Where are the Andre Matos fans??

I'm a huge fan of Matos. Angra albums are great, solo album is great, Virgo not so great. Don't care much for Viper either, although I might get burned at the stake by metal purists for that one.

But if there's one act that sells a ticket for me this year, it's Andre Matos. Been dying to see him forever.

Hello Adaher,

Me too, huge fan! When you say Angra albums, are you talking about them all? Because for me, from Fireworks onwards (including Fireworks itself, I didn't like it much) nothing counts :p

I understand you (and 99% of Matos fans!!) not liking Virgo, since it's pop music, not metal at all. I love it precisely because I'm a pop fan :p

Now, as for Viper...well, there's nothing to say except: they were kids LOL The first album is really crude, the only songs that can be saved are Soldiers of Sunrise and The Whipper. Still, they'd have to be worked on and further developed. As for Theater of Fate, I really don't see why any metal fan wouldn't like it, the melodies are very good, most songs are catchy...if you listen to Matos playing the medley A cry from the edge/Living for the Night nowadays, you'll see how these songs remain pretty "modern", not dated at all, they could easily fit into Time to be Free, for instance...

I like Angra better without Matos, actually. I think that the separation made both better. But Angels Cry, Holy Land, and Fireworks are all good albums.

I like pop music too, but Virgo is actually a little more experimental in parts and it usually doesn't work. There are a few good songs on there though.

The first Shaman album was good too. Second, not so much.

To me, the solo album is the best thing he's ever done.

I bought his solo cd after Glenn announced this years lineup. Love the cd and cannot wait to see him. Big fan here.

*raises hand*

I love the entire Holy Land album!

~ Jen

I'm new to this forum, but I haven't seen any topic related to the Andre Matos Band, and since they're going to play in Prog Power...!!!!

Aqui, PORRA!!!! :lol::lol::lol::headbang::headbang::headbang:

I don't think I need to say anything. People should know what I think of Andre by now. But, since you're new to the forum, I've been following Matos since I was still a kid living in Brazil. Been a fan of his music for a looooong time. Yet, I have never seen him live. This year will be my first, and I can't fucking wait!!

Hey Soso:) He's my favorite singer/band, so I'm incredibly excited to be able to see him live this year finally! I've been waiting since when Angra first formed, and I don't have to go all the way to Brazil to do it either.

I don't know where the rest of the fans are but I intend to be in front of the stage at PPX :D

In Japan.

((I like him. But he's not known as much for his solo material, but I think his recent album is good)).

I'm in. Andre is probably the best songwriter out there when it comes to arranging classical music with metal. If it wasn't for what he did with Angra, there would never have been a Rhapsody, and the whole genre would have been quite different, I think. The guy is a rare and total genious, and is my favorite songwriter next to Jon Oliva.

Frode

I've been a fan of Matos's work since I first heard "Holy Land" eleven years ago. I own all of his work with Angra (and I love all of it!), his first album with Shaman, and his second album with Viper. I think he has one of the most unique voices in metal, and he's a terrific songwriter to boot. He's one of the main reasons why I'm psyched to go to the fest this year.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Is his set going to focus just on Matos solo and Angra or will be be pulling out stuff from Shaman/Virgo/Viper as well?

I know that the majority of his fans are going to want mostly Angra stuff and possibly solo CD stuff too, but I don't know if he's going to do what Jorn did and basically go through everything. Personally, I'd want him just to focus on solo stuff and Angra, even though I'm not hugely familiar with most of his work. I can tell by the way this board goes crazy over the guy that I might need to get off my ass.

Matos usually plays a bit of everything. Here's the sample of a setlist in a show he played during his Time to be Free tour:

Ancient Winds
Wings of Reality
Distant Thunder
Menuett/Letting Go
Angels Cry
Lisbon
Rio
Nothing to Say
Living For the Night
A Cry From the Edge
Crazy Me
Fairy Tale
How Long(Unleashed Away)
Make Believe
Pride
Unfinished Allegro/Carry On
Rennaissanse

Thanks for the setlist, Milton. Not being extremely familiar with his body of work, I looked up where all the songs came from, and noticed that despite the fact that he does perform some Shaman songs, they all come from the album Ritual. Wonder why there are none from the other album (Reason)? Is it just not that good? Hmm...

yes, I have a screen-name on another forum "angra1" in fact. Here are some topics just with his name in the subject:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/progpower-usa/433523-doubt-andre-matos.html?highlight=Matos
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/progpower-usa/329110-andre-matos-time-free.html?highlight=Matos
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/progpower-usa/282291-new-andre-matos-track.html?highlight=Matos
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...ally-got-myspace-account.html?highlight=Matos

you could say his finally coming sealed-the-deal for me to return for the 1st time in 5 years/festivals. He is still probably my favorite singer, or falsetto singer and singer in Metal. Granted, that's hardly the only reason I'm such a fan of his. He does the writing, and frankly, when he left, to me, Angra was done. Rafael and Kiko never should have even considered using the Angra name at that point. The way I see it, keeping the Angra name, was purely for marketing purposes. But regardless of the fact they kept the name, in my mind, Angra became more or less a cliched Power Metal band after that point. While Andre formed Shaman and continued in the more experimental/progressive direction. Ritual was really good, Reason had it's moments. And his solo album from a couple of years ago was about on par with both of those. It more or less proved to me, when he does Rock-oriented songwriting, he's still a very talented individual. And he still has a lot of those outstanding vocal chops he did back with Angra.

Virgo and Looking-Glass-Self I like only for what they are. Not anything I've spent tons of time with, but as a fan, I still like that it's him. I probably could go for revisiting them in the coming months before PP. Viper as well. I can't claim to love it, but for what it is, it's okay. Rather raw, and not unlike many other early work from musicians who went on to greater things soon thereafter.

I've wanted to see the man sing for over 12 years, and finally this September I'll have that chance thankfully. I imagine I'm not the only one whose been hoping for the same for quite some time.