course, but was/am unfamiliar with his solo material and Shaman. I was impressed that he covered a Sisters of Mercy song; that caught my attention. I've been listening to a few things here and there, but not a lot.

I'm excited about Power Quest but haven't listened to them in the last week.

I'm already extremely familiar with all the Saturday night bands, and some of them are in regular rotation in my player. Only Orphaned Land has had some increased plays, and that is definitely due to the video reminding me how much I love this band. Hearing that song played loud and the crowd cheering was really energizing!

I did not run to the vendor's room to buy any of the discs, but that's just because I was on limited funds. I might have only bought a Sabaton disc if I had the extra cash. Maybe DSO, too. Otherwise, I'd wait until I get home to check out the rest a little more before buying mp3s or CDs.

Nobody on Friday night save Royal Hunt made a positive impact on me... I took my time and listened to their mypace page in the next couple days but am not interested in them.
Saturday night MORE than makes up for my lack of interest in Friday night!

I have to admit this one puzzles me in regards to Sabaton. I know you like Brainstorm and Oliva. Sabaton fits right in that groove. "Attero Dominatus" (the one on the PPX video) is a faster tune, but they have some monster catchy mid-tempo tunes as well.

"Cliffs of Gallipoli" is a prime example:

Last edited by a moderator: