When you saw the PP USA X video the first time...

DSO - Boggled me at first but damn catchy.. Still intrigued, working on buying album atm.
Power Quest - Love the singers voice right off the bat, gotta pick that up too..
Andre Matos - I fell in love with his solo stuff because if I didn't Milton would probably stop talking to me :)

I'm still financially recovering from this years PP so I need more pay checks to buy more cds.. oh and

150337_logo.jpg

I haven't checked out any of the bands I didn't know about yet.

DSO seems to be the most interesting to me, however, from what I heard.

I've been giving Art of War quite a bit of playtime, and while I undoubtedly love sabaton (Jumping around like a goofball when they were announced), I'd have to say it's no where near as badass as Primo Victoria or AD. There just isn't 2 or 3 songs that are hard, fast, and killer. I love the album for what it is, but it's just a little too reserved when compared. Cliffs of Gallipoli is just a fucking killer tune, but the whole album seems to follow this kind of flow.

Well...SABATON is the shit for me! Love 'em and can't wait to see them. I tried to get The Art of War CD from the vendors, but I missed out. I already own Attero Dominatus. The Art of War CD's were gone by the time I got in to shop at 3 on Saturday. BRAINSTORM I bought a ton of shit even on Friday before the announcement. My hunch paid off. I have 98% of their stuff now. D.S.O. does nothing for me at all. Not ragging them because there are people who like them and more power to 'em! PAGAN'S MIND's God's Equation was picked up by me on Friday afternoon before the announcement. Now I have all four of their albums. I like POWERQUEST, but own nothing by them yet. I've heard tunes elsewhere and will be purchasing soon. Bought the new ROYAL HUNT CD and the Live 2006 CD because I'm not familiar with them at all. ANDRE MATOS' new album I bought on Saturday of the fest. Haven't listened to it yet. TOMORROW'S EVE wre tough to find. I bought the first two CD's from CDInzane. Haven't listened yet. CIRCUS MAXIMUS I bought Isolate(Japanese release) from CDInzane. I own both albums now. ORPHANED LAND's Mabool I used to own, but traded in. I think I may buy it again and give it one more shot because I love uniqueness and that fits them. This leaves FATES WARNING. I'm gonna get hammered for this, but I'm gonna say it anyway. Until PPIX, I only owned FWX. I hated Disconnected. I saw them with SAVATAGE for that album and found that a root canal was more fun than them live. But...at PPIX I bought the deluxe editions of Awaken the Guardian, No Exit, and Perfect Symmetry. What I have heard of FW that I liked only went up to and including Parallels. Keep this in mind while you're laughing at me here. I'm almost 40 and when I was growing up in high school, my group of friends and I listened to Maiden, Priest, thrash metal, and anything NWOBHM related. Also, hair metal crept in and the obligatory LED ZEPPELIN and DEEP PURPLE. The only "prog" music I knew was RUSH. Love them still to this day. It's not that I really don't like FW, I'm just not very familiar. I can't really say how much I liked anything I bought yet because I'm still cramming for the KAMELOT/EDGUY and AMON AMARTH, ENSIFERUM, BELPHEGOR, THE ABSENCE shows next week. I do like the PPX lineup and I sincerely hope it stays intact.

Power Quest - Picked up Master of Illusion Saturday. Not so much for me...but we'll see.

Tomorrow's Eve - Picked up Mirror of Creation on Saturday. Not so bad...

Sabaton - Picked up Attero Dominatus on Saturday. This was the band that my ears perked up to during the annoucement.

Royal Hunt - Picked up Collision Course on Saturday. I've yet to listen.

Andre Matos - Purchased nothing yet. I had no idea that he sang for Angra until reading this thread. I'm not an Angra fan. But I will be getting a few of his solo cd's to check out.

Everyone else on the bill....I own all their cd's!

Just recently got into Sabaton, a couple months or so before the fest....They are bumped to the top of my "to buy" list.
Intrigued by Tomorrow's Eve, will sample a bit of them before deciding. Been a huge fan of Brainstorm since the debut. Already familiar with DSO, as they tick my weird music gene quite nicely, much the same way Volbeat & Freak Kitchen do. PM & CM are already in my usual rotation , so, nothing made me sprint to the vendor room, as I was on a limited budget this year, and I desperately needed to pick up the new Evergrey, and a couple of Morglbl cds, as well as Sister Sin. My budget was met at this point. Looking forward to working with & hearing ALL the bands next year. I will be sonically prepared! It's gonna slay! :headbang:

The answer is a little of both...although I rarely "play it cool." I always cannonball my way through life. So I immediately bought all the CDs from Sabaton, Orphaned Land, Power Quest, and DSO -- the four bands with which I was less familiar. They made the biggest impact on me.

Regarding Sabaton, it wasn't necessarily the video announcement that spurred me on. It was when you (Glenn) wrote this: "Furthermore, my PERSONAL opinion is that Sabaton's The Art of War is the power metal album of the year. Period. It's not even close."

I've learned over the years that when you're passionate about a band it behooves me to pay attention. So the first CD of the bunch I listened to is The Art of War.

I agree with you. The Art of War is an ass kicker. For me, Sabaton is the band that, as of this moment, I'm the most jazzed to see.

Orphaned Land fascinates me. I listened to as much of their music online as I could, intrigued by all of it. Then I ordered their back catalog (which was difficult because their CDs aren't easy to find). The same thing happened with Power Quest. I previewed their CDs online, then sought them out and bought them.

So far, DSO is a "meh" band for me, although Ken Golden tells me "I think they will blow everyone's mind. You will love them." (I've learned to listen to Ken, too. He knows his shit.) When DSO's CD arrives, I'll pop it in...and hope that Glenn and Ken are correct about DSO.

I was familiar with all other bands and have most of their CDs.

So the four bands that I was most intrigued by and immediately bought CDs for are Sabaton, Orphaned Land, Power Quest, and DSO. Two of those purchases (Sabaton and DSO) were more because of Glenn and Ken than they were because of the announcement video. Sometimes I'll hear a band and not really hear it until someone who's more familiar with it shares his/her passion about it. Then I get into it, too. You know what I mean?

Bill

I always buy at least one CD from the bands I don't know. So I loved the overall video presentation...but the big decision factors for me in the vendor room on Saturday were (1) me actually remembering the band's names and (2) the vendors having CDs in stock.

If we have an announcement again next year on Friday, I think the vendors next year could sell a boatload of CDs on Saturday if they separated out the CDs from all the newly announced bands so that they were easy to find.

I have to admit this one puzzles me in regards to Sabaton. I know you like Brainstorm and Oliva. Sabaton fits right in that groove. "Attero Dominatus" (the one on the PPX video) is a faster tune, but they have some monster catchy mid-tempo tunes as well.

"Cliffs of Gallipoli" is a prime example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOCe2Y7iVF8

Why is it so easy to imagine a female lead singer in there and suddenly they become a lot like Nightwish?

Sabaton==Number one band for Friday night, IMO.

Power Quest and DSO were the ones that made an impression on me. I did pick up the PQ cd and tho I find it a bit cheesy, there are some good songs on there.

Jason

DSO aka Dinner and Socializing Outside. I cant stand swing music.

DSO was the biggest impact on me... they are my #1 most anticipated band on next year's roster, and it was specifically because of the minute or two from the video. And for the record, swing is my favorite type of non-metal music these days.

To a lesser extent, Sabaton also piqued my curiosity, having never heard them before. Sound like some HEAVY stuff! I haven't had time to research either band yet on my own, though.

Tomorrow's Eve had a similar impact to Sabaton, for me, but it was from the 1-2 minutes I heard on Krusty's Zune about a month ago, before ever seeing the video. :)

Definately Tomorrow's Eve and Andre Matos.

I didn't know of Andre, but I know of Angra and Shaaman - so I had a feeling of what the music was like, but had not heard his solo work.

Most everyone else I either at least knew of them already, or I know them very well.

First time I actually knew all of them, though had not heard anything from Power Quest, Royal Hunt and Matos. Unfortunately none of those three really grabbed me from clips played (that I remember) and have not had much time to do any checking out since returning due to the PP anti-vacation.

My son Trav on the other hand had not heard of a few and immediately inquired about DSO (right up his alley) and will be ordering as we do not have.

We were both thrilled seeing Tomorrows Eve in the line up...killer band.

Unlike Bill/PurpleCrayonWriter, I *always* play it cool. I doubt there was a band that you could have put up for 90 seconds on a noisy video screen that would have made me rush to the table and buy CDs, if I had never heard them before. I always go home and check them out first. However:

* PP has led me to TONS of purchases, and I almost always wind up buying CDs to prep for the fest (not many have disappointed me). I think the only completely blind buy stemming from a PP announcement was Circus Maximus (which wound up being an astoundingly great choice).

* I love the Friday night announcement. I know it is more work for you to confirm all the bands before the show, but it is a very cool moment to hear the announcement along with 1000 other people. It definitely brings continuity to the fest, making it more of a yearly return, rather than a one time event.

Steve in Philly

I'm with everyone else about Sabaton - HOLY freakin HELL!!!! I went to buy their disc on Saturday to find all were gone... So when I get some $$$ I'll be pickin' up what I can find on them...

I've also been ordered by Fabio to get the newest Orphaned Land as well... so I must do as I am told...

I will say as far as the announcement as a whole - watching that place go absolutely f'n NUTS when Fates Warning was announced was KILLER... I thought the roof was comin' down!!!!

Well I love 80% of the bill lol but as for bands that grabbed me that I hadn't heard of before I'd have to say Tomorrow's Eve and Royal Hunt look pretty good to me...

I can't believe hardly anyone seems to have heard of Sabaton before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing...you're all gonna cream when you see them live, seriously, they're fookin amazing! :D Brainstorm too and OBVIOUSLY Power Quest :D

I'm saving like a mofo for this trip! :D

I have to admit this one puzzles me in regards to Sabaton. I know you like Brainstorm and Oliva. Sabaton fits right in that groove. "Attero Dominatus" (the one on the PPX video) is a faster tune, but they have some monster catchy mid-tempo tunes as well.

"Cliffs of Gallipoli" is a prime example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOCe2Y7iVF8

It's his voice... it does nothing for me, I like the music, well structured and catchy.... his voice just does nothing for me...Much like I never cared for Nightwish with Tarja, She has an excellent voice but for me it just rubs me the wrong way, I love Nightwish's music, just not with Tarja, I prefer Anette. I wasn't crazy about John West singing for Royal Hunt, but now that Mark Boals is singing I am looking forward to seeing them!
Back to Sabaton, I am curious to see them after looking into them some more and who knows maybe they will win me over live but initially they did nothing for me.

After hearing more DSO, they intrigue me just because of their diversity...Diversity is good...Not saying I am going to run out and by their CDs, but it's good to shake things up.

I saw the video on the ppusa site. I'd already gone to check out Sabaton on youtube when I first got word on who was playing, but while I was watching the video, it was DSO that made me go "huh, that's interesting" and nose up a few more samples.